NEW PROJECT - 2012 CANNONDALE supersix project - help please

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stuartrav

by stuartrav

Yes it is very odd that your standard Cannondale bottle cage bolts are so much heavier than mine.
I am sure that my scales are accurate as I have weighed a couple of items on my friends scales and some scales at work and the figures have all been identical, but even if it was an issue with the scales that would't account for such a big difference.

Re seat post when I last took mine out I looked inside it and could only see Carbonfibre so I am guessing you are correct for 2012 Cannondale downgraded the seatpost, (this seems like the only logical explination).

Re Token seat post clamp: I would be amazed if a company like Wiggle (where I bought it from) didn't have testing or assurances in places from their suppliers so that they don't sell products that could actually damage bike frames / not be safe to use. It is interesting that your kcnc seat post clamp is machined inside though, you would have thought it would be more logical to have removed the metal from the outside rather than the inside. When I fitted mine I used a torque wrench and tightened to a reasonable amount below the maximum level because it seemed more than tight enough and also this is what I used to do with the stock Cannondale seat post clamp.

Looking forward to reports on the brakes when you get to ride the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

I didnt weigh the standard bike but two magazines weighed it at 7.9kg

plus the Keo Classics I had (280g) = 8.18g

Minus -1.585kg (i needed to also add one extra inner tube loss -30g and GP4000s loss -43g)

So minus -1.658kg

So with these changes my estimated total weight is:

6.52kg ( could weigh it but im getting the impression the £3 fishing scales are not that accurate!!)

stuartrav

by stuartrav

Wow that is a brilliant weight saving! Please post some comments on what it is like to ride.

On a related subject I know have the Keo Carbon blades (cromo version) I have weighed them and they are both 114g, result! Now I just need to buy a suitable torque wrench and 8mm hex socket to fit them, (current torque wrench tops out at under 30nm), and then I simply need my cross country running season to end and for there to be some decent weather so I can start riding it.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

i think pedals are one thing you are safe fitting without a torque wrench. I use a good blob of copper slip and tighten it using all my upper body strength.

Youve achieved an excellent weight loss there. well done.

any more plans?

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

im keen for more suggestions on weight loss please (bike not me!)

Im thinking about:

Ti axels for my Look Keo Carbons (although i understand taking this on yourself can end badly!)
Choose a bar tape that is both light but also soft on my wrists

stuartrav

by stuartrav

You could save quite a bit by moving from the Ultegra rear cassette. Dura Ace will give a reasonable saving although it looks like there are much lighter options such as KCNC.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Just changed the DA 7800 front mech

102g

For a DA 7900

78g

Amazing weight for a 34.9 band on one!

-24g for very little money

Also have just received a fizik aliante kium but it weighs 256g so that won't be going on!

andyrr

by andyrr

Saddle - if you get on with Sella Italias then a Flite will drop a few grams : they can be picked up s/h pretty cheap, I've bought a couple of the 135gm and also a 165gm one. 145 may be a little optimistic in reality but around 150 which is not bad for around £30 s/h

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Hi andyrr

It's unfortunately not that simple for me. I often ride for many hours and saddles are a sore point (sorry) for me. Aliante is as good as I've found so far. I'd love to be happier and be on super light saddles. But alas it's a no....

Still need to get the cassette (red) and chain (kmc) before I venture out...

Dammit

by Dammit

Looking good.

I just changed from Force to Di2 and made my bike heavier by ~100g, so 6.76kg now.

I shall see if it was worth it when it stops raining.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

runningrunningjump wrote:Hi andyrr

It's unfortunately not that simple for me. I often ride for many hours and saddles are a sore point (sorry) for me. Aliante is as good as I've found so far. I'd love to be happier and be on super light saddles. But alas it's a no....

Still need to get the cassette (red) and chain (kmc) before I venture out...

Good for you! The saddle is the absolute LAST place I want to try and save weight, unless my a** agrees with it! Looking good thus far! :beerchug: