Look 586 SL - my new ride

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

thencameyou

by thencameyou

This is my new frame, courtesy of another WW member (thanks SW!). Ended up getting it because a) I've always wanted a Look b) I needed an equally nice frame to match the Lightweights c) the Addict that I had before never really felt like it fit me properly.

Buildlist as follows:
Frame/Fork: Look 586SL frame (XL) - surprisingly light for an XL, weighed in at 1040g with uncut mast, bottle cage bolts, rear hanger etc. Fork is HSC 6.
Crank: SRAM S900 Power2Max 175mm
Chainrings: SRAM Powerglide Black 53-39t
FD: SRAM Red Ti
RD: SRAM Red
Shifters: SRAM Red w/ white SRAM hoods
Brakes: SRAM Red w/ Zipp Tangente Cork Pads
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cassette: Shimano CS-7900 12-27t
Wheelset: Carbonsports Lightweight Standard Gen I w/ Dura-ace rear hub (heavier than I expected ~1200g)
Tubulars: Veloflex Carbon 22mm
Cables: Nokon White (except section through top tube as the Nokons wouldn't fit)
Stem: Ritchey Carbon WCS UD 120mm
Bars: Ritchey WCS Wet White Logic Curve 42cm (actually measure 43cm c-c)
Saddle: Fizik Antares Braided Carbon
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Ti White
Bar Tape: Fizik Black Logo Soft Touch
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible 3K weave
Computer: Garmin 500 (neutral colour scheme)

There's only one upgrade I have in mind, to replace the bars with the carbon version in the same shape. First ride impressions - geo is nice, front end is fairly tall so will probably slam the stem soon. Ride is quite muted with the red spacer, but it is light and stiff and climbs wonderfully. Hasn't been put on the scales yet but would guess around 6.5kg all up.

Guymk

by Guymk

My Jaw dropped when i saw the picture, Very Well Done Sir! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

ohhh la la. Very nice! Definitely report back after you get some more time on it.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

kgt

by kgt

One of the nicest Look bikes in this forum. Congrats!

Routier

by Routier

Delicious! There's just the right amount of yellow in it without the colour dominating, although I wonder whether yellow hoods would look good?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You don't necessarily need to slam the stem. From an aesthetics perspective perhaps a 10 degree stem or one that is angled similar to the top tube would do the trick. It would get you lower and look a little better - minor issue. Overall a fantastic looking bike. We just don't see that much yellow or at least yellow that looks so good.

Curious what all black cables, saddle and hoods would look like. Maybe a little more serious?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

em3

by em3

Wow...gorgeous ride! Very well balanced and great build. Love the yellow...makes yellow the new matte black!

em3

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Mr.Gib wrote:Curious what all black cables, saddle and hoods would look like. Maybe a little more serious?

thanks for all the compliments.

agree that the stem looks a bit unusual in the photos (given it's a -6), can't remember my other frames having such a degree of apparent rise with the same stem. keen to keep with Ritchey stuff (light, well finished, reasonably priced) but as far as I know the only other stem angle they do is a -17deg.

I think it might actually be quite nice in all black - would let the yellow shine through a bit more, but spare funds for another carbon railed Antares (only the 00 comes in solid black I think) and a new set of Nokons aren't available ATM!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

thencameyou wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:Curious what all black cables, saddle and hoods would look like. Maybe a little more serious?

thanks for all the compliments.

agree that the stem looks a bit unusual in the photos (given it's a -6), can't remember my other frames having such a degree of apparent rise with the same stem. keen to keep with Ritchey stuff (light, well finished, reasonably priced) but as far as I know the only other stem angle they do is a -17deg.

I think it might actually be quite nice in all black - would let the yellow shine through a bit more, but spare funds for another carbon railed Antares (only the 00 comes in solid black I think) and a new set of Nokons aren't available ATM!

That's an XL size ? maybe that explains it. Look employs a 'progressive sloping' top-tube design. The larger the frame, the less it slopes. Yours is almost horizontal already. If it was an M or S, it would look almost perfectly in line with the top tube.

I preferred mine about -10 degrees ( hard to find a light stem with such an angle) when I still had my 585 and 595 framesets ( in M size). As it meant that I didn't have to cut my steerer right down and it still looked decent good! :P

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice bike, I like it!

timintense

by timintense

very nice 586, sram red yellow tour edition would look superb on that, pardon the pun :thumbup:
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

kgt

by kgt

Actually I prefer it as it is since it matches the red stripe of the seatpost. :!:

sawyer

by sawyer

I really liked this "colorway", as they say over the pond, when I first saw it, and your bike looks great.

SRAM Red Yellow would look much better I agree with Mr Tim.

Also, I'd go for straight black bartape, black hoods, and black saddle.

Other than that it is easy on the eye.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Fantastic bike and great colour scheme! Not a fan of the white hoods though, personally i'd go for black...

majklnajt

by majklnajt

How about a LOOK stem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com