Advise on new Tarmac Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

veloaz

by veloaz

Hi,

I recently bought a new S-Works Tarmac Sl4 frame and could use some advice on the build-up.

I will be using wheels (Mavic Ksyrium SL), DA cassette, 11-28t, chain, brakes and shifters from my
2009 S-Works Roubaix.

I will be adding a new Specialized/Quarq power meter/spider and so will need to replace the DA cranks and rings (which I hate to do).

So my questions:

1. I will add new SW cranks. Any reason not to go with the SW rings? Any suggestions on an alternative? (Quarq does not support the Praxis Works compact - only the standard and sub-compact)

2. Handlebars: I am considering replacing the S-Works SL, FACT short-reach drop handlebar on the Roubaix with either Easton EC90 SLX3 or Richey WCS Carbon Evocurve or Super logic Evocurve. The change was recommended on a recent bike fit because of restricted hand position options on the SW. Any experience with these options? Others to consider?

3. Any other thoughts, suggestions, warning of pitfalls to avoid would be appreciated. I am learning and this is my first build project.

Thanks

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I used the s-works crank with the rotor Q rings and DA 7900 and it works great!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I ran DA7900 on my tarmac with 2011 s-works chain-rings without issue (2009 model s-work rings sucked!!) the shifting pins/ramps are good.

You might also consider using the DA7900 rings if they fit.

veloaz

by veloaz

Thanks for the help!

It's maddening! I am ready to pull the trigger on the SW crank and rings and they are out of stock until January. This seems to be a recurring problem with Specialized. I may need to look at other options although since I already have the Specialized/Quarq spider, I'm committed to go with Specialized cranks at least. Anyone with an S-Works 170 crankset with 50/34 rings lying around they would like to sell?