Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:04 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Workswell WCB-R-081
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:01 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've been a reader for a couple of months and found plenty of valuable information on this board, in particular on chinese open mold frames. Now that I finally got one myself. It's a Workswell WCB-R-081 in size 52 with direct mount disc brakes, through axles, and PF30 BB. The frame is also sold under the brand name Sobato Aero.

The frame weights 1106 g (including 5 bottle cage steel screws) and the fork is 408 g (with virgin steer tube). That's more than 100 g over the advertised value which kinda sucks...

Here's a pic of what I cobbled together (sorry, didn't have time yet to take some proper pics). SRAM Red22 (mechanical), DT Swiss R38 Spline C db wheels, Ritchey WCS stem and bars. Nothing super fancy.
At the moment it's about 7,2 kg. My goal is to get it below 7,0 kg with pimped-out speedplays, Extralite chainrings and Tune through axles.

Cheers, Philipp

Attachments:
IMG_6127_medium.jpg
IMG_6127_medium.jpg [ 9.68 KiB | Viewed 1391 times ]

Post subject: Re: Workswell WCB-R-081
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:50 pm 

Sweet!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:50 pm 

I'm really interested in your build, as I'm looking at this frame as a possible alternative to the Flyxii FR-320. Would love to see more photos and comments, especially of the tire clearance at the fork and seat tube.

Did you buy directly from Workswell and how was the price/lead time? Is the weight you quoted for the bare frame (+ cage bolts) or does that include the der. hanger/integrated seatpost clamp?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:47 pm 

Tire clearance is about 33 mm, so up to 28 mm tires should be ok.

I bought via Aliexpress from this shop: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1961553. Generally, they were friendly and helpful and after all, I got exactly what I wanted. However, the lead time was much more than promised. The made up all kinds of excuses why the shipping is delayed. At some point they even gave me a made-up shipping number. I think overall I had to wait almost two month. (On a side note, I don't think they meant to be dishonest or so. In China it's just the way things work. You try to secure deals and safe everyones face At least that's the impression I got when I was living in China for a while).

The weight of the frame includes hangers, clamps, and screws. Not that I got the disk brake version. The weight of the rim brake frame might or might not be the same.

The seatpost is pretty light btw. 168 g including steel bolts (replaced them with black titanium bolts the other day).

Attachments:
IMG_5973.jpg
IMG_5973.jpg [ 7.22 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_5974.jpg
IMG_5974.jpg [ 5.73 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_5975.jpg
IMG_5975.jpg [ 6.66 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg [ 6.89 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_5984.jpg
IMG_5984.jpg [ 9.21 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_5985.jpg
IMG_5985.jpg [ 8.51 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]
IMG_6009.jpg
IMG_6009.jpg [ 8.24 KiB | Viewed 1059 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:52 pm 

Thanks Philipp. I'm especially interested in tire clearance as far as fitting a fender in the back. It doesn't look feasible though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 am 

Regular fender probably won't fit. SKS Raceblades Pro might be an option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 am 

PhilippCX wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been a reader for a couple of months and found plenty of valuable information on this board, in particular on chinese open mold frames. Now that I finally got one myself. It's a Workswell WCB-R-081 in size 52 with direct mount disc brakes, through axles, and PF30 BB. The frame is also sold under the brand name Sobato Aero.

The frame weights 1106 g (including 5 bottle cage steel screws) and the fork is 408 g (with virgin steer tube). That's more than 100 g over the advertised value which kinda sucks...

Here's a pic of what I cobbled together (sorry, didn't have time yet to take some proper pics). SRAM Red22 (mechanical), DT Swiss R38 Spline C db wheels, Ritchey WCS stem and bars. Nothing super fancy.
At the moment it's about 7,2 kg. My goal is to get it below 7,0 kg with pimped-out speedplays, Extralite chainrings and Tune through axles.

Cheers, Philipp

Hi Philipp

I've been looking at this frame recently but couldnt find much info on it - what do you think of the bike? How does it handle? is it stiff etc..?? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Any feedback you could give would be much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:29 pm 

As a disclaimer: I put only about 750 km on it, so obviously I can't judge the long-term qualities yet.

So far, I'm impressed. The frame is well made and apart from the fact that it's a bit heavy, there is nothing inferior about it compared to the big brands. The finish is nice and the carbon layup does in no way look like a botch job at all.

Regarding the ride quality, it's hard to judge what the contribution of the frame is. I haven't tested any of the components on another frame for comparison. That being said, it feels very nice and smooth.
It's also stiff enough for my liking. The pads of the disc brakes are only fractions of a milimeter away from the rotors and thus serve as are a good indicator for any flex. So far, there's only very minor rubbing during hard sprints on the front end.

Oh, one thing though: the fit of the upper headset bearing is a bit sloppy which caused some creaking during hard efforts. I was able to fix it with a strip of electrical tape. No issues since. Maybe I will fix this properly during the winter.
Should you order this frame, point this out to the sales agent and directly tell them you would not accept a sloppy fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm 

Overall sounds good then! I'm keeping this one on my shortlist! :)

Many thanks for taking time to reply.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:05 pm 

PhilippCX wrote:
Regular fender probably won't fit. SKS Raceblades Pro might be an option.

Thanks! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am 

I'm about to purchase one of these. Just wondering if the OP had any long term feedback.

Been quoted $571 which includes a custom paint job and delivery to the UK.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 am 

bikergrove wrote:
I'm about to purchase one of these. Just wondering if the OP had any long term feedback.

Been quoted $571 which includes a custom paint job and delivery to the UK.

I put about 2500 km on it by now and I am still a happy camper. No issues so far other than the sloppy head set fit. Make sure you point this out to them.

For the unpainted frame and a pair of thru-axles I paid $495 incl. delivery. So you might be able to bring down the price a bit. Did they give you a quote for the paint job only?