My TT Bike (Scott Plasma 2, 7.5kg w/ Hed3 + Super 9)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

woz9683

by woz9683

Ok, both the tektro and the trp center pulls are listed as OEM only. Kind of odd, they look good and aero, you'd think they'd sell a slight variation retail.

I looked at the Plasma 3 also; it was really more than I wanted to spend, and it was used too. Still a pretty good deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woz9683

by woz9683

Snapped a couple of shots

Came in a couple grams heavy, 468g w/ 295mm extensions. Hard to capture a picture of the beauty of UD carbon, but suffice it to say they look great. The rests could probably be shaved in half, they are stout, but also look nice in UD carbon. Fit seems good; the width of the extensions will work for me. The drops feel good too, have a nice ergo shape. They've got some surface texture in several places including on the drops, supposedly for boundary layer control, although I think on the drops its just to make it a little grippy, as in might not need tape.

Saddle came in too, hiding in the background, but its very nice as well. Not quite comparable to the Scratch Nack, but should be comfy enough.

woz9683

by woz9683

Frame came in last night 8) I messed around with the seat post topper for way too long, had to make some slight modifications to get the carbon-railed Prologo to fit the clamp, good thing is, it has a lot of contact area so it should be gentle on the rails.

Weights are under expected (now that it's been cut), the total weight is 2,061g.
seat post topper @ 165g
headset @ 67g
fork @ 356g
frame @ 1473g
(the included expander/top cap/bolt is 53g, but I won't be using it)

The frame has internal housing for the rear brake, but nothing for the derailleurs, so I guess I'll have to run housing all the way through the frame. Can anyone verify if this is the way to do it? It's my first internal routing. It just seems like it will be a massive run of housing (straight through handlebar extensions into frame and all the way down to the derailleurs).

I'll take some pictures tonight. And hopefully make a little more progress on the build.

EDIT: Updated weights here too.
Last edited by woz9683 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

woz9683

by woz9683

Here's a couple more pics. Nothing has been cut yet in the frame pic. I was just trying to get a feel for the size of the front brake, really, it's huge looking :? I think I just convinced myself to spend more money.

I think the crank is going to look good with the KCNC ring!

Took a cut off the seatpost (after the pics), it still needs to come down a good bit though. I already pulled apart my speedplays, so I'll wait to start tuning the fit until the new spindles come in and I get the crank attached.

woz9683

by woz9683

Good to know they're available, my little mod worked fine though.

Got the shift cables run tonight. Went with standard housings and cables. I'll use the i-links for the brakes for sure though.

woz9683

by woz9683

Black Simkins Egg brakes on the way 8)

I got one of the omni racer BBs, but it shipped without the SRAM adapter. I emailed them, hopefully they can get one out to me. I've put the standard GXP on there for now.

Just have to get the chain and pedals on and I can start fine tuning the fit. I should be able to get it close tonight, and put some miles on the trainer tomorrow or Sunday, and decide if I need to shorten or drop the stem.

Disc cover arrived today too. So, I can get a weight on that tonight.

So, basically just waiting on brakes and i-links before it's road worthy.

woz9683

by woz9683

Current weight is 6.69kg. I'm missing brake calipers, housings and cables, but the levers are included. I have a shorter (90mm) and steeper (-17) stem on the way; I went with a 3T team so weight should be the same or slightly lower there. There's still some extra material on the steerer along with some chunky spacers and the heavy expander is still in there. I think I'll be able to keep the stem slammed with the -17, but I'll leave some extra material until I know for sure. Should be right at 7kg with the 404s. The disc cover will add 385g. Here's a couple pics.

woz9683

by woz9683

Not bad with standard housings, fed a cable through from the TT down to the BB, and another from the chainstay up to the BB, tied them together and pulled the whole thing back to the chainstay. Then backfed the housing over the cable; if your cable is long enough and you cut the housing close to length you can feed the housing far enough to expose the cable on both ends. Pull the cable taut (holding both ends), and you can force the housing straight through the rest of the frame. Finally fed it up through the handlebars. It took a bit to figure out, but was really easy once I got it going.

The only thing is with no cable stops where the housing enters the downtube, there's a little bit of rubbing when the housing pulls back and forth as you steer, etc. I feel like I need a little rubber grommet or something to keep the housing from sliding back and forth at this point. Maybe a couple wraps of shrink tubing? Any thoughts?

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

this is a TT bike forget the weight :mrgreen: aerodynamic and stiffness is all about . put a 54 chairing and eat the road .
at the end dont forget if you dont have a disk wheel you dont have TT bike :beerchug:
πατα τραβα ρε

hansonator69

by hansonator69

miltmaster3 wrote:this is a TT bike forget the weight :mrgreen: aerodynamic and stiffness is all about . put a 54 chairing and eat the road .
at the end dont forget if you dont have a disk wheel you dont have TT bike :beerchug:

+1
Slam your stem.

woz9683

by woz9683

Haha, I know, but weight is so easy. It seems nice and stiff, but I really won't be able to tell until I get it onto the road. It definitely puts me in a more powerful and aerodynamic position than my road bike plus clip ons, and the frame and setup is significantly more aero as well.

How bad is it going to be with a disc cover instead of a real disc? The cover looks comparable aerodynamically, but... :oops: I haven't even put it on the wheel yet, maybe it will look ok?

And, until I can spin out a 50/11....on a flat....for the length of a time trial, I think I'm ok without a 54 :wink:

hansonator69

by hansonator69

woz9683 wrote:How bad is it going to be with a disc cover instead of a real disc? The cover looks comparable aerodynamically, but... :oops: I haven't even put it on the wheel yet, maybe it will look ok?

It won't be bad at all. It's gonna look just like a disc and have similar aerodynamics, but it won't have the wooosh woosh sound of a full carbon disc.
Slam your stem.

woz9683

by woz9683

Brakes came in and they look great. Weight is actually 285g including the standard pads. I'll pull the pads and get a weight without them this evening. So, I'm just waiting on brake cables, housings and a new stem. Should have it on the road next week.

woz9683

by woz9683

Ready to ride at 7.05kg. It's been a busy couple of days, but finally got the brakes attached. I'm still waiting on the Corima brake pads before making final adjustments to the brake setup (cables a little long and setup a little wide). So, should be 7.4kg with the disc cover attached. Maybe I can actually get it on the road by this weekend. :roll: Image

timtri13

by timtri13

Juanmoretime wrote:Very well done! :thumbup: It looks very clean from the front. I assume those are training wheels not race wheels. Also I use the bolt on type skewers on my race wheels since aerodynamically they catch less wind.

yeah really sexy front :thumbup: :thumbup: I like the view

great work :beerchug: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com