11' Tarmac Pro...The battle for middle earth...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

subscribed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I will bet everything I own that your bike does not work perfectly.

Why's that? I've talked to mechanics that have worked the service course for Sram sponsored pro teams and both the b-screw adjustment and chain length are imperative for proper rear shifting. Your b screw is in too far and your chain is far too short, but hey you know more than them.

Sram also requires a longer rear loop than you're using in order for the housing to hit the barrel adjuster on the derailleur at the correct angle. Its another thing that makes a huge difference in drag.

Unlined housing with solid steel cable has not been sold in shops for two decades for a reason. Its not being snobby, its because it doesn't last and performs terribly. Again, Sram doesn't include Gore cables or coated cables with their shifters to be snobby, they do it because it actually makes the bike shift better. You really have to stop and wonder why you're the only person that seems to be using such a setup. If it were that great a pro mech would have already been doing things that way, but hey I guess a guy that has ridden less than a year is more mechanically inclined.

And remember, less than 2 months ago you couldn't tell the difference between brake cable and shift cable so its hard to believe that you became an expert in that amount of time. Also, you sold your 0g brakes because you couldn't center them, but they're actually very easy to center even with Yokozuna cables, which are the stiffest out there.

Lastly, the Romin isn't supposed to be setup that way- just ask any Specialized dealer, fitter, technician, etc. Its not a matter of taste, but the saddle is downward sloping overall, which will put more pressure on your hands. This should matter if you care about fit. Tape should also matter because that gloss carbon will be very slippery with any moisture- not fun if you're descending in the drops in the rain or humid conditions. You also say you care most about fit, but cut the steerer without ever being fitted just because some respondents to your thread said it was a nonsensical setup.

Take a step back and look how arrogant you are appearing. You act as if its a bunch of snobs vs. the new guy, but its literally almost every single poster agreeing that you are doing some simple things incredibly wrong. The internet is a tool for knowledge and you should use it as such, not shun everyone that is trying to help.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

KWalker wrote:I've talked to mechanics...

You've talked to mechanics...great! How does that compare to doing it yourself? How does that compare to you riding MY bike?

KWalker wrote:Sram also requires a longer rear loop than you're using...

Did I not take a good pic of the loop? You could drive a Greyhound bus through that loop.

KWalker wrote:Unlined housing with solid steel cable has not been sold in shops for two decades for a reason. Its not being snobby, its because it doesn't last and performs terribly. Again, Sram doesn't include Gore cables or coated cables with their shifters to be snobby...

Again, when last did you ride my bike?

KWalker wrote:And remember, less than 2 months ago you couldn't tell the difference between brake cable and shift cable so its hard to believe that you became an expert in that amount of time...

Yes, I took a pill and now I know everything! Seriously, I learn from my mistakes.

KWalker wrote:Lastly, the Romin isn't supposed to be setup that way- just ask any Specialized dealer, fitter, technician, etc. Its not a matter of taste, but the saddle is downward sloping overall, which will put more pressure on your hands. ...

Some of us have a lot of JUNK...we need the nose down. Measure the junk of the techy who gave you that advice then get back with me. Perhaps the techy was a girl? All my bikes' noses are pointed down...you think that's just coincidental?

I'm hearing a lot of opinions from people who come across as snobs...that's my take.
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

billspreston

by billspreston

StuTheWellEndowed

Dude's unit is just too large for a level saddle.

crazydachshund

by crazydachshund

petepeterson wrote:subscribed!

Hilarious!
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/RobWinstead

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

I'm not trying to flatter myself. Trying to make the point that not all crotches are created equal.
Last edited by StuTheWeak on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyindo

by andyindo

Stu, you post your bike on this forum which is slightly infamous for its critics but in a good way. Anyone who posts a bike here expects criticism, and thats what this forum does best. ADVISES people on what does and doesnt work. I dont know kwalker from a bar of soap but everything he said in his last post is either true or fairly common knowledge. Instead of getting upset why not take some of this to heart and actually improve your bike!
Or we wait until your hands slip off those handlebars with the first hint of moisture and break your collabone/bike. Or your gears slip and you smash your supposedly massive 'junk' against your stem.

if you're not prepared for advice/criticism then dont post on the forum....

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

My massive member will break my fall.

Seriously, if my bars get slippery in mid-ride...I'll just triple wrap my bars with my member...problem solved :)

deltasierra

by deltasierra

War Eagle!

KWalker

by KWalker

The guy who gave me the saddle info designed the *f##k* thing. You don't ride on your dick even if you're Lex Steel. I don't think its coincidental, I just think you're an arrogant and ignorant person who doesn't actually know what they're doing. We have fit hundreds of people to all types of bikes and the lowest a nose has ever had to go down was 3 degrees. Yours are like 20. From NFL Linebackers to national champions so I doubt that you are any kind of exception.

And yes, I've cabled hundreds of Sram bikes and wrenched on more. I have a good idea of how it works and how even a tad bit of moisture will harm performance. Rust= worse than moisture.

People like you make me ashamed to admit that Arkansas, with its wealth of really cool shit, is even a state.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kgt

by kgt

KWalker, really, why waisting your time... :?:

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

KWalker wrote:The guy who gave me the saddle info designed the *f##k* thing. You don't ride on your dick even if you're Lex Steel. I don't think its coincidental, I just think you're an arrogant and ignorant person who doesn't actually know what they're doing. We have fit hundreds of people to all types of bikes and the lowest a nose has ever had to go down was 3 degrees. Yours are like 20. From NFL Linebackers to national champions so I doubt that you are any kind of exception.

And yes, I've cabled hundreds of Sram bikes and wrenched on more. I have a good idea of how it works and how even a tad bit of moisture will harm performance. Rust= worse than moisture.

People like you make me ashamed to admit that Arkansas, with its wealth of really cool shit, is even a state.

Sounds like $%^& envy...

timintense

by timintense

am sorry to say this but i agree that the chain is a wee bit short, but the length of the cable housing to the rear deraileur looks fine to me, and am not sure how people can tell from these pics how far the b screw is in, am guessing you do run brakes?
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

crohnsy

by crohnsy

KWalker you are just getting trolled right now....

Tonypgst

by Tonypgst

This thread is as epic as it is absurd. Entertaining really at how unreceptive someone can be to any advice, regardless of it coming across as snobbish or with the genuine intent to be helpful. :? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com