The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

Here is my 2010 54cm CAAD9. 15.3lbs. Looking into getting sram red parts to get closer into the 14s. Great bike so far. Started out as a stock 9-4. Stem will be lowered soon but not slammed. Seat position is far forward I know but its comfortable and that's where my fitter placed it. Here is a build list.

Frame = 2010 CAAD9 54cm
Fork = stock premium full carbon
Headset = ultrastar with tune top cap
Brakes = planet x cnc
FD = SRAM rival
RD = SRAM rival
Cables = gore sealed brake and shift (will replace with gore sealed lightweight set)
Chain = KMC X10SL gold
Cassette = SRAM red 11-25
Seatpost = kcnc ti pro lite with kcnc collar
Saddle = San Marco regal carbon
Crankset = SRAM force bb30 standard
Pedals = Speedplay with ward ti spindles
Cages = eBay carbon
Wheels = Williams 38c
Tires= veloflex corsa 22
Tubes = vittoria latex
Handlebars = Williams elan
Stem = kcnc team issue
Levers = SRAM rival
Tape = PRO race
Skewers= kcnc ti

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by nickf on Tue May 15, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Here's my 2009 CAAD 9 with BB30. There's a thread somewhere on here of it's original build. I sold it two years ago and bought it back off the guy a month ago and upgraded a few things.

58cm frame with Cane Creek 110IS headset and Salsa Lip Lock seat clamp.
Enve 2.0 fork, stem, compact bar and 25mm offset seat post.
SRAM Red group with S975 Quarq cranks, new XG-1090 cassette and black KMC X10SL chain. Yokozuna Reaction cables make a massive difference so I see no reason to upgrade to the newer Red at this time.
DT 240s hubs, Aerolite spokes, Velocity A23 rims. Specialized Roubaix Pro 25c tyres with Michelin Latex tubes.

Last edited by Hi|ikus on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shut up legs and do what I tell you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarz

by tarz

don't need to quote pic's guys

Now that's a nice CAAD!

Weight should be pretty good on that as well.....

How are you finding the bar and stem combo?

mattlawro

by mattlawro

Very nice CAAD9, I'd paint the fork gloss black to match the frame.
Good job.

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

Thanks for the compliments.

Weight is about 7.5kg as it sits with the Ultegra carbon pedals, though with my red Chris King R45/Ambrosio F20/CX-Ray wheels with Evo Corsa CX 320tpi tubs it's just over 7kg I think.

The bar and stem combo is very nice. Very stiff while sprinting yet nice and light, I also like the bar shape a lot.

As far as paint goes, I'm planning on getting the ENVE logos of the forks and maybe the post and stem also, painted red and having those bits gloss clear coated.

AaronT

by AaronT

I really love that KTMesque paint job!
ross wrote:At first you were like hurr. And then you derped

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Just picked up a wired SRM :D which completes my bike.

~6.6kg with Climbing kit; KCNC CB1 brakes, KCNC 11-23 cassette, compact gears and Zipp303's with Vittoria Crono's.

~7.8kg with general training/racing kit; DA7900 brakes, DA7900 12-25 cassette, SRM and Ksyrium's with Forte Pro+

leosantos

by leosantos

a climbing kit has a 23 cassette? does it have to do with %grades where you live? beautiful bike btw, I had a caad9 and loved it! how did u like those 303s? what similar wheels have you tried?

natefontaine

by natefontaine

The 303's are the only tubs I have ridden on the road so I cannot compare. I find the 303's to be a great all around wheelset but have resign them for climbing only (read: vittoria crono tubulars) and use the Mavics for everything else. I just got the KCNC cassette a month ago and haven't tried it out. It may not be a good idea at all, I'll report after the hill climb in September. 34/23 is taller than the 39/25 I use for training, that way I get "one" more gear than I normally use. In shape I'm at 62kg with >300w threshold plus Tucson has <6% steady with maybe a 15% for .5km at the steepest.

CamW

by CamW

Hi|ikus wrote:DT 240s hubs, Aerolite spokes, Velocity A23 rims. Specialized Roubaix Pro 25c tyres with Michelin Latex tubes.

I have similar wheels and am contemplating running 25's for winter. I realize this sort of question goes around a bit but are you able to compare 23's and 25's on these rims?

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Anybody know where to get Caad 10 frames in europe ??

cerro

by cerro

From your local dealer? Or ebay

yrodriguez317

by yrodriguez317

With Training Wheels (Some time ago)

Hi|ikus

by Hi|ikus

CamW wrote: I have similar wheels and am contemplating running 25's for winter. I realize this sort of question goes around a bit but are you able to compare 23's and 25's on these rims?

I've run 23mm tyres on these rims (not these exact wheels) before. Maxxis Radiale 23c with Michelin Latex tubes at 90psi front and 95psi rear. For 25mm tyres these wider rims are exceptional. I'm 100kg and run these tyres at 85psi front and 90psi rear and there is no flopping around when cornering hard. Comfort wise I'm not sure as the Specialized Roubaix tyres are 120tpi where as the Radiale is meant to be even better than a 320tpi tyre thanks to it's construction. Whether or not this is the case I'm not sure but I did feel the Radiale set up was smooth. I changed to those tyres and the A23 rims at the same time though so it's not an accurate review of either product. Some 320tpi Vittoria Pave 24mm clinchers would be exceptionally smooth and I think I'll most likely get a pair when these wear out. If only they did them in just black... I wish Veloflex made open versions of the Roubaix or Arenberg.

@yrodriguez317

Your CAAD 10 looks bad ass with those deep wheels! If my 9 cracks that's the colour option I want to replace it with.

KWalker

by KWalker

Hi|ikus wrote:
CamW wrote: I have similar wheels and am contemplating running 25's for winter. I realize this sort of question goes around a bit but are you able to compare 23's and 25's on these rims?

I've run 23mm tyres on these rims (not these exact wheels) before. Maxxis Radiale 23c with Michelin Latex tubes at 90psi front and 95psi rear. For 25mm tyres these wider rims are exceptional. I'm 100kg and run these tyres at 85psi front and 90psi rear and there is no flopping around when cornering hard. Comfort wise I'm not sure as the Specialized Roubaix tyres are 120tpi where as the Radiale is meant to be even better than a 320tpi tyre thanks to it's construction. Whether or not this is the case I'm not sure but I did feel the Radiale set up was smooth. I changed to those tyres and the A23 rims at the same time though so it's not an accurate review of either product. Some 320tpi Vittoria Pave 24mm clinchers would be exceptionally smooth and I think I'll most likely get a pair when these wear out. If only they did them in just black... I wish Veloflex made open versions of the Roubaix or Arenberg.

@yrodriguez317

Your CAAD 10 looks bad ass with those deep wheels! If my 9 cracks that's the colour option I want to replace it with.

Radiales suck and TPI count doesn't matter in regards to the type of tire a Specialized Roubaix is. Yes, the casing is a bit less supple, but they rely more on the durometer of the rubber to create comfort.

I've ridden 23mm rims for 2 years, every tire type and width. I believe that even though the contact patch is supposedly optimized for 23s, 25s feel a bit more surefooted and comfortable with them, however, they seem to bubble beyond the labeled dimension. My Roubaixs and 25mm Pro 3's were both around 27-27.5 when calipered.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com