Sub 7.3 kg/6.4 kg 29'er project buildthread finished pic p 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

being busy is not an excuse to ship only 1 tire when the customer has paid for 2.

that sucks.

anyways, awesome chainrings there.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

The tool from Strobbekoen has arrived (Thanx! :thumbup: ), and the bike is complete. Final weight is 7.22 kgs. Will post a on-scale photo later on along with some nice photos of the complete bike if I get the time to take them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

It was nice weather today, so I took some photos. I've had 2x30 minutes on it on fireroads, and have experienced the following:

* I modified the gripshifters to make them work better. At first the springs in the f+r derailleur was too strong, so the shifters couldn't hold the wire back. I increased friction, made the cutouts deeper and sharper, and I made the tiny spring in the gripshifters stronger and with a larger tap to engage the cutouts. The result was a crispier shifter that just works better. I'm 90% sure I'll change them to either XX triggers or X.0 gripshifters. I just don't know which...

* To quote a fellow ww member: It climbs like a homesick angel.

* The frame feels stable and nice in fast descents, and it's rigid enough to pack a punch when I want it to. I can't wait to put my Racing Ralphs on and ride it harder! :twisted:

* The fork works excellent, but it's noticeably flexier than the 26"

* The wheels are stiff and fast as hell!

* The saddle is awesome. As long as I don't sit on it like a potato sack and bumping on it all the time it's just as comfortable as the old speedneedle with a standard post.

* As soon as the brakes sets they brake more than good enough for me. I've only tried them in sunny weather yet though.

* No noticeable flex in the crankset and the chainrings shift very well. Now I just have to experience wether the ratio works for me or not.

* The rear derailleur and cassette has REALLY crisp shifting. It's very easy consice and precise shifting, and it's not hard to tell if it changed gears or not to say the least.

PICTURE TIME!

On railtracks by Martin.F., on Flickr

With view 2 by Martin.F., on Flickr

In alley 1 by Martin.F., on Flickr

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Martin.F., on Flickr

Front of grafitti 2 by Martin.F., on Flickr

Closeup by Martin.F., on Flickr

Closeup1 by Martin.F., on Flickr

Drivetrain by Martin.F., on Flickr

tskubi

by tskubi

Alsolutely stunning ! Congrats !
Enjoy your time under the sun.. and when its cold and dark don't worry too much, the world will keep spinning and your time in the sun will come again.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Amazing! :thumbup:

Liggero

by Liggero

so much waiting and then we see that the frame is not your size... quite disappointing, get a frame one size smaller.
Happy Trails !!!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I don't really think it's a size too large. I run a 100mm stem and I have around 3 cm of drop. Should I drop one size and run a 120mm stem?

Out of curiosity, what makes you say it's too large?

Liggero

by Liggero

I might be wrong of course, but seems like a huge frame with very little seatpost out. Also in my opinion looks a bit weird... seems like rider will go too stretched out. A smaller size with the same stem will be more handy to ride, more comfortable.
Happy Trails !!!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I see your point. If I did a lot of singletrackriding I would get the size down and raise the stem for nimbleness, agility and handling, but for the fireroadracing I do (I'm too much of a roadie for the HC stuff), I prefer the high speed stability provided by longer wheelbase and the aerodynamics of going low. I've always fit in between 16" and 18" frames, and I've usually upped the size for these reasons.

Each to his own I guess, but of course, if it feels wrong after a few races and trainings, I'll just change it.

cerro

by cerro

Nice bike, even for a Vipera ;)

Liggero

by Liggero

Martin.F wrote:I see your point. If I did a lot of singletrackriding I would get the size down and raise the stem for nimbleness, agility and handling, but for the fireroadracing I do (I'm too much of a roadie for the HC stuff), I prefer the high speed stability provided by longer wheelbase and the aerodynamics of going low. I've always fit in between 16" and 18" frames, and I've usually upped the size for these reasons.

Each to his own I guess, but of course, if it feels wrong after a few races and trainings, I'll just change it.

very good reasoning, makes sense, then it must be your size, although a smaller size can also be enlarged with delayed seatpost or the like. anyway, awesome bike.
Happy Trails !!!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I don't think your bike looks too small, the size looks fine :smartass:
Looks fast! :thumbup:

toxina

by toxina

Dream bike, even with a chinese carbon frame ( the one i would choose for me ), unbeliveble.

With carbon fork it's even a greather dream.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am trying to go full rigid but I am also trying to get a trigon carbon fork stupid cheap to get there which has not been easy. I am pretty sure I can get sub 6.8kg then.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Martin.F

by Martin.F

So I put on my Racing Ralphs and did 6 hours on it yesterday. No sore ass :thumbup: :mrgreen: Lots of singletrack, lots of fireroads, lots of rocky sections and roots. I even did a couple of 2-foot drops (I know! :unbelievable: ). The bike feels pretty great to say the least. Climbs well, brakes well, feels precise (enough) on fast descents and twisty sections. Have been not precise enough in assembling the crank, so had to re-tighten a few times during the ride. No biggie. Put on some loctite today.

Updates: Recieved my rigid carbon fork. 540g uncut in matte 3k (they sent wrong fork... I wanted UD), will need to cut it, so hopefully around 510-520 when cut to length. Also, the brakes worked so well I thought I'd might give Scrub a try. So I'm doing that, a couple of white workhorses (slightly used) on the way.

Rigid with maxxlites and the new rotors should be around 6.25kg including 1 Bontrager RXL bottle cage.

I'm in touch with a couple of people regarding a new road bike project. I'm dreaming of something Italian...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com