My first weight weenie bike, Scott Addict 5.3kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

szaffiri

by szaffiri

Hello everyone, this is my first weight weenie bike. My goal was to build as light of a bike as possible with as little money as possible. I think in total I spent less than $1500 usd. The shifters and derailleurs I already had and everything thing else I bought used off ebay or other forums. The weight come in right at 5.3kg, I am very happy with how it turned out.

-Scott Addict SL framset (Large), I believe its a 2009, it is pre-bb86
-Edge 1.38 and 1.25 rims with DT190 hubs
-Planet-X skewers
-Vittoris Corsa evo cx tubulars
-Stronlight crankset w/kcnc bottom bracket
-KMC s10sl chain
-Cassette is some off-brand, it is two pieces, half aluminum and half ti
-nokon cables housing
-Powercorz shifter cables
-3T arx team stem
-Ritchey Super Logic 44cm carbon bars
-lizard skin 1.8mm bar tape
-Kcnc cb1 brakeset
-The saddle I made myself and weights 90g
-Teschner seatpost
-Speedplay stainelss pedals

Once I get my fit dialed in I will make an integrated saddle/seatpost combo (like berks)
Unfortunately I do not have weights of individual components

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Wow - great weight at any price, let alone ~$1,500. Sweet ride!

gleason

by gleason

Great build. I always like seeing large bikes built up super light. Gives the tall guys hope.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Is that a zip tie on the rear-derailleur cable housing?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I'd get rid of those nokons they look a mess. Those have to be causing you problems.

53x12

by 53x12

prendrefeu wrote:Is that a zip tie on the rear-derailleur cable housing?

Yes.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

szaffiri

by szaffiri

Yes it is a zip tie holding the rear cable housing, if I don't have that the housing falls to the side. Any good way to clean up the look nokon housings?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Welcome to the WW crew.

Absolutely loving the Pulsion crank. Don't see many these days. Keep it!

Sweet hubs, but what's the story on the two seemingly different rims: one shallow and the other mid deep-ish. Was it opportunistic or your plan all along?

I look forward to going shallow again one day: Enve's 25 clinchers are too spendy and Zipp's 202 clinchers are too heavy to get me to pop on either.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

szaffiri wrote:Yes it is a zip tie holding the rear cable housing, if I don't have that the housing falls to the side. Any good way to clean up the look nokon housings?

I like the build, and as a fellow WW just mentioned - welcome to the club!

That said (and I hate to be critical, so take this as constructive) maybe your loop coming from the chain stay to the derailleur is too long?
It shouldn't fall off to the side like that.

I could be wrong... but anyway, if the zip tie works and doesn't affect shifting, then it works and go with it.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

konky

by konky

How you got to that weight without any super expensive stuff e.g. AX etc. I don't know. Amazing work. Congratulations!

szaffiri

by szaffiri

I will try to shorten up the cable going to the rear derailleur but I feel like if I go any shorter the bend will be too tight.

Here is the story behind the wheels. I bought the rear wheel on ebay with the tire for $380. The rim is an edge 1.38 but I put enve decals on it. After several months of searching I could not find a matching front rim for a reasonable price. I came across a brand new edge 1.25 for $300 and managed to find a matching front hub for $125, and I got the spokes at cost from my shop for basically $1 a piece. I would certainly prefer to have matching rims but for the price I cannot complain. I will be putting enve decals on the front rim soon so that should help out a little.

Once I can get my saddle/seatpost combo finished up I should be able to drop around 150g.

Also keep in mind I don't have any bottle cages on it right no so once those get added the weight will go up a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com