Gum's CRUMPTON UL 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jwb96

by jwb96

gumgardner wrote:
By gumgardner at 2012-02-15

It's beautiful when form and function come together to produce something like this. It's sexy before you even know the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Thanks for the compliment. :thumbup: I've made some changes to it and I think it looks even better now. Working on a few things and then will keep everyone updated on the progress.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Come on G, when are we going to get a weight. :D
(with pedals, and your tubies)

If you wait until it's "finally built" we will never get a weight. We all know that projuects like this are "never done",...we want them to be but they never are. (i.e. cranks change, pedals change, saddles change, something brakes)

These projest are always a work in progress. Just give us a current weight with yours stuff, as is. :D :thumbup: (you know I am just kidding, I don't want this to come across wrong :D )

Clavicula's look great BTW.
And that combo looks amazing.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now I just have to install it and then I'll get a final weight :thumbup:

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I've got some stuff that needs done Gum. I'll arrange to have it shipped to you.
Will be in the US around the end of the month to pick it up. OK?
rolobikes

leosantos

by leosantos

beautiful job in that claviculas! so much better this way and will match the frame better w 6 grams less - a no brainer..
sorry about the semantic question but "sanding" has sort of two similar meanings in portuguese (my native language) if you look it up on the dictionary.. what do you actually use for sanding a bike component/frame?

artray

by artray

Hey Mr Gum ,I noticed in the crank photo at the bottom part of the crank just before the spider, it looks like the weave in the carbon has broke, is it ok ? Hope so .

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Yah I think everything looks good. It's probably just the photo angle. There are two small voids in the carbon that was discovered once the clear coat was removed. I'm just going to put some "dental" composite in it and cure it to fill the void. I'm assuming it isn't a problem since it made it thru inspection prior to the clearcoat. I've found that a lot of these ultra light components aren't the prettiest when they are stipped bare. I guess it's the lack of the cosmetic layer (weight savings). Like I said, I'm not worried about it. On my Ruegamer, I have a void in my AX handlebars right at the clamp area that I've been using for a while. I also have a cracked seatpost at the clamp on my Berk combo that I've been using without a problem. I'm seeing how many more miles I can get out of these pieces before I replace them. I have a replacement BERK on the way :wink:

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

THM uses RIM (resin injection molding) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_molding
and with that you have very limited ways of controlling how the weave twists and turns, hence the look.
rolobikes

woz9683

by woz9683

How does that work with the carbon fiber? Lay the fiber, close the mold, inject the resin? The crankarms are hollow, right? So, nitrogen-assisted process?

KB

by KB

Great looking bike. Ninja black in all its glory. Would go the extra mile and have a black rear and front mech.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

KB wrote:Great looking bike. Ninja black in all its glory. Would go the extra mile and have a black rear and front mech.

Black chain as well......

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Yes...the next chain will be black.

As for the deraileurs...they were the black edition. I dremeled them, which removed the black coating. I could spray them black but I like the raw look.

djm

by djm

Keeps getting more awesome! Wow.

artray

by artray

gumgardner wrote:Yah I think everything looks good. It's probably just the photo angle. There are two small voids in the carbon that was discovered once the clear coat was removed. I'm just going to put some "dental" composite in it and cure it to fill the void. I'm assuming it isn't a problem since it made it thru inspection prior to the clearcoat. I've found that a lot of these ultra light components aren't the prettiest when they are stipped bare. I guess it's the lack of the cosmetic layer (weight savings). Like I said, I'm not worried about it. On my Ruegamer, I have a void in my AX handlebars right at the clamp area that I've been using for a while. I also have a cracked seatpost at the clamp on my Berk combo that I've been using without a problem. I'm seeing how many more miles I can get out of these pieces before I replace them. I have a replacement BERK on the way :wink:

Beware of the handlebars, I had a void in my zipp bars and they snapped on me when riding.
Cranks look awesome .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com