The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Have been a reader for years but sometimes I wanted to react. This tread deserves an acount!
Beautiful CAAD12!

Been planning to buy one myself to replace my TCR advanced (chorus).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flatusboy

by flatusboy

Lots of beautiful bikes in here...

I only saw 1 Di2 build...has anyone built up a CAAD12 (disc) with Di2?
Trying to find some pics or a lits of grommets, etc that were used.
Real question is routing around the BB. I know the Synapse has a cover that you need to get to protect the e-tubes.

Thanks in advance

Slagter

by Slagter

Slagter wrote:Just bought a frame with the color shown on the pic below. I just had to buy a Caad 10, but I don't like the color. I haven't found a single Caad 10 with that color scheme, that looks good. Not in this topic, not anywhere else. Has anyone seen a Caad 10 with this color that looks good?

Finally manned up and put some decent wheels on the bike and took a picture.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Sort of a budget build, I found parts here and there. A frame that was used but unused.
Cannondale CAADX
Rival Hydro R with long cage rear derailleur
Already had a BB30 crankset from a 2010 CAADX I had. I'm not sure what I'll do in that area. Maybe I will install my Quarq (after my TT season is done in two weeks) with a Woolftooth 42T and have a 1x drivetrain.

Wheels on the picture are DTSwiss R24 with Clement MSO that I was able to install tubeless. I have Easton EC90XC with 28mm right now and will have my CX tires on it during the season.

rogan

by rogan

My CAAD12 is done. Needs lighter wheels one day..

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That looks great. What size is it? Do you have a complete build weight?

rogan

by rogan

burglarboycie wrote:That looks great. What size is it? Do you have a complete build weight?

Its a 52cm

I dont have an accurate weight, will do the old stand on scales test later. I'm guessing its ~7.5kg. I was 8kg before I changed anything. Sram red/force bits, chainset, tyres, bars, saddle, skewers all a fair bit lighter.

Currently weighing up if changing the seatpost is even worth the weight saved. Only two lighter (worthwhile) options are Enve and Thomson and I need setback, which looks awful from thomson.

Needs lighter inner tubes, new bottle cages on route. Then basically all thats left is wheels which will be a huge saving as these are 1900g almost.

micro553

by micro553

Nice caad! What saddlehight is that?

The new cranks look great! What wheels are u looking for.

rogan

by rogan

Saddle height is ~725mm

Wheels will probably be ~40mm carbon, undecided on what as I'm unsure what I want to spend

importbible

by importbible

Last pic of my bike, switching to a SuperSix this week.

sanandreas

by sanandreas

Best CAAD I ever saw.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That is perfect!!!! Make sure you show us the Supersix when you have it

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Beautiful, beautiful bike!

It might not matter to you, but it looks like your bars might be on the verge of being UCI illegal. I learned from Roger Hammond that the bar must not go below the tops of the wheels. He wasn't worried about the rule per se, since officials almost never checked. Instead he was worried about skinning his knuckles on the rear tires in the peloton around him!

Here's the relevant article:
ARTICLE 1.3.022
“...The handlebars must be positioned in an area defined as follows: above, by the horizontal plane of the point
of support of the saddle (B); below, by the horizontal line passing through the highest point of the two wheels ...”

Source: Page 28 in the UCI's PDF http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

2lo8

by 2lo8

I'm pretty sure it's UCI illegal for a road bike. I usually set up my bars to skirt that limit, and that usually means ~100mm head tube with -7 stem or ~120mm head tube with -17 stem with a 10mm headset spacer and compact bars. It's a pretty arbitrary rule though (like many things UCI), given that if you ran 650c rims, you could get lower bars, except then you have to be limited to 650c parts. The way the rule is phrased, you have to add a 5mm spacer moving from 23mm to 28mm tires.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

dton13

by dton13

Also, neither the CAAD10 or CAAD12 are UCI-legal afaik! Mine are just at the tires too. 50cm CAAD12 slammed with a 130mm 17d stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com