HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 am 

Very nice. It's a little different to most light bikes, and quite cutting edge. I think we'll see more innovation on road bike brakes soon. Regarding the weight, I'm surprised it's not less than 5kg. Obviously there are cheaper ways to get there if weight is the only goal.

- Do the brakes actually work?
- How easy are they to maintain (centre, open to change wheels, change pads, re-cable etc.). I could imagine a stuck pad might be a royal PITA.
- What is the advantage of such brakes? I thought it was more for aero, but then the tubes of the frame are quite round so it looks a bit of a strange compromise.
- Is the ride better or worse than a similar frame without the internal brakes?

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 am 

kgt wrote:
konky wrote:
I will reply to other questions and post a pic of the rear brake cabling later but in answer to the frame weight no 830g is bare weight and does not include the brakes or BB shell and attached bearings. The frame is light, especially for such a solid build, but not uber light.

I was expecting it to be much lighter by today's standards to be honest. Look at frames like supersix evo, bh ultralight etc etc. At your size those would weight much less than 700gr. That explains the total weight of 5kg which is not that impressive.

Haha tough crowed.. Thing is it's not a cannondale or a bh and that is in my mind a great thing..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 am 

Of course. What please you most is usually the best choise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 am 

Some one asked why I brought a z5 instead of a evo 6 my response was I have no interest in riding a cannondale...

I think this stork is a fabulous build. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 am 

I think sub 5kg is pretty impressive considering he's using proper tyres and di2. with tuned red and crappy tufos he'd surely lose a lot of weight right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:07 pm 

Componant weights

AX1000 saddle 59g
AX stem (UD to match UD frame) 69g
Schmolke post 79g
Schmolke compact bars 162g
Speedplay X1 pedals with alu butterflies 131g
Fibrelyte rings both 76g
KMC chain 241g
Storck bar tap + carbon bar ends (cut) 42g
Di2 FD 122g
Di2 RD 222
Di2 levers 260g
Nokon cable 75g
Di2 bar wiring 24g
Battery 71
Di2 electric wiring including mount 137g
Tune bottle cage (1) 18g
Cassette Kcnc Ti including lockring 113g
Skewers Tune U20 21g
Veloflex Extreme tires (combined) 470g
mrfish The brakes work well. Cabling apparently a nightmare. Can open brakes quite easily but don't need to with Extremes. The centreing is good. They are V brakes. Haven't changed pads so don't know if difficult. Carbon brakes weigh 82g so a bit lighter but negated by fork weight of 340g. Brakes doesn't effect ride. More on ride but it's sublime.

kgt Evos with paint etc are really 750g. Even if the frame was 80g lighter so 750g this Di2 build with Veloflex tires and in no way tuned parts would not be light enough for you.

More answers to questions to follow but got to run now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 pm 

Awesome looking bike. congrat's. I can't undestand the negative comment's coming from a few jealous idiots. Fu%k the evos, cervelos, you have a mutha of a bike, it's awesome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 pm 

konky wrote:
kgt Evos with paint etc are really 750g. Even if the frame was 80g lighter so 750g this Di2 build with Veloflex tires and in no way tuned parts would not be light enough for you.

750gr at this size? Don't think so. Anyway I like your bike and I am glad you love it. I was just expecting it to be much lighter. It was advertised as something uberlight and it isn't. That's all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm 

Ok what's the ride like and how does it compare to other bikes. I have ridden quite a few high end bikes over the years. Untill now I would say that the Cervelo R5 was probably the best bike I have ridden. It's definately up there. As a result I bought one. It's not by miles the best but it's combination of stiffness, handling and comfort gave it the edge.

The 0.6 is in a different class altogether. It is much, much, better. Ten times better. It makes my R5 seem like a child's toy bike. Whereas I would describe the R5 as feeling stiff up front and around the BB the 0.6 has a different feel I would more describe as 'overall rigidity'. It's an incredible feeling of togetherness as if the frame, fork, bars and crank are made of one single piece of ultra stiff material. Although it feels such a solid frame it is also unbelievably nimble, almost airy. As far as comfort goes I don't think (for me anyway) it comes into it. I guess the comfort feel is more like that of a Farrari than a Bently. It sort of feels plush but in a very sporty way. I haven't done any major descents on it yet but I have heard from someone who has that it's incomparably good.

Compared to my R5 I feel like I'm on a magic carpet. Like I've got a weightless motor strapped to the rear wheel. It zipps up hills so much more easily, smoothly and powerfully. I know I sound euphoric in my enthusiasm but I am so pleased with this bike it's unreal.

I think it's important to comment on the brakes as on the 0.6 they are so different from any other non TT road bike. They work and work quite well. I do prefer the Super Record brakes on my R5. By quite a bit. I genuinely do think the 0.6 is the best bike in the world.

It is so, so much better than the R5, which is at least one of the best bikes available. But the brakes are only high end OK.

This review is my opinion, which I'm entitled to. Someone else may ride this bike and have a different view. Which they would be equally entitled to.

I don't think they would though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm 

Very beuty black carbon bike!

Congratulation!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 pm 

Please make a better sideshot. :wink: . The bike looks too good for those pics you have posted. Take the "sideshot" in front of a simple background. The background you´ve used is way to "complicated". And take the picture from a higher position than the bike, instead of a lower position gives it a more racier look. And put the chain on the big ring in front.
But no matter what you do, you got a pretty awesome ride :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:30 pm 

Nice job Konky. Better pics would be appreciated. Did it kill you to put the heavy Di2 on this lightweight frame? I know I couldn't do it :wink:

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 am 

Beautiful! :beerchug:

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 am 

gumgardner wrote:
Nice job Konky. Better pics would be appreciated. Did it kill you to put the heavy Di2 on this lightweight frame? I know I couldn't do it :wink:

Gum

We are of course coming from different places in our two WW builds. Even if my frame was 150g lighter I would not go down to the sort of weight that your Crumpton will be. Weight is important to me, I want a light bike, but it's not paramount. You are building a useable bike but it seems low weight is the significant overiding focus.

Part of the attraction of the 0.6 for me was trying Di2. And actually I love it and would not swap it to lose the 150-200g it adds to my build over a super lightweight machanical build. I could lose 50g or more if I tuned my Di2 but I don't want to. Not at this stage anyway.

Last edited by konky on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 am 

sand it off to loose some weight :mrgreen:

Passoni Xxti

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next