Boardman AiR 9.8

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Roasty

by Roasty

i've been riding fixed gear for a while, and decided recently to try a road bike. this is my very first road bike and am very excited about it! was about to get a cervelo S2, but met a friend who got me a good deal on this frame and it was too good a deal to pass up.

Boardman AiR 9.8
SRAM Rival groupset (RED crankset coming in the mail)
Prologo Zero Pas nack saddle
3T ergonova + ARX stem
Look Keo 2 Max (blades on the way, then porting the keo 2 max back to the fixed gear)
OEM 50mm clinchers (temporary wheelset.. the printed decals look really jarring.. i know. plus the spoke pattern is completely off for bora ultra twos.. anyways, have some vinyl blank decals coming in the mail to cover them up, and i've ordered a set of November 58mm clinchers which are scheduled to reach me in June)

will take some better pictures once i've gotten the wheels sorted out....

trustbran

by trustbran

Looks good! Hope you enjoy the gears :thumbup:

Mahalo,
Brandon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Road bikes are so much fun, and you have a great one here! Enjoy

Greenduck

by Greenduck

I like the CBoardman frames much better than the Cervelo S2. Great looking bike.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

Roasty

by Roasty

thanks guys!

Greenduck - yep! no regrets getting the boardman. it's slightly lighter than the S2 (and i also paid less for this frame as well).

being on a road bike certainly is a nice change from the fixed gear. seems effortless to speed up. the carbon frame is a lot more comfortable too. looking forward to clocking some miles on this bike.

took it on a virgin ride around the coast today.. unfortunately, the rear tire punctured towards the end of the ride sigh..

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So those aren't Boras? Then why don't you just take off the decals instead of getting cover ups or even new decals? Just leave them blank with no decals - way better!

Roasty

by Roasty

dereksmalls wrote:So those aren't Boras? Then why don't you just take off the decals instead of getting cover ups or even new decals? Just leave them blank with no decals - way better!

yup.. they're not real Boras. wrong spoke pattern in the rear, plus these are clinchers. cant remove the decals cos they're printed onto the rim.. oh well. the vinyl blanks are a cheap solution till my November wheelset arrives.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Where/who did the print job on the wheels? It appears to be quite well done.

And is there much testing for the Boardman frame aero wise, as it at least looks fast! Very nice :beerchug:

Roasty

by Roasty

Tinea Pedis wrote:Where/who did the print job on the wheels? It appears to be quite well done.
And is there much testing for the Boardman frame aero wise, as it at least looks fast! Very nice :beerchug:

i believe they were printed on at the factory. googled, and found similar looking wheels on alibaba. got these wheels off a friend as a temporary solution. details are crisp, but i think the overall look makes my bike look really busy..

not sure about the aero testing of the frame. and i didnt have much luck on end user reviews either. seems not that popular a brand in the states?

btw your forum nick is funny! lol athlete's foot..

giant man

by giant man

looks quite small, what size is this one? cheers

Geoff

by Geoff

That is quite an interesting frameset. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. Stiff?

Roasty

by Roasty

this is a Small size.

the frame feels pretty stiff to me, but then again, I don't have anything to compare to.. one thing for sure is the ride is definitely more comfy than my alu frame fixed bike.

Roasty

by Roasty

just wanna share a pic of the wheels after applying the decals.

they came with instructions on application. one was a dry application (needs precision as it'd be difficult to manipulate the decals once applied), the other was a wet application with slightly soapy water. needless to say, i went with the wet application.

fairly straightforward process.
cleaned the rims
sprayed water onto rim, peeled off the decal backing, wet the decals a bit
positioned the decals. moved them around to my liking
i used a hairdryer on low heat to help with the drying process. the dryer really helps with pressing the decals down over the curved part of the rim near the spokes (i had to apply a matte black background before the easton decals)
pressed out the bubbles and left to dry for a day

think it turned out pretty well. ordered another set of these decals in yellow just for kicks.

jdp211

by jdp211

Why brand your generic type wheels at all?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roasty

by Roasty

cos i want to.. :roll: