HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm 

Valbrona wrote:
Your deeper section rim would probably have been better on the front. By the time the air reaches your rear wheel it is 'dirty' and as such there is less of a need for a deeper section rim than at the front.

Not according to Simon Smart. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 pm 

Valbrona wrote:
Your deeper section rim would probably have been better on the front. By the time the air reaches your rear wheel it is 'dirty' and as such there is less of a need for a deeper section rim than at the front.

Do you have data to support this? What I've read suggests the opposite, as has the (not necessarily correct) conventional wisdom as demonstrated by the use almost universally the past decade of narrower rims in the front and deeper rims in the back on TT bikes ...???

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:35 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 am 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
prendrefeu wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

No-one on the planet will claim that a shallow front wheel is more aerodynamic than a deeper one in 'perfect' conditions - they use disc front wheels on tracks, you will note. But Simon Smart - and like myself - claims that a shallower front wheel, and wider for that matter, improves stability. Kind of obvious really on account of cross-winds.

Since this is a truly global forum, some have the pleasure of riding their machines in relatively windless conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 am 

Valbrona wrote:

This might be true in a scenario where there are only two rims left on the surface on the earth.

Under real circumstances your argument, reduced to rim depth only holds true but, imho, provides less than ideal results.

Ignoring shpae for a moment, while 7cm front and 6cm rear might be more aero (not necessairly better) than 6/7, 7/7 or 7/8 would be faster still with no compelling reason not to use a rear wheel of that size.

I suppose you could try and find a scenario like a hill climb where the weight savings might give you an ever so slight edge, but I doubt a 7cm front and 6cm rear would be the fastest wheelset that day.

If it's calm enough to hold the deep front wheel, you should go for a deeper rim in the rear.

In this specific case you can't forget that the rims not only have a different depth, but also a different shape to account for the fact that the air is usually dirtier when it hits the rear wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:33 am 

Valbrona wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

No-one on the planet will claim that a shallow front wheel is more aerodynamic than a deeper one in 'perfect' conditions - they use disc front wheels on tracks, you will note. But Simon Smart - and like myself - claims that a shallower front wheel, and wider for that matter, improves stability. Kind of obvious really on account of cross-winds.

Since this is a truly global forum, some have the pleasure of riding their machines in relatively windless conditions.

You do realize that the build you are currently commenting on is with Enve 3.4's, which were designed by Simon Smart specifically to have the deeper (yet thinner) wheel in the rear and the shallower but wider rim in the front? And in this very same thread you're stating that the deeper rim (the 4 of the 3.4) should go in the front? You need to read up on why Simon designed the wheels the way he did. Until then, your assertion is laudable, at best. :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 am 

exactly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 pm 

Hi Fourthbook, nice looking frame. I like that colourscheme. I 've got a couple of questions about the Woodman IT you're using.
I'm looking at it as an alternative to a Ritchey Stubby on an Addict. I need setback so choices are limited.

Did you use the Stubby originally and was it a straight swap, no seatmast reduction required?
How do you find the Woodman with regards to your carbon railed Selle Italia?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:15 pm 

Valbrona wrote:

Sort-of. The idea with these Smart system wheels is to choose the level of aero / weight / steering difficulty / stiffness desired, then each pair of wheels are optimised around that. So if he had wanted a deeper front wheel then he would choose the deeper wheel system.

Agree that if you only have enough money for one aero wheel it's best to put it on the front of the bike. But IMHO likely better to buy 2 cheaper aero wheels, or to save more. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:01 pm 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
prendrefeu wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

You do realize that the build you are currently commenting on is with Enve 3.4's, which were designed by Simon Smart specifically to have the deeper (yet thinner) wheel in the rear and the shallower but wider rim in the front? And in this very same thread you're stating that the deeper rim (the 4 of the 3.4) should go in the front? You need to read up on why Simon designed the wheels the way he did. Until then, your assertion is laudable, at best. :|

Are you the dimmest forum member? A deeper rim wheel is more aerodynamic than a shallow rim wheel - assuming perfect conditions - but Simon Smart opts for a not so deep front wheel in order to give stability in non-perfect conditions. There is no 'design' in it. It is called common sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm 

If it is common sense why are people arguing that the deep rim should go in the front. Also a deeper rim will make a stiffer wheel. when I do my 50 mile loop I do 20miles south 10 east and 20 north. This ride takes me to the beach and for the 5 miles before I arrive to the beach I get almost fully frontal winds on a broken tarmac. once at the beach I will get winds left to right, and on the way back I will get tail winds for about 5 miles. Should I ride with a deeper front.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:44 pm 

Valbrona wrote:
Are you the dimmest forum member?

No, but many of us are patiently waiting for you to prove yourself not to be. :|

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 am 

5 8 5 wrote:
Hi Fourthbook, nice looking frame. I like that colourscheme. I 've got a couple of questions about the Woodman IT you're using.
I'm looking at it as an alternative to a Ritchey Stubby on an Addict. I need setback so choices are limited.

Did you use the Stubby originally and was it a straight swap, no seatmast reduction required?
How do you find the Woodman with regards to your carbon railed Selle Italia?

I switched out the Ritchey Stubby that came stock w/the frame for the Woodman after looking a lot for a lighter weight and better looking (IMO) alternative. The Woodman is 88 grams versus 136 grams for the Stubby (on my scale). Couldn't find any reliable reviews on the Woodman and very little on the company, so I was a bit worried about the quality and seemingly thin width of the cradle's contact/mounting points. So far, so good. Quality looks good on close inspection, albeit CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, which I believe is less strong than 7000-series used by Tune and others for their cappys. I did have to file the grooves on the cradle to fit the Selle Italia's rails, which I thin wrapped w/black electrical tape to provide a better clamping surface and reduce any imperfections in the surface. Works fine.

Also, although the Woodman sits down only 35mm onto the seat mast, versus 50 mm for the Ritchey Stubby, the seat rails on both toppers are at the same height when both are inserted to their maximum, so I did not need to make any adjustments in the seat height when switching from one to the other...

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:15 pm 

just wondering what type of of BB bearing that wilier using? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 pm 

Cento wrote:
just wondering what type of of BB bearing that wilier using? thanks

I replaced the steel bearings that came OEM with Enduo 'zero' ceramic bearings http://www.superflycycles.com/servlet/-strse-321/Enduro-Zero-Grade-3/Detail. They fit perfectly, not needing the spacer used on the OEM bearings. Seem to work great...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:35 pm 

Fourthbook wrote:
I switched out the Ritchey Stubby that came stock w/the frame for the Woodman after looking a lot for a lighter weight and better looking (IMO) alternative. The Woodman is 88 grams versus 136 grams for the Stubby (on my scale). Couldn't find any reliable reviews on the Woodman and very little on the company, so I was a bit worried about the quality and seemingly thin width of the cradle's contact/mounting points. So far, so good. Quality looks good on close inspection, albeit CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, which I believe is less strong than 7000-series used by Tune and others for their cappys. I did have to file the grooves on the cradle to fit the Selle Italia's rails, which I thin wrapped w/black electrical tape to provide a better clamping surface and reduce any imperfections in the surface. Works fine.

Also, although the Woodman sits down only 35mm onto the seat mast, versus 50 mm for the Ritchey Stubby, the seat rails on both toppers are at the same height when both are inserted to their maximum, so I did not need to make any adjustments in the seat height when switching from one to the other...

Cheers

Thanks for all the info Fourthbook. As you say it's difficult to find info about it. I saw your post on Fairwheel and again not much info was forthcoming. From the pictures it certainly looks like it's well manufactured and finished.
Can I be a pest and ask a favour? Could you please give me a measurement from the front yoke to the rear one? I'm trying to get an idea of how it would fit re. my saddle setup.
Cheers.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:35 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next