The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

MarkW91

by MarkW91

I updated my CAAD 8 a while ago. The only regret is that i miss the Ksyriums;)

Old: Image

New: Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

MarkW91 wrote: The only regret is that i miss the Ksyriums;)
]

@ juanacity, 10 degree thomson stem? could we see a side shot of that please?
me gusta :thumbup:

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Here's mine. First ride with the wheels yesterday, I wasn't going fast as I'm coming back from a dislocated knee. They are so sick. End of.

I also have an Si fork coming, the silly light one made by Time. :twisted:

ecguevara

by ecguevara

Updates on my CAAD10 'Team Edition'

New seatpost - Ritchey Superlogic Carbon
New stem - Ritchey C260 (black)
New saddle - Specialized Romin Expert (Ti rails)
New pedals - Exustar E-PR70P
New bartape - fi!zi:k Microtex (green)

New decals on the headtube/fork. Changed decals on the toptube as well.

damo

by damo

I've managed to gouge a hole into my forks on my 2012 CAAD. I'm annoyed and would like to replace them.
Any recommendations? Anywhere I can buy stock forks?

juanacity

by juanacity

Hey quattrings, thanks for the thumbs up. Yep, that is a 120mm x -10, Thomson X2. Thomson components aren't real weight weenies but I just really like the looks and have had a thing for their products ever since my LBS owner as a kid always had his fancy bikes decked out in Thomson stuff-funny how some impressions stick.

I'll try to get some better pictures shortly, but right now I am fiddling with a couple fit issues and I have some spacers above the stem so obviously I can't take a picture like that.

Has anyone had a problem with tons of creaking sounds when using the new Cannondale ultralight expander plug and topcap? If there are any tips I would appreciate hearing because no matter how much I torque it, it still creaks/cracks like crazy. Also does anyone know where I can buy Stronglight CT2 chainrings online? XX Cycle has the best prices I've seen, but they are out of stock of the 110 bcd 52t outer ring. Thanks!

phlip

by phlip

ecguevara, that's the best looking CAAD10 I've seen!

quattrings

by quattrings

@juanacity
Yeah big Thomson fan myself. I have the X2 stem on the TT bike but I have given it some thought getting one for the road bike as well. It's a really stiff stem. Thomson stuff isn't super light but it is dependable and well engineered.

Regarding the Cannondale expander, it's working great here. Does the job just as good as the heavy FSA expander it replaced, only lighter.

Stronglight rings are available here: http://www.bike-components.de/advanced_ ... ight%20ct2
Don't know if it's of any help to you.

ecguevara

by ecguevara

phlip wrote:ecguevara, that's the best looking CAAD10 I've seen!

Dankeschön, herr phlip :-)

ecguevara

by ecguevara

juanacity wrote:Has anyone had a problem with tons of creaking sounds when using the new Cannondale ultralight expander plug and topcap? If there are any tips I would appreciate hearing because no matter how much I torque it, it still creaks/cracks like crazy.

The expander and top cap are used to apply preload on the headset bearings. Once the bearings have been properly loaded (no more play/movement on the fork) the stem bolts are then finally tightened onto the steerer tube. After this, the expander and top cap have no more use, and can even be removed.

The creaking is probably due to an overloaded bearing, due to overtightening of the expander. Just tighten it enough until play disappears then do the final tightening/securing on the stem bolts.

numberSix

by numberSix

headset tension instructions, see p. 15:
http://media.cannondale.com/media/manuals/2011_webOMS_01_english/2011_webOMS_126884_SuperSixEVO_EN.pdf

On a carbon steerer-tube fork, the top cap and expander provide critical support to the steerer. It is not advisable to remove it once the stem bolts are tightened. The teeth you save may be your own.

On creaking, you have hardened steel bearings on aluminum seats. I would advise a thin layer of waterproof grease on each, and the correct preload to eliminate play but not overload the bearings. It'll need cleaning/renewal 1-2 times a season, depending how much rain/crud you ride in.

bike4beer

by bike4beer

Sorry for the iphone photo, but after my Scandium frame died (never going back) I swapped all my race build onto my old 2001 CAAD4 r800. She weighs in at 16 lbs with pedals with the power tap wheelset :). Just put her through the paces at the Spy Belgian Waffle Ride. You could hardly tell she's that old. Still puts down the wattage! Need to throw on the climbing wheels and see how low she goes.

Build:

Easton EC90 Cockpit.
Fizik Antares Braided Rails
Easton EA90SLX Wheels w/ Cycleops Power Tap
Bontrager XXX-Lite Cages
Chris King Black on Black Headset
SRAM Red 2012 Compact Crank
Praxis 50/34 Chain Rings
KMC X10SL Gold Chain
SRAM Red 2012 11-28 Cassette
SRAM Red 2012 Shifters
SRAM Red 2012 Brakes
SRAM Red 2013 Front Derailleur
SRAM Red 2013 Rear Derailler
Speedplay SS Zero Pedals

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

My new CAAD10 Black Inc. Upgraded to Hollowgrams, Record Headset and updated cockpit (Record Seatpost, SLR TT, Deda Zero 100 Stem and Pro Vibe 7S Rounds).

Headset, seatpost and saddle were all salvaged off my damaged CAAD9. I have to say coming off Record 11 I am loving Di2, you obviously don't get that tactile, mechanical click of the feedback of cable being pulled but the shifting is so easy. I do find myself ghost shifting at the non-existent thumb lever every now and then but that will just be a matter of time!

IMG_5512.jpg

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

ecguevara wrote:Updates on my CAAD10 'Team Edition'

New seatpost - Ritchey Superlogic Carbon
New stem - Ritchey C260 (black)
New saddle - Specialized Romin Expert (Ti rails)
New pedals - Exustar E-PR70P
New bartape - fi!zi:k Microtex (green)

New decals on the headtube/fork. Changed decals on the toptube as well.

Great looking CAAD, ecguevara! Mind sharing where you got the new decals? I'm assuming they're over the clear coat, I'd love to see a close up of how they look on top of the paint. I'm considering having my CAAD10 Raw re-sprayed and I'm trying to figure out a decal solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com