2011 Cervelo S2 aero and 13lbs(5900g) dead new pics page:20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BmanX wrote:What does the RD come in at.

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:how many grams you need mate?

I'm not sure. I need to weigh it again. I've done a lot of little changes since the last time it was hung from a scale. That FD hasn't been touched by a dremel yet either. I'll weigh it soon, and get an idea of what I need to do after I cut the steerer down. Part of the 3t insert will get cut too, so it will be a bigger drop in weight than usual. I also moved my POP top cap + bolt to my Trek, and probably going to order a Veloflyte top cap + bolt that should save me another gram, plus Fairwheel sent me the wrong color bolt, and it's been bugging me for years I wanted black.

My focus has shifted off this project. I was working on my RD for "Project Heavy Metal" last night. I can't wait to share it with you guys when it gets a little further a long. It won't be as light as the RD on this bike, but it's going to be pretty custom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I cut the steerer down, and got a smaller dustcap. A long with the Tillquist Garmin mount, and all, it's back down to 13lbs or 5900g dead!

RMcC

by RMcC

Just bought an 2013 S2 after reading this post as a race bike for next year. I've got a long way to go to get it anywhere near yours though but hopefully some day. Great inspiration!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

RMcC wrote:Just bought an 2013 S2 after reading this post as a race bike for next year. I've got a long way to go to get it anywhere near yours though but hopefully some day. Great inspiration!

Thanks! Glad my bike inspired you to make a purchase of one of these fine bikes for yourself. I truly believe the S2 is one of the best platforms out there, especially on a budget. I recently thought about selling, or parting out this bike. I got a job working for Specialized, and it seems rather counter productive to continue to ride and race this bike. However, after much consideration I can't ever part with it. Too much effort has been put forward to get it where it is today. I am going to buy a Shiv TT to replace my P3 that was destroyed in a crash though. I may have to build a Tarmac or Venge to take over the 5200's duty, and I'll keep this S2 for an ultimate weapon when I want the lightest, most aero advantage possible. I won't lie I don't like the idea of crit racing this bike. I have crashed on it before, but I want to avoid crashing it as much as possible.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Oh yeah, I forgot to say. I am replacing the rear tire, and I stripped all the glue off this time. Last time I changed the rear I wasn't so careful, and I think I added a few extra grams as a result. So when I get a new tire glued on my 404, I may get it to tick a bit lower than 13lbs on the scale, so stay tuned gentlemen.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

hey prof, what's the stem coming in at? I don't remember Zipps being the lightest....what about a cheap uno stem and doing a ti bolt upgrade or something?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:hey prof, what's the stem coming in at? I don't remember Zipps being the lightest....what about a cheap uno stem and doing a ti bolt upgrade or something?

Yes the stem wasn't that light. 120-130g range if I remember correctly. I chose it on stiffness, and to match the handlebars. I now use these stems on all my bicycles. I had a 3T ARX stem previously, and it flexed like a wet noodle in comparison. I almost bought an Extralite stem which would have dropped a substantial amount of weight, but I decided to go this route instead to retain stiffness. It already comes with Ti bolts so no need to upgrade. The handlebars clearly aren't the lightest either. These were some of the comprises I made. I wanted this bike not only light, but as aero, and stiff as possible as well.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

The only Cervelo that gives me chills! I could stare at your bike forever and a day

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

fair enough prof. it's a great result regardless. I am on an s2 now after a warrantied s1 frame. It is soooo good.

RMcC

by RMcC

Can you fit 23mm wide rims on the S2?

First time out on my S2 today and loved it, can't wait to upgrade the components though.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

RMcC wrote:Can you fit 23mm wide rims on the S2?

First time out on my S2 today and loved it, can't wait to upgrade the components though.

My 404s are 2010 tubular versions, and they are 24mm wide from what I gather. So 23mm should be no problem. Many have even used the wider firecrest versions on the S2 as well.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So BMANX should be happy to hear, I now have a TriRig front brake on this bike. I am using the integrated cable hanger for now, but I just ordered this, and hoping that it plays nice with the setup:

As of now I am still retaining the KCNC rear brake to limit weight gain.

bura

by bura

My favorite S2.
Good job & getting better.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I work at for Specialized nowadays. I kind of feel like I should be racing on their bikes. So I've decided to sell, or part this bike out. Inquire through PM, or email if interested. I would like to just sell it as a module consisting of the frame, fork, headset, seatpost/saddle combo, and crankset. This is the fastest roadbike I've ever ridden, and I love it. It is just time for a change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Also I will trade for a 54cm S-Works Venge.