HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:39 pm 

if you are planing to race on a TT race you are bun!!!! look and you will see why (the nose of the saddle must be 5cm from the center of your crank) it took me 2 months to find the right position

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... rules.html

if you are planing to race on a triathlon then you are ok

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:17 pm 

miltmaster3 wrote:
if you are planing to race on a TT ... the nose of the saddle must be 5cm from the center of your crank)

Only relevant if its a UCI sanctioned event. Not an evening TT series

Fisher Outdoor Leisure

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:04 pm 

Yeah, it won't be an issue for me. However, I had noticed that, and measured just out of curiousity. I'm actually 2.5-3cm behind the center of the BB. That last side-view picture is a bit deceiving too, the fence line makes it look almost inline, but the front wheel is slightly downhill. If it did become an issue for some event, I could slide the saddle back a couple cm and sit a little further out on the nose. The no-slip on the nose of the Prologo is nice for that, I didn't feel myself shifting around at all.

I did get out on the road for a short time yesterday. I've got a nice, slightly rolling road where I can put some real miles in. I noticed a few things. First, I rolled over some reflectors in the road and almost immediately ejected the water bottle. I'd really like some opinions from anyone with similar experiences (or disimilar, maybe mine is defective, twisted out of the mold or something), or on an aero bottle/cage that actually holds in place.

Second, the disc was surprisingly hard to control. I've never ridden anything deeper than the 404s, but never had any issue at all with them in some pretty strong crosswinds, but man, I really felt like I was fighting it yesterday. It seemed like once I got up around 27-28mph I got a strong gyroscopic effect; I was trying to counter-steer for the crosswind and it didn't want to let me :lol: Now, this road runs north-south with winds out of the west, so I expected the crosswind, but didn't think it would be that difficult to control (and the wind wasn't that bad yesterday either). I'm 5'10" 155lbs so not heavy, but not terribly light either. I kept thinking maybe the cover wasn't screwed on tightly and it was gapping open at some point, but I checked and all the fittings were tight. Only other thing was I didn't cover the slot for the valve stem, myabe that didn't help? In any case, I'll take it back out this afternoon and give it another run, maybe I just need to get used to it.

Everything else felt great, it's going to be a lot of fun to ride. I'll do some short TT intervals today, I didn't really push anything difficult for too long yesterday, losing light too fast :cry:

Last edited by woz9683 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:05 am 
Administrator

So was the KCNC blade a good choice for a ring? Does it shift well and is it stiff enough? I assume that it runs quiet.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:26 pm 

Yes, the blade seems to have been a good choice. I put the bike on the trainer and shifted back and forth repeatedly to get the feel of friction shifting, and it shifted very cleanly. I don't notice any noise from it on the road, although I'd imagine if you did have some noise from the drivetrain it would probably amplify it; it's such a thin plate in some areas. It also seems stiff enough, I haven't done any real sprint efforts, but for normal use, fine so far. In the end, I felt comfortable getting it because it's only a 50T and I live in MS, so I don't really shift off of the big ring that much.

I felt much more comfortable controlling the bike when I got back out on the road on Sunday, in similar conditions, so maybe I just got used to the feel quickly (I hope anyway). I did several short, intense intervals and clocked times that were comparable to season bests for me on hillier terrain than normal. The tuck is much more compact than what I was getting into on the road bike, and mainly pulling my elbows in so much made my shoulders sore after a while, but I'll get used to that. Overall, I did 30 miles in relative comfort in a nice aero position, only stretching a few times; it was more than I was expecting for just the second day on the bike.

Another question; the right shifter has this little plastic bushing in it that doesn't seem to be doing anything, it just fits loosely inside the housing. It rattles around with any road vibration and gets annoying, I was going to add a little grease or oil to it, but I don't have any idea why it's even in there? I can take pictures if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:59 pm 
Administrator

What shifter is it? I have only used Campy in recent years. You mentioned the thin part and I do use full size rings so I wonder if there might be stiffness issues with a 53 tooth?

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:16 pm 

It's the SRAM TT900 index shifter. I'll take a pic tonight. Maybe I can find a blowup view from SRAM, installed in the wrong order perhaps.

I'll have to look at the blade again to be sure, but my first impression was that it looks like the new KCNC cobweb from the inside, but they left a thin sheet of material in between the "spokes" to keep that solid look on the outside. I'll try to get a pic of the inside tonight too, maybe get a caliper on it as well, to see how thin the material actually is.

I'll get it back on the trainer and really crank on it for a few miles tonight too, see if I can flex it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 am 

I noticed fairwheel has a pretty good shot of the backside of the chainring on their site. Here's the one I took though. Image

Here's the shifter. The little white plastic ring is just floating around behind the red cap. Thoughts? Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:10 pm 

Hed3c came in, looks sweet! Here's a crappy phone pic.

SRAM Red TT crankset on the way as well. 54/42t, 170mm with the SRAM tt outer ring. Got a good deal, and it came with a ceramic BB, which I need to change on my road bike before next season anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 am 

woz9683 wrote:
Hed3c came in, looks sweet! Here's a crappy phone pic.

Get a Highroad decal on your HED3, for the nostalgic Highroad look :P

Hating a 'drivetrain' choice on one bike vs. another is as imbecile as people getting into fist-fights at a motor race that they are not actually racing in Australia over a debate between two car companies. It really is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm 

What if I matched the font and put my actual team name on the wheel? I don't wear team kit during TTs, so that would be a good way to give them some recognition. Yellow isn't one of our colors, but it would make people look twice (or I could do it in white).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 pm 

I think that'd be pretty slick, but keep it true with the yellow. Keen eyes will recognize it, I know I would!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 am 

Alright, I'm going to see what I can do. Team is "absolute racing" so I can do "absolute" on one side and "racing" on the other. Just a single spoke, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:16 am 

woz9683 wrote:
Alright, I'm going to see what I can do. Team is "absolute racing" so I can do "absolute" on one side and "racing" on the other. Just a single spoke, of course.

In the same font as the "Highroad" text, for extra effect of course. :wink:

Hating a 'drivetrain' choice on one bike vs. another is as imbecile as people getting into fist-fights at a motor race that they are not actually racing in Australia over a debate between two car companies. It really is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 am 

TerribleCadence wrote:
miltmaster3 wrote:
if you are planing to race on a TT ... the nose of the saddle must be 5cm from the center of your crank)

Only relevant if its a UCI sanctioned event. Not an evening TT series

although relevant, if you want to participate in uci-events: the aero-cover may not be used. thats the only downer of the covers. :(

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next