Cables -- Dura Ace
Housing -- Dura Ace
Saddle -- Specialized Toupe
Bottle cages -- Tacx Tao
Tires -- Michelin Krylion Carbon
Tubes -- Vittoria
Wheelset -- Easton Circuit
Skewers -- Axlerodz Bolt-on

It is fairly heavy, but it should serve me well for its intended purpose. The frame has shaped and butted tubing, and weighed 1,375 g including the seatpost collar and the RD hanger. The seatpost, stem and handlebar are on there temporarily; I have a 3T stem/bar combo on the way to achieve a little longer reach.

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by fa63 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

holy spacers and seat post batman! :unbelievable: From the look of it you could've taken a slightly bigger frame.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

:D

There is 25 mm of spacers under the stem right now and I will probably end up going a little lower once I dial everything in. I am reach-challenged for my height so I went with a smaller frame so that I would not end up with a 80 mm stem to get the reach right.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

yeah I was looking at that stem length and assumed you just had short arms/torso, but looking at that seatpost I was like no..he can't be that tall with such short arms!

Otherwise a very clean looking build and with a ti seatpost to match the frame would be even better. Dura ace cranks always look great. I think the red bar tape might be too much red though, especially since it's so close to the main red accents on your bike.

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

fa63

by fa63

Agree with the bartape comment; I will go back to black once this one is worn out.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

If you turn the stem and get of the fork decals it sure looks a lot better , but it is a real nice Ti- bike you have. :thumbup:

fa63

by fa63

Juanmoretime wrote:Love the gray metal! :thumbup: A ride report?

Sure; I have a little over a 100 miles on the bike so far, and here are some initial ride impressions:

- The bike feels a lot stiffer than my old Felt F75 (aluminum frame w/ carbon seat stays). The BB area flexes significantly less when on my trainer (I try not to look at my BB area when I am sprinting on real roads :D), and the front end also feels a lot more solid during cornering. I suspect the Alpha Q fork with the steel steerer tube, as compared to the Deda all-carbon fork I had in the Felt frame, made the difference in the front end. I am sure the shaped tubes also contribute to the stiffness (the downtube becomes flattened at the downtube-BB junction, which theoretically provides more resistance to lateral movement).

I must also say I was pleasantly surprised to see the titanium frame to be stiffer in the bottom bracket area than the oversized aluminum frame of the Felt. I used to be able to generate chain rub during out of the saddle sprints on my old bike, but this is not a problem anymore. The Ti frame is also lighter by about 50 g.

- The Ti frame feels slightly more comfortable over rough roads compared to my old aluminum frame, and seems to transmit less road vibration. This is using the same tire/combo on both bikes with the same tire pressures. I still wouldn't call it a comfortable bike, though. In comparison, a Cervelo S2 that I had the opportunity to test-ride for two days was more comfortable than both.

- The bike is much less twitchy than my old frame, which had 73.5 degree head tube and seat tube angles. The new frame in comparison has a 73.5 degree seat tube but a more slack 72.5 degree head tube, resulting in 6 mm more trail as compared to the old frame and a little added stability.

- My rides so far ride also confirmed that I need a slightly longer stem and a handlebar with a smoother transition from the tops to the shifters. I am very comfortable in the drops with the current setup, but riding on the hoods doesn't feel good. As I mentioned, I have a 110 mm 3T stem and a 3T Ergonova bars on the way to try help resolve this issue. I will probably end up lowering the bars a little as well during this change and see how that feels.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the new bike. Granted, I have never ridden an expensive Ti frame so I do not have a basis for comparison but the bike seems to do most things well. I will give an updated report as I put more miles on the bike and make the changes to improve fit / comfort.

Thanks.

fa63

by fa63

PinaRene wrote:If you turn the stem and get of the fork decals it sure looks a lot better , but it is a real nice Ti- bike you have. :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliments.

When I pull all the parts off the bike for cleaning after a few thousand miles, I am planning on re-finishing the frame in a brushed finish and also getting rid of the decals on the fork since the bright red doesn't match the dark red of the headset. I also plan on getting a Ti seatpost in a brushed finish so it matches the frame. As far as flipping the stem goes, that is going to take a little bit of time until I regain my flexibility :D
Last edited by fa63 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holycao86

by holycao86

Just curious, are you a student or alumnus at GT? I'm currently doing last my last year of undergrad there right now.

fa63

by fa63

holycao86 wrote:Just curious, are you a student or alumnus at GT? I'm currently doing last my last year of undergrad there right now.

Alumnus; got my MSCE in Dec. '06.
Last edited by fa63 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I think the balance of colors you have going on is really good, some yin yang action with the seatpost and forks.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

by 0302

Thanks for posting this up. I was looking at Lynksey bikes and knowing that they make this one is a nice and cheaper alternative. The Cooper is only $300 more, but $300 is $300.

fa63

by fa63

0302 wrote:Thanks for posting this up. I was looking at Lynskey bikes and knowing that they make this one is a nice and cheaper alternative. The Cooper is only $300 more, but $300 is $300.

I picked up this frame for $700 during a recent sale, so it could be as much as $600 cheaper. I was actually getting ready to pull the trigger on a Lynskey as well, and had an appointment with a local dealer to see which one would suit me the best. Then I saw this frame on sale one evening; the geometry looked pretty good, and it was claimed to have been made by Lynskey so I figured I would give it a shot.

My understanding of this frame is that the tubes were sourced from overseas, then welded and finished by Lynskey here (the box in which the frame was shipped actually had Lynskey logos on it). The frame uses butted tubes, has a bi-axially ovalized downtube (like the Lynskey R230), straight seatstays and what appear to be oversized chainstays (similar to the Cooper). The geometry is also pretty similar to Lynskeys.

The Lynskey Cooper on the other hand uses straight-gage tubing, appears to be 100 g or so lighter, and it is 100% made in the USA. I am sure it is a great bike as well.

fa63

by fa63

Here are a couple pics with the new stem/handlebar combo. The stem (3T ARX Team 110mm) weighed 128g, and the handlebar (Ergonova Pro 44cm) was a portly 282g. I took it around for a short ride, and the bar felt very comfortable. I was also able to flip the stem and reduce the spacers underneath due to the higher position of the levers on the handlebars as compared to my old Deda 215 Shallow bar. I will have the spacers over the stem taken care of on my next trip to my LBS.

Excuse the crappy tape job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

bars look much nicer now. I still stand behind my earlier red bar tape comment though.