Fuchs Stevens - getting around 3,6kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I agree with the empty cage comment. I ride where I know I'll be able to find water and an apple :wink: so unless if its 100 degrees, I don't need more than one bottle.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

an old thread without many postings and in the last time there where not much updates on the bike.
but it is still running nicely :beerchug:

i hope to get more time and energy for this bike soon again as there is still the sub4 goal.
Attachments
PK__3228.JPG
Last edited by Fuchspk on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

Fine bike. Nice shot.
Looks like "Black Label on the rocks" :beerchug:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

yeah it was a nice evening and great feeling on the ice at the sunset.

here are some more pictures from yesterday

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

welkman

by welkman

wow, great bike, great pics. What kind of distance do you ride?

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I continued on my derailleur.
Now i got together every part which sits on the cage.

The weight for the cageplates + pulleys + spacers + springholder + bolt for one Pulley is 8,8g together.
The upperbolt (the big one high up in the picture) has to get some more work on it so i don´t have the finally weight for this bolt yet.

I don´t care for the looks of the parts, everything just has to do its work and be lightweight...it will not be the prettiest derailleur i guess :unbelievable:
If everything works like i want it than the complete derailleur will get around 30g....

PK__3461.JPG

PK__3466.JPG

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I had some more Time in the Workshop today.
Made the new Chainguard ready. The Goal was to get the new one lighter, better looking and the fitment a bit better.
The new one weighs 3,4g and saves 7,4g to the old one :)

still in the progress..
0.JPG

3,4g on a more precise Scale...
1.JPG

the finished Guard....
2.JPG

TimmS

by TimmS

My favourite bike/project :D

Can you give us some more details on the derailleur?

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

welkman wrote:wow, great bike, great pics. What kind of distance do you ride?

kinda missed to answer you.
Right now i´m not doing so much cykling but normally distances about 300-600km for daytripps/races and 24h races are most interesting.
I´ve done a lot of Trips through Europe in that way - just have a small Backpack with Ultralite pack (tothbrush and visa) and do a lot of miles in a few days. With normal training and so it was around 30000km on the Bike each year.
This your i´m thinking of to start in an 560km race in Sweden. But otherwise there will not be much more as i do the Distance-Race with the Kayak now and will have a lot of Races with that this Year.
So there will be mostly daytrips between 60-200km this Year.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

TimmS wrote:My favourite bike/project :D

Can you give us some more details on the derailleur?

I´ve got no more Pictures to show from the derailleur. It will be a mix of Huret+Tiso+own stuff in the design. I do not have any paintings as well, just build it out of my head.

TimmS

by TimmS

Fuchspk wrote: just build it out of my head.

Thatś what i like about it!

A carbon Huret Jubilee? Looking forward to it....

bura

by bura

just build it out of my head.[/quote]

Here is something out of my head for your rear derailleur .
You do not need these slopes in the cage outside of the pulleys within a super light project like yours.
You just need the securing point (bolt)of the "cage" part on the back of the paralelogram part.
And the connection "stripes" left and right in the center between upper and lower pulley.
The "cage carbon stripe" should end just below the center bolt of the bottom pulley.Will it flex? Sure.
But try it and you will have a lighter cage.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I do not think so.
Both cage sides together have 3,95g like this.
A two side cage is much stronger/stiffer than a one side cage using the same amount of rovings. if you make it too soft and it will not shift properly and will break very fast. I made some samples for cages the last years (for different derailleurs) and i do not think that you could build a oneside cage lighter than 3,95g which would hold for more then a few times shifting on a real smoth road!
The slopes are needed, otherwise the chain will jump of of the derailleur - not all roads are super smoth.
And the Roving on the sides are needed to work against torsion as the chain is not coming always straight in to the derailleur and torsion would mean bad shifting and that the cage would brake quite easy.

Like i said i already tested a few ideas and my opinion is that this cage is working for "all day" rides - i do not want to build a "show" bike.

bura

by bura

Misunderstood.
I meant a two sided " stripe cage".
On the other side if you are ok with reached weight ,it's definitely a superb effort.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

oh sorry, i missunderstod you.
It feels better to know that i have the chain in the right place even on bad roads. it kinda hurts to much too fall down on the ground :)