Synapse Hi Mod….UCI illegal with fenders/mudguards [emoji6]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Having bought myself a Synapse for my winter / commuter and then an Aethos for my summer bike …. I have decided to let the Aethos go and get a Hi Mod Synapse and build it nice and light for summer.

It’s worth saying up front the Aethos is probably the nicest bike I have ridden (and I’ve had a few!) but I have a nagging disc prolapse and (post bike fit , pre final cut of the fork steerer) has ended up with too many spacers for me to love it enough to keep it.

At the end of the day the look of a bike is part of the joy and Whilst the Aethos looks great slammed, for me personally, it doesn’t work with 30mm+ bearing cover under the stem.

I spent a load of time trying to find a frame that wasn’t a Synapse with decent stack but not massive reach that would give me my perfect bike.. I tried really hard but just came back to the synapse working for me - I love how it rides, I can run 32mm, it is stiff in the BB and pretty quick on the steering.

So I decided to buy a Hi Mod (56cm) - it is now being stripped by Ooey Custom to raw carbon, ready for a WW build - targeting 6.2kg without too many exotic parts (Groupo is R8170).

I know it’s not a popular bike on here , but has been a lesson for me in really understand everything I love about a bike, what works for me and sticking with it - ie. not assuming something else is going to do a better job.

Pics to follow but started life as this…Image

Frame - 910g (no hardware)
Fork - 367g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Gonna get my popcorn ready. Im looking forward to more.
Good on ya for going with a frame that fits and making it your own.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I'll watch this with interest. I am a big fan of this bike. I too have one for winter duties, but I have also pushed it in a variety of situations and I can't fault it. Excellent handling, does everything well. An endurance bike without silly "enhancements".
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TLN

by TLN

I got similar Synapse (link below) in same size, but I'm not running any ww parts. Will follow that topic, I'm really curious how far you can push it.
Also, what is your height?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I’m 183cm, but with longer legs - so I need a 56cm for the right reach, but gives me quite a lot of drop on the bars (unless I have a lot of spacers).

I’m reasonably confident on 6.2kg (with pedals and mount) but not sure if it will round up or down to that. Chances of getting it less than 6.1kg are slim without compromising on tyre size / durability and going full dura ace….

I now have most parts ready to go once I get the frame back, other than the seatpost (hylix coming from Taiwan) and bars (EXS r150 from China)…..

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Ah cool man let me know how you find those bars

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Beancouter

by Beancouter

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Ah cool man let me know how you find those bars Image

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2
When do you expect yours to arrive?

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Fit comes first and if you reach your 6.2kg target, then you won't be losing much from the Aethos.

Did you order your bars from cycling100? I ordered my first set of EXS bars directly from the EXSCycling website last year and it took them a week before it was shipped out; I received it a couple days later. I ordered a second set from cycling100, but I haven't received any news from them.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I ordered the bars from AliE. When buying from the UK you now have to use Cycling100 and they haven’t got the r150 listed.

I did email Kirito from EXS to confirm it was a genuine seller but he didn’t reply. Fingers crossed (I did get a shipping notice today…).

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Handlebars arrived and, holy moly, there are light for a 42cm at 145g.

It is making me concerned my scales are wrong!!

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I just got my bars today too. 167g for the 38cm bar which is the same as my first set. But I got the 180 and not 150 versions like yours.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Frame back from Ooey Custom - really pleased. Saved about 70g, so 847g for the frame and 352 for the fork. Decals are Porsche Aventurine Green Image

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Build list - expect it will end up nearer to 6100g

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

Beancouter wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:34 pm
Frame back from Ooey Custom - really pleased. Saved about 70g, so 847g for the frame and 352 for the fork. Decals are Porsche Aventurine Green Image

Awesome!
I had exactly the same idear.
In the end I sold my Synapse HiMod in colour VLT and got a Aethos Sworks Frameset.
As you write, the Aethos is really the best bike I have ridden so far also I like it more then my V3Rs and this is really also really comfortable for a race bike.
In May I build up a Canyon Endurace CF SL as my bad weather autumn winter and bike packing bike but now when I see your project I want to buy a Synapse Hi-Mod frame again and strip it also down.
I loved to ride the Synapse very well. Hopefully I will find a Frameset again and then I will build it up with the Canyon Endurace parts.
I rode the Synapse last year for the Rapha 500 already with 35mm Panaracer Gravel King Slick tires. Feels awesome and very comfortable!
I am very excited for your final build!
Awesome project.
The 2018er Synapse is really underrated! Really great bike!
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

@beancouter any updates?
Allround: