Rob English / English Cycles Cyclocross Build [COMPLETE]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

USofChay

by USofChay

Hi All,

I'll post updates as the build progresses in this thread. I should have a final plan within a couple of days.

Features for the build: I weigh 170 lbs so stiffness takes a slight priority over weight, no ISP, matching stem with integrated cable hanger, rear brake and rear derailleur cables on TT and FD cables under BB, paint job using matte black as primary color with glossy black and a bright accent color.

Will be built up with Zipp cyclocross 303 tubulars, an Enve CX fork, Chris King headset, Avid Shorty Ultimate Cantis, Dugasts, Sram RED, FSA K-Force Light bars and seatpost, and a Lightning crank set.

-USofChay
Last edited by USofChay on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Another English build. YES.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

drchull

by drchull

I don't want to seem like I am slamming the brand here but my Lightning cranks lasted 1 crash before snapping. Not really what I would look for in a cyclocross crank. Admittedly, it was a nasty crash on pavement in a crit but a few days later i was picking carbon out of my ankle and riding home one legged. I really thing the design where they take a carbon tube and bend it (which is what it looks like to me though I may be wrong) as opposed to casting a solid crank and inserting the axel into it just isn't as solid. That being said I was very happy with the lightning crank till it snapped.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

THM Claviculas have been proven for CX, that's another option!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Sounds like a great build! Cx-season is getting closer!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Are you and Rob sticking with his signature seatstays, or are you going with something beefier to account for cantilever brakes?

USofChay

by USofChay

I got the first draft of the geometry today. I'll post a more finalized draft in a few days.

Rob and I have not talked about how he is going to do the seat stays yet, Ted. I think we will eventually, but I have a tremendous amount of faith in him as a builder and I think he has a much better idea than me of how the tubes will react to braking (hopefully not "breaking") forces.

-USofChay

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Cool! I'm curious to see what he comes up with. I like the svelte stays for the road but wonder about them for 'cross... mainly because the tubes are so small, I wonder if the cantilevers will cause flex under hard braking.

USofChay

by USofChay

You're right, it is one of the best aesthetic elements of his previous builds. I sort of hope that he can do the same thing in a heavier gauge tube to avoid those problems.

Here is a rough paint design that I put together in PS. I would love any input you guys can give. The red arrow is just to show that I'm doing my name on the TT. The gray is going to be matte black where as the black is going to be shiny.

USofChay

by USofChay

Here's a copy of the updated Geo. I asked for a low BB (70mm bb drop) similar to what's on my roadie. Also: a little bit of room for growth, custom stem.

If anyone's looking for a good fitter in San Francisco, PM me and I'll give you a recommendation.

USofChay

by USofChay

Hi All,

So I'm finally able to show the goods. Couldn't be more happier with how this build is progressing. I believe that one of Rob's strength's is his awesome communication, so instead of paraphrasing, I am going to paste in am excerpt his last email:

Hi Arden,

Your frame is all tacked together; here are a couple of shots with it just
pulled out the jig - I have the BB area brazed up with the rest to go... I'm really pleased with how the rear end has come together - Deda s-bend chainstays, tapered seatstays with a slight curve, topped by an oversize
wishbone to give a solid mounting point for the rear brake.

More soon!

Rob.

The oversized wishbone addresses the concerns that Ted brought up beautifully, check out the wishbone detail shot!

-USofChay

xcforme

by xcforme

Looks sweet!

Any idea of what the frame is going to weigh? :)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Awesome!

USofChay

by USofChay

xcforme wrote:Looks sweet!

Any idea of what the frame is going to weigh? :)

I haven't asked Rob about the weight, as it wasn't a big priority for me. I think 1400 g would be a reasonable guess, as he often build road frames in the 1100 g range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcforme

by xcforme

WOW!! That's lighter than many carbon CX frames! If only i had the $$$ for a bike like that :thumbup: