Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

New pic. Sold the Eastons. Here it is with my Spinergy FCC's, and I put a new -17 120mm Zipp SCSL stem.

Before:
After:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Another update. Changed a few things out.

SpinMill

by SpinMill

Really impressed, that frame looks sick!

Any more description on process for those that want to duplicate efforts? Razor blade + wetsanding? Where did you read about using razor blade or description of method?
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL
2012 Cannondale SL3
Peugeot Pipeline Plus

kfreytag

by kfreytag

That's gorgeous. Fantastic job. It's amazing to see how well-put-together those older Treks are and how well the shape has withstood the test of time in a somewhat fad-driven industry.

Chapeau.
Last edited by kfreytag on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The bike looks stunning. I love the finish.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks guys.

The question about the process of paint removal. It is really quite simple. First strip it down to the bare frame. Then use a heat gun, and remove all the decals. Next use acetone to remove decal residue. Then start scraping. Lots of time will be used on this step. Drag the razor along the tubes, and the paint will start to just peel off. Once you get all the tubes done, then focus on the lugs. Once almost all the paint is gone, sand it with a wet scotch brite pad until all the paint is gone. Then I painted the metal bits with a metallic gray paint to blend with the carbon. After that, I sprayed the clear. Allow to dry, and then reassemble.

SpinMill

by SpinMill

ProfessorChaos wrote:Thanks guys.

The question about the process of paint removal. It is really quite simple. First strip it down to the bare frame. Then use a heat gun, and remove all the decals. Next use acetone to remove decal residue. Then start scraping. Lots of time will be used on this step. Drag the razor along the tubes, and the paint will start to just peel off. Once you get all the tubes done, then focus on the lugs. Once almost all the paint is gone, sand it with a wet scotch brite pad until all the paint is gone. Then I painted the metal bits with a metallic gray paint to blend with the carbon. After that, I sprayed the clear. Allow to dry, and then reassemble.

What would you estimate is time invested? Did you use a spray gun for the clear or rattlecan?
2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL
2012 Cannondale SL3
Peugeot Pipeline Plus

RTJohnson

by RTJohnson

It looks super fast!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

SpinMill wrote:What would you estimate is time invested? Did you use a spray gun for the clear or rattlecan?

I really could not tell you the time. It was a long process. Longer than I would have liked, but the results were definitely worth it so I am okay with it. Keeping it down to a few hours a night will definitely make it manageable. It is a quite monotonous procedure removing the paint. The clear I used was a two part clear that does come in a spray can. It's held up quite well too. Below is a link to a vendor selling the very product I used.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Looks really sharp. Level top-tube and matching stem are a winning combo.

simonw

by simonw

Sorry to dig up an old thread but how did you strip the paint with a razor? Would you recommend using a razor or wet sandpaper more? I'm picking up an old 5200 and after seeing these naked carbon 5200s I want to try my hand at this as well

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

simonw wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread but how did you strip the paint with a razor? Would you recommend using a razor or wet sandpaper more? I'm picking up an old 5200 and after seeing these naked carbon 5200s I want to try my hand at this as well

No problem Simon. You basically drag the razor over the carbon with the blade tip facing away from the direction you are scraping. It is faster,much easier and more effective than wetsanding. I only sanded a very little bit in tight areas of the frame.

simonw

by simonw

ProfessorChaos wrote:No problem Simon. You basically drag the razor over the carbon with the blade tip facing away from the direction you are scraping. It
is faster,much easier and more effective than wetsanding. I only sanded a very little bit in tight areas of the frame.

So you would scrape it with the flat side of the razor facing the direction that you are scraping? Thanks for replying!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djay001

by djay001

Razor blade
_____/__________ -----> direction of the razor blade
the tube

I have also done this to my trek