Trek 5200 refinish.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

dcj9 wrote:actually prof, i cheated by sending the fully-stripped & prepped frame away for the lacquer to Argos.
it was the middle of winter in UK and i did not have a suitable 'above 20 degree C' dust-free place to do my own lacquer.

Please do keep posting developments :thumbup:

Yeah, I can spray it at my shop I work at. The 2K clear is a two part epoxy spray can. It must be some harsh stuff. It says to use a mask when applying it. I might farm the job out to one of my friends. I am a bit paranoid about putting a run in it. I just completed my rear derailleur project for my other bike, well almost, I am waiting on jockey wheels arrive then it is done. So now I can get back to the crit bike project. I might scrape on it for a little bit after today's workout on the trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

:thumbup: looks great

davej35

by davej35

Looks quite attractive :wink:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Just to be clear the finished raw bike was not mine. It is what inspired this project however. I hope mine turns out as good.

Today I received another piece for this project. Looks like it will save me about 20g. I purchased it for the color, and the shorter stack height, but dropping 20g from a headset change works for me.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

This Trek project has proved to be a royal pain in my ass. So much time invested in it. It's ridiculous. However, I got all the paint off finally. I still need to sand on it some more, and there is still a little bit on the cable stops I have to remove. I am just glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel. As you can see in this pic, you can see the texture of the mold used to make the lugs. This will have to be sanded down smooth before clear is applied.

Here is the whole frame. It is getting close, but still a lot of work to be done. It is nice to get an idea of what it will look like once it is finished. 1126g as pictured.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Looking good. Going with a matte or glossy clear?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Ramjm_2000 wrote:Looking good. Going with a matte or glossy clear?

Glossy Spray MAX 2K clear. Hopefully I'll get it done this week. I want to start riding it again. My tired old heavy steel frame I've been riding. Well, it makes me tired way too soon.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Here is a teaser. The paint on the little aluminum bits, the cable stops, dropouts, bb shell, and there was even an aluminum insert in the headtube of the 5200. All of it turned out great. There are some imperfections, but they will all wet sand out, and the clear will make it all look great. I am very happy with match of the "graphite dust grey" paint. Hoping to spray the 2K clear on Sunday. I am getting pretty excited now. Also notice the little carbon derailleur adjuster. I drilled out the old original adjuster, and I am going to glue with epoxy in these units from Jagwire. They are light and will blend with the new look better.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Just sprayed the second coat of clear. I am going to call it done. I'll take some pics here in a bit after it drys.

munk93

by munk93

Nice job! The beauty that is hidden on these Trek frames are amazing. Although I´m thinking about painting mine this year.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88933&hilit=trek+madone+clearcoat

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

munk93 wrote:Nice job! The beauty that is hidden on these Trek frames are amazing. Although I´m thinking about painting mine this year.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88933&hilit=trek+madone+clearcoat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice Madone. I just wet sanded with 800grit lightly, and buffed with rubbing compound. This thing looks amazing. I totally outdid my expectations. I'll be assembling the bike on Thursday. I'll be posting real pics then. Total frame weight stripped with no braze on, or cable guides 1118g, down from 1258g. Not bad I'd say, plus it looks amazing. I love the dark look of a raw carbon bike.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Okay, so I've got the fork on, and mounted my Spinergys, and tossed some parts on. The finished product will most likely have different parts, but this is just a mockup to get an idea, of the finished product. I am currently deciding between my Syntace bars, and stem, and this FSA/3T combo seen here. If I go the FSA route, the paint must be stripped, and then new clear applied.

hetchins68

by hetchins68

My hats off to u!!!.... :beerchug: :thumbup:

I wish my bike has that kinda carbon finish!... Great job!

BmanX

by BmanX

You have to strip the bars if you keep them, the forks for sure and the bike looks damn hot. Well done.

This bike screams at least one down tube shifter.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com