Gum's CRUMPTON UL 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Fuchspk wrote:but they break from time to time. :(

why not getting an crumpton stem which nic put together with the bar?

I never asked him for one and he never suggested. I was just happy he agreed to build me the UL with the special tubing. I know he doesn't want too many of them out there.

I remember asking Ruegamer about bonding my bar and stem, but it didnt end up saving much and at that point I didn't have my position dialed in as well as I do now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

gumgardner wrote:
voodoojar wrote:Do you have a detailed parts list yet?

Here's the List that I have planned so far, but things can change and I may tune a few more things

Crumpton UL 648g - (weight before the final clearcoat)
THM Scapula SP fork 279g (uncut, unfinished weight)
AX lightness Orion brakes (123g) w/ carbon spring 118g  
Enve brake pads 18g
AX lightness AX4000 42cm Handlebars 144g
AX lightness Zeus Stem 110mm 65.5g
KCNC Morion M1 33g
Tune Top cap 5g
AX Lightness Morpheus Crank 340g
BB Ceramic Bearings and adapter 70g
FIbrelyte 50t = 53g
FIbrelyte 36t = 25g
Far and Near chainring bolts 8g
Berk saddle combo - should be about 130g
Red RDer = (145g) Tuned to 108g
Red FDer = (69g) Tuned to 63g
Red shifters = (323g) Tuned to 254g
BTP cage = 13g
Aerolit pedals 67g
Mcfk seat collar 8g
Mcfk derailleur clamp 7g
Lizard Skin 1.8 Bar tape 50g
Schmolke Bar Ends 3g

•ENVE 1.25 931g + Recon (11-23) 88g + Veloflex Extremes 250g
•ENVE 1.45 1023g + Kcnc cassette (11-23) 117g + Veloflex 275g
  (11g of stickers removed)

I'd love a lighter set of wheels. I was disappointed with the weight of the Enve 25's, but they ride so nice. They are noticeably stiffer up front than my 45's.

How about a set of custom built evne's??
I got set of 45s laced to extralite hubs, 1030g, stiff and fast as all hell!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Sorry for the confusion...my Enve's are custom built. The 25's are laced to Extralite SX hubs with Sapim spokes were built by cyclingtechnology. The 45's are laced to Tune Mig70 and Mag170 and were built by Troy at Fairwheelbikes. Enve just doesn't make a super light rim anymore. They are solid though.

konky

by konky

Gum

You know because you had a pair of AX 42 rims, they are in a different class when it comes aesthetics and finish to Enve rims. I've got both (AX 24 and Enve 1.45) and the Ax 24 rims are stunning, the Enves are just nice.

By the way, you may know this but in case you don't, if you fit your AX Zeus stem make sure you don't use Ax carbon assembly compound use the Schmolke stuff. The Zeus may not stay firm with Ax compound, it will with the Schmolke stuff.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

All this money on your build and you cannot include a pair of Lightweights... really?
Have you ridden Obermayers or LW Stds?
There is no comparison regarding stiffness to the edge wheels with traditional hubs.
Ax rims are very pretty but Ax-Tune wheels would be floppy compared to LWs.

konky

by konky

reggiebaseball wrote:All this money on your build and you cannot include a pair of Lightweights... really?
There is no comparison regarding stiffness to the edge wheels with traditional hubs.

This is a uber ww build. Lightweights are arguably the best wheels out there but even the Ventoux's will probably not be light enough.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

konky wrote:
reggiebaseball wrote:All this money on your build and you cannot include a pair of Lightweights... really?

This is a uber ww build. Lightweights are arguably the best wheels out there but even the Ventoux's will probably not be light enough.

That's the main reason they were off my radar.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

You could always tune the lightweights ;)

Obermayer with carbon axels,ceramic bearings and a little job on the body will take them down a lot and they are still stiffer than the enve.

About the über ww build. It is not an über. It is just an expensive regular ww bike. A nice one for sure but there is almost no part which is really tuned to the max.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

what utter nonsense. This will be a fully rideable 8 lb bike using a full custom and obviously rare frame. I don't know what else you expect. Drillium?

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

Something which is "über" is something were you go to the max on every part.

Like I said, this is absolut an ww bike and it will be light and you can not find a bike in an normal shop. But it is just "über" in its price

mises

by mises

Last time I asked Nick about doing another integrated barstem he said he was out of the barstem business, so you're probably out of luck there. :(

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Fuchspk wrote:You could always tune the lightweights ;)

Obermayer with carbon axels,ceramic bearings and a little job on the body will take them down a lot and they are still stiffer than the enve.

About the über ww build. It is not an über. It is just an expensive regular ww bike. A nice one for sure but there is almost no part which is really tuned to the max.

Which makes it all the more impressive, given its weight :wink:

Find me a uber light bike that doesn't have Schmolke parts, THM, AX-Lightness, Tune or Lightweights (although not all that Lightweight). I could tune the sh*t out of every component and drop a few grams or I could keep it as is and have an "everyday" 8lb bike. No disrespect to those other builds, but I won't be using downtube shifters, single speed cassettes, a handlebar that is cut to eliminate the drops without bar tape or *gasp* Tufos (light but crap so I won't do it). The wheels are rather heavy for a bike like this...I could easily go lower. Everything on this build will be standard stuff. I also will be using a frame that is designed for me and not strictly designed to cut weight. I could have gone with a very short head tube or smaller frame and saved ALOT of weight. A funky angled stem to compensate is much lighter than additional frame dimensions. My seatpost is straight with no setback. I could have used a shorter toptube with a setback as well. So if you stop for a minute, relax and look at the big picture you'll accept that this is an uber-weenie build, but if you don't...what do I care :mrgreen:

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

like i said it is an absolutly light bike and i never said something against this but to call it an über, you would not take 30g paint on the frame, a heavy fork and so on.

i do not mean to build a stupid bike which does not fit because of an "too short " frame or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Lmao, this will be the lightest thing to roll through here in a couple of years and unlike a few other "perfectly rideable" bikes, this one will actually be perfectly rideable.

But we can't call it über unless gum does something stupid like not getting a uv coat on the bike...

I love the Internet.