Rider weight and spoke count

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 0302

What do you guys think about a rider weighing less than 200lbs (90kg) rider on a rear wheel with 20 spokes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dogma85

by dogma85

Good to go, BUT be skillful in avoiding obstacles. Also, take care while descending when you need to make U turn and/or rapidly slow down (could happen to broke some spoke there, too). I got a friend with 100kg, riding, racing, all intact but he is pretty skillful to avoid troubles. Right now he is riding some 18 spokes rear wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

If it's a stiff carbon rim and very heavy gauge spokes, it might be ok.

sawyer

by sawyer

Other things being equal it will be weaker than more spokes, but the strength of the rim, hub design, lacing etc are all relevant
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I weigh 215lbs now but when I first bought my bike weighed 260lbs and it came with a set of Ultegra 6700 wheels that have a 16/20 spoke count. I've never had an issue with these wheels so any company or wheel builder who says I need more spokes probably doesn't have the skills required to tension the spokes properly or is selling an inferior rim. Right now I'm looking to buy a set of Easton Aero55's that have a 16/20 spoke count and no rider weight limit, sure the low spoke count gives me pause but I believe they can build a wheel correctly and they use a premium rim.

acetonehk

by acetonehk

Not only the number but also the section area influence the wheel stiffness.
With the spokes like DT champion you can get a solid wheel, but heavier than 20* DT revolution. However you need to find out your personal balance between the weight, stiffness and price.

Of course the most accurate answer is like sawyer said, more mechanical parameters taken into account.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

If it's built by a skilled builder, you should be OK provided the spokes, rim and build are up to it. If you're referring to a system wheelset with that number of spokes, you should have no trouble at all.

On the other hand, I don't recommend this as a DIY project.
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

Zoro

by Zoro

I am over that. No issue with the right spokes and rims.
40 mm profile fine.

ethanfiamingo

by ethanfiamingo

I would do some research before listing to the responses above... many builders would recommend 24h for riders over 195.

Now I'm not saying that you WILL have a problem if you do 20h, but why not be SURE? Yeah its a few grams but a significant amount more strength that will also provide peace of mind while hammering, better power transfer and more solid cornering.

You never mentioned what kind of wheel, or riding that you do.

austke

by austke

This is weight weenies. Go for it. :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by 0302

Decided not to pull the trigger. Wheels were Zipp 101s and I had some reservations about rim cracking especially with that low of a spoke count.

I then realized that my Fulcrum Racing 3s (2011 model) were a 21 spoke wheel and I rode them at 215lbs. I think I am going to end up getting the new Racing 5 LG and they have a spoke count of 20 also, but I'm confident in the Fulcrum/Campy product since I've ridden them for so long and I'm now down to 185lbs.

F45

by F45

Interesting how Fulcrum went from triplet lacing to copying Shimano with the 20 hole asymmetric rim. You know you can get the Racing 3 from various suppliers for about $400.

martinko

by martinko

austke wrote:This is weight weenies. Go for it. :)

Little off-topic - no pun intended.
I sometimes feel that weight weenies should be concerned by their weight first, then by their bike's. :-) Including myself :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com