Colnago C40 Mapei edition

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

noah

by noah

Hey..

Just godt this new/old frame from another WW member.

I got a jersey and shorts for birthday and made a joke about I needed a "Mapei" bike. then it went fast thanks to GiantDK and Ianeverton.

Plan is to build up with original parts as the team was riding with.

Groupset: Shimano 7700
Wheels: Ambrosio Nemesis or CarboX
Saddle: San Marco
Stem ITM (model???)
handlebar: (model???)
Seatpost: Colnago (model???)

So if any of you have fotos or the model of bar/stem/seatpost please let me know

I will finish it over time. now need to hurry... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Uhh exciting, maybe this can help http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/200 ... apei.shtml .
I like it better Tafi style, with the blue ITM Big One stem though.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Congratulations!!
Its always nice to see how people like "old" stuff ;)

The stem is ITM Millenium. Dont know about the bars...
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/2002/features/probikes/?id=mapei

by 2002

Very nice. Keep that bike.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The Mapei groupset was DA and the rims sometimes FIR. Bars and stem: Italmanubri. And I also remember Rominger sometimes using a bi-tube and not one of the Mapei branded frames.

ronderman

by ronderman

color me jealous - any WW members have a 60cm - contact me.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I really like the fact you have an actual team issue frameset. The MAPEI color scheme was never one of my favorites on steel frames, but I do like to variant on the C40 frames with the carbon showing through on the back and front forks.

A build with Dura Ace 9V would be very cool indeed. I am doing a bike with the same groupset myself (Renovo R1).

Montana

by Montana

Very Nice! look forward to your completion

c50jim

by c50jim

That's a beautiful bike. If it's a 59 and you decide not to build it, send it here and I'll add it to my C40 collection (three others including a regular dealer Mapei). This one is reasonably early in the team painted bike era because it doesn't look like it's a B Stay.

Do you know what fork that is? It's sure not a Precisa, nor does it look like the Flash I had years ago or the Stars I have on my C40s now. Compare it to the Star in the picture of Tafi that Rumsas posted. Maybe it's the paint, but the tubes look wider.

It should make for a great ride. I still remember my 1995 C40 and actually tried to buy it back a few months ago. There should be lots of pictures on the web of team bikes, but I too remember Fir rims and ITM bars and stems. My dealer was getting ITM 260 bars, if I remember their name correctly, from the importer when I bought Colnagos in 95 and 96 and there was only one ITM stem available here. I thought we were still in the threaded steerer days at the time of this frame but I guess team bikes were ahead of the rest of us. I'd think you could get one of those stems on eBay if you look there for a while. Actually, I think the one in the picture is an ITM Millenium. I might even have one here if you need a 12 cm. No matching bars though.

I can't remember what saddles the team used. The seatpost in the majklnajt picture isn't anything I ever saw on a Colnago of that era. They came with carbon Selcofs usually branded Colnago. Might that be a Dura Ace with a shim?

Valbrona mentioned Rominger riding non team bi tube frames. Those were Bititans. Colnago name and paint, although rumoured to have been built in Slovenia. I had one in the late 90s and it was pretty flexy even to me, a casual old guy. It was a really smooth ride but not as good as the C40 I had from the same era. I had a Colnago calendar in 96 or 97 and it showed team riders on Masters and even Tafi, who was just a domestique in those days, riding a Tecnos. I have a Mapei Tecnos with Precisa fork that I bought from a dealer in Chicago about 10 years ago (my first eBay purchase).

Geoff

by Geoff

The bars and stems were generally ITM 'Millenium'. My stem is branded 'Colnago'. The post is a Dura-Ace with a shim. The saddles are San Marco but mine is a Flite with a San Marco cover. The headset is a threaded Dura-Ace ground-out to run as threadless. The wheels are Ambrosio X-Carbo built on Dura-Ace hubs with Sapim spokes. The tires are Vittoria All-Weathers.

noah

by noah

Thank you all for the specs. I have found a dura ace 25th anniversary seat post in a box, at an old Bike dealer. He sold it for 17 € ;) - so now i just need the rest....
Anyone have a good looking and fully functional 7700 group set?

noah

by noah

Hi again...

After a long search there has come some new/old parts for the project.

A brand new and untouched 7700 groupset including hubs.

And thanks to a friend of mine. Got the stem for a beer when we meet in town :)

Got the DA 25th seat post mounted with a shim from USE. And just ordered a San Marco Rolls sadel and blue colnago bar tape. so hopefully it will sone wait for shiny weather :)

Stay tuned for further updates....

kgt

by kgt

Congratulations noah for you effort. This is a legendary frame. I am sure you will enjoy it! :thumbup:
It's really a shame when people follow the easy, put on whatever component you find, route. What's the point at the end?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Love the 7700 groupset. But love my NOS 7700 25th groupset even more :wink:

Please put up pics of this beauty as soon as possible!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It's too bad you're in Denmark. If you were here, you'd be an instant member of the Maipei Boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifYO3MhQLs
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.