Custom Tsunami Build #2 (built up, pics on pg. 2)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

I have recently been thinking about getting another custom geometry frame built, and after much deliberation, it looks like I will be going with another Tsunami. It will be an ISP frame built around a 25mm setback Ritchey seat mast topper, and at the moment I am thinking it will look something like this:

Tsunami ISP
Tsunami ISP

At the moment, I am trying to see if a polished and clearcoated frame is possible (no paint). The frame will be prepped so that I can use either mechanical cables/housing or internal Di2 wiring. I am planning on running my SRAM stuff on it until I decide to make the jump to Di2.

Here are a couple things that sealed my decision to go with another Tsunami:

- ISP at no extra charge
- Drilling the frame for internal Di2 wiring for no extra charge
- Very reasonable cost for a custom geometry frame
- Joe (the owner) has been experimenting on his own time with trying to see if he can get a nice looking brushed finish to work on his frames. In fact, he said he just ordered a polishing kit because he wasn't happy with the looks after attempting a brushed finish so he wants to see if the polishing kit will help. He has also been answering all my questions in a very timely manner. In short, he has excellent customer service.

I am hoping to place the order sometime next week. I will update this post similar to my other build to document the process and keep everyone posted.
Last edited by fa63 on Mon May 28, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

CAN'T WAIT to see this. :thumbup:

Am very curious, especially on the ISP and brushed finish options. When I ordered my first one, Joe was as excited to do a brushed finish w/clearcoat as he was sticking a fork in his eye. :mrgreen: It's a LOT of work, all done by hand of course, and adding considerable time and expense.

Good luck and keep us posted. Am really looking forward to seeing what you do. :beerchug:

(p.s. it is, by the way, an addiction.)

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Should be a great build. I'm not sure Ive seen an alloy ISP bike before.

fa63

by fa63

jz4nyc wrote:CAN'T WAIT to see this. :thumbup:

Am very curious, especially on the ISP and brushed finish options. When I ordered my first one, Joe was as excited to do a brushed finish w/clearcoat as he was sticking a fork in his eye. :mrgreen: It's a LOT of work, all done by hand of course, and adding considerable time and expense.

Good luck and keep us posted. Am really looking forward to seeing what you do. :beerchug:

(p.s. it is, by the way, an addiction.)

Yeah, I am still not sure whether or not the polished finish is going to be feasible. I should have a definite answer by next week. If not, I am thinking about going with the same finish Ted (xnavalav8r) has on his English:

Ramjm_2000 wrote:Should be a great build. I'm not sure Ive seen an alloy ISP bike before.

There is the DeRosa Team frame that I know of, but other than that I can't think of any off the top of my head.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

from my hazy memory, the challenge joe had at the time was in the timing of getting brushed finish done immediately post-heat treat. apparently it's a boatload of work (for a 1 man shop) to prep & get lovely uniform finish on the 7005 alu., and the finish supposedly oxidizes quickly. that means you need to work fast on the brushed (or polished) finish fast, then get it clear coated. or if paint, it needs to be primed as soon as possible. what that exact timeframe is, of course, i don't know. when i first broached the idea, i could tell it wasn't something he was keen on doing, irrespective of upcharge. of course anything's possible, but at a price.

keep us posted! :thumbup: :D

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

fa63: here's another photo of a Tsunami that got done, I saw it over on velocipedesalon.com in a Tsunami bikes gallery.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Look up Gaulzetti. They (or rather, he, Craig, the owner/designer) is doing them with an ISP. Very nice rigs, from what I've read they seem to be purely race machines.

Ramjm_2000 wrote:Should be a great build. I'm not sure Ive seen an alloy ISP bike before.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

fa63: here's a photo of a cannondale here on ww that i found that i'd love to see joe do in terms of finish options. this with an isp....oh yeah, count me in. just don't tell my wife.... :mrgreen:

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

jz4nyc wrote:Look up Gaulzetti. They (or rather, he, Craig, the owner/designer) is doing them with an ISP. Very nice rigs, from what I've read they seem to be purely race machines.

Interesting bikes. I find it odd they don't really talk about the ISP feature. I know as a potential customer that would be something I'd like more info on given aluminum's reputation and the uniqueness of an alloy ISP frame.

fa63

by fa63

jz4nyc wrote:fa63: here's a photo of a cannondale here on ww that i found that i'd love to see joe do in terms of finish options. this with an isp....oh yeah, count me in. just don't tell my wife.... :mrgreen:

That looks nice, I would be happy if I could get something close to that finish :D

Maybe Joe will be more tempted to offer it as an option if he sees there is demand for it.

Ramjm_2000 wrote:Interesting bikes. I find it odd they don't really talk about the ISP feature. I know as a potential customer that would be something I'd like more info on given aluminum's reputation and the uniqueness of an alloy ISP frame.

I don't think the ISP on an alloy frame really gives any advantage. If anything, it might be a bit harsher compared to a standard seatpost. My choice to go with an ISP was based purely on aesthetics (I will run 5 psi less in my tires to make up for the added harshness, if there is any).

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Never know...might be just fine. Cant wait to hear the ride report when its built.

fa63

by fa63

It looks like the polished finish option is out. Also, the silver finish on the English bike I posted a picture of is powdercoat only, which Tsunami doesn't do. So it looks like I now need to choose another color.
Last edited by fa63 on Mon May 28, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

summiluxer

by summiluxer

I'd go with the Racing Green, maybe do some white pinstriping too

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

I'd go with something subtle. White with some classy accents (the recent Ritte thread comes to mind). I also might inquire about changing the typeface of the Tsunami logo; they look like very nicely made bikes and the font of the logo betrays this quality . . . a little too Comic Sans for my liking.

locktopus

by locktopus

Ducati had a colour out a while ago called Titan Grey Metallic. It's a gorgeous matte gunmetal.

And yeah, the logo is atrocious. Much like Neuvations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com