Update: Now 7.56 lb. Ruegamer, 3,414 grams. new pics, p. 5+6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

Would love to see the AC 350 rims built up. I have a pair right now that the rims are in great condition but the rear hub is screwed and I need to get a new set of hubs. I love some of the weights of the lighter 20/24 set ups but really do not want to go with 28/32 again if possible. Lighter hubs, 16 less spokes and 16 less nipples sound better than current. I like the rims however.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. One 20 hole Sprint 350 wheel I have is 490 grams, it has a modified micro 58 hub, which weighs 52 grams.

donald

by donald

AC Sprint 350 20 hole F. wheel made from a 28 hole rim, with a modified 20 hole AC micro 58 hub, complete weight 490 grams.
A couple of pictures of a 20 hole Fred Johnson rear wheel with aluminum tape covering the holes. As I have said before, I have done this for over 15 years, never had a problem with rim failure.
Attachments
new bike pic 001.jpg
new bike pic 002.jpg
new bike pic 003.jpg
new bike pic 004.jpg

artray

by artray

Donald, have you ever thought about tuning a red rear mech ?

donald

by donald

Artray, A Red rear derailleur would not work with my 8-cog set up. I don't think Sram makes down tube levers. I am very happy with my present set up although I have an XTR rear derailleur that I will try to get under 100 grams. Maybe next Winter. I have used down tube shifters for over 40 years and have won many races with them when everyone else was on the latest set ups. I usually use 12-21 , 53-38, even on long steep climbs. Also I do have index shifting.

fitrataramizar

by fitrataramizar

Donald,

Really inspiring,
It's the lightest clincher project in the world,
I'm also under project for sub 4kg Cervelo R5Vwd road bike in Bandung city, Indonesia

Seeing your bike & the tuning jobs, seems like still many things can do on my bike.
But the wheels that you built really impressive, I don't know how to catch it,
The wheels area never touched a lot on my bike, just some drilled on the body freewhels.

Congrats with that !
Greaaat Job !

craciunptr

by craciunptr

Hey donald

i was wondering could you get your bike under 2,8 kg if you would convert it into a fixed gear brakeless and flatbars ??

it would be fun to try it out i think just to se how it would work. then convert back to a roadie :)

jooo

by jooo

donald wrote:I don't think Sram makes down tube levers.

They don't AFAIK but if for whatever reason you felt like running '8 of 10' - you can get 7900 DT levers and I'm sure someone as resourceful as yourself would be able to adapt SRAM TT levers to work as DT levers seeing as they mount similarly.

donald

by donald

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support. I feel we all can do many things to build a lighter bike. Its not as much fun going up a long climb on a heavy bike. It probably is possible to get it down to 2.8 or 2.9 K as a single spd, flat bar, etc., but I don't plan to do that any time soon. Jooo, I could get Dura Ace 10-spd levers, but I am happy with my present set up. My right lever is modified quite a bit. The left lever is an old Modolo carbon/nylon composit. It is also modified and is very light.

bmxed

by bmxed

I stumbled across a photo of this amazing bike and felt the need to add it to this thread as we haven't had any higher definition photos of it in the past.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Donald, great work! I really enjoy following the development of this bike. For the bar tape, I saw that you used to have green tape that looks like garden tie ribbon (poly 8/12 mil?). Is that what you're using or have you found something else?

donald

by donald

Those pictures were taken near the start line of stage 2, Amgen Tour of Calif. Many people took pictures that day, this past Monday. People are amazed when they lift it, a bunch of pros included, before the start of that stage. I had the dash saddle on as it is a few grams lighter than the becker saddle, I mainly ride the dash saddle. I had the green handle bar tape on for a short time just to try it. The blue tape is a special tape, one inch wide like regular bar tape, it has some stretch to it, but it is very thin, not the most durable, but I only change once a year, it does last that long for me.

donald

by donald

Now 7.53 lb, 3414grams. info to follow
Attachments
BikeWeight.JPG
bike.JPG

BmanX

by BmanX

Very cool. would love to find out what you did to get the lower weight.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

donald

by donald

It is now 7.53 lbs. sometimes the scale read 7.56. 3,412 grams. This is with my 265 gram tubular front wheel. I now have a compact Calvicula, 20 grams less than my 130 bcd Calvicula, modified of course. A little less chain length. I took 3 grams off the fork, and just a little less padding under the brake lever hoods. At some point I will take another 14 grams off so that the bike is around 3,398 grams.