Santa Cruz Superlight- New UPDATES

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi everyone,

Like many I have been watching WW for a while without contributing much... I have just bought my first new frame ever (very exciting) and thought it might be nice to share :D

My goal for building this bike was to have one bike only, that was completely fuss free, easy to maintain and clean, and confidence inspiring both up and down the hill. My day to day rides are rocky and rooty XC on the trails of South Wales so stiffness, reliability and performance were key.

I may race occasionally but would class myself as more of what is called here as a "hobbyist". I am a student so was on quite a budget and the components have mainly been slowly collected over the last few years.... I also have a liking for light weight which is why I am here :D

She is a touch over 23lbs (weighed at my LBS) at the moment so I am looking for advice on cutting the weight without sacrificing function. Also, I have never really felt that any of the bikes I have owned have been particularly aesthetically coordinated so any fashionweenie advice is also much appreciated.

She went from this:

To this:

Build list (weights in bold are verified, weights in normal font are estimated):

Frame;; Santa Cruz Superlight w/ Fox Float R 2500
Crank Arms; XTR M960 w/ Ti pinch bolts 526
Bottom Bracket; XT 105
Chainrings; Middleburn Hardcoat 136
Chainring Bolts; Alu outer, Ti granny 17
Chain; KMC X9 SL 246
Rear mech; Sram X.0 w/ Alu cage bolts, Ti cable bolt 196
Front mech; Shimano XTR M-970 w/ Ti/ Alu bolts 125
Brakes; Hope Mono Mini w/ Ti caliper and rotor bolts, alu lever bolts, alu lever pivot bolts, KCNC and Ashima rotors, Fibre Lyte carbon reservoir caps 674
Shifters; Sram X.0 gripshift (w/ Transfil Black Snake inner cables) 198
Cassette; Shimano Dura-Ace 12-28 179
Cables; Shimano XTR SP41 (33g per meter) 55
Wheels; Prolite Allein 1600
Tyres; Maxxis Rendez 2.1 936
Inner tubes; Conti Supersonic 193
Headset Cane Creek S8 w/ Fibre Lyte top cap and alu bolt 120
Spacers; Carbon (40mm) 16
Forks; Fox Float RL w/ starnut 1615
Stem; KCNC Flyride 110mm 128
Bars; FSA K-Force Flat 128
Seatpost KCNC SC Pro Layback, 27.2, w/ USE shim to 30.9 197
Grips; Titec Pork Rinds 16
Seat QR; Mt Zoom w/ Ti bolt 11
Wheel skewer; Pro-Lite 113
Saddle; Selle Italia SLR 145
Pedals Look Keo Classic 258

The favourite bike I have owned at any one time was always the bike I could just pick up and ride without having to give a second thought for maintenance or set up. I think I have achieved this in a reasonably light package so am pretty happy. Comments and advice more than welcome! :beerchug:

Dan

P.S. No stupid comments about position or fitting- the pics were taken as soon as I built her up so saddle and bar position will most likely change. Also the stem is not 2 feet long, I am just a poor photographer and got a funny angle :oops:
Last edited by DanW on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Some updates!

Brakes: Formula R1- Seem very powerful and look great. Very excited to get some more time on these.
Wheels: Stans Alpine/ CX-Ray/ Hope Pro II Evo- Best balance of everything this build is about, weight, reliability, function. Super excited about these too.
Forks: Fox FIT F100 RLC- Had a quick ride today and they feel very well controlled and a massive improvement. Pretty Impressive weight too.
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece- No creaking like the shimmed KCNC before and love the curved design
Wheel QR: KCNC- Can see what the hype is all about, gorgeous.
Bolts- Got rid of the blue Alu and Ti for black and raw. Preferring the more understated look.

10.05 kg/ 22.15lbs. I'll be very happy to be under 10kg

Frame;; Santa Cruz Superlight w/ Fox Float R 2500
Crank Arms; XTR M960 w/ Ti pinch bolts 526
Bottom Bracket; XT 105
Chainrings; Middleburn Hardcoat 136
Chainring Bolts; Alu outer, Ti granny 17
Chain; KMC X9 SL 246
Rear mech; Sram X.0 w/ Alu cage bolts, Ti cable bolt 196
Front mech; Shimano XTR M-970 w/ Ti/ Alu bolts 125
Brakes; Formula R1 w/ Ti caliper, lever and rotor bolts, KCNC rotors 570
Shifters; Sram X.0 gripshift (w/ Transfil Black Snake inner cables) 198
Cassette; Shimano Dura-Ace 12-28 179
Cables; Shimano XTR SP41 (33g per meter) 55
Wheels; Stans Alpine/ Hope Pro II Evo/ CX-Ray 1473
Tyres; Maxxis Rendez 2.1 936
Inner tubes; Conti Supersonic 193
Headset Cane Creek S8 w/ Fibre Lyte top cap and alu bolt 120
Spacers; Carbon (40mm) 16
Forks; Fox FIT F100 RLC QR15 (uncut weight) 1471+77
Stem; KCNC Flyride 110mm 128
Bars; FSA K-Force Flat 128
Seatpost Thomson Masterpiece w/ Ti bolts and barrel nuts 176
Grips; Titec Pork Rinds 16
Seat QR; KCNC w/ Ti bolt 12
Wheel skewer; KCNC Ti 23
Saddle; Selle Italia SLR 145
Pedals Look Keo Classic 258

Westifer12

by Westifer12

Good looking bike! Have you cut down the post to the min. insertion you need?
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

Westifer12

by Westifer12

Do you seriously ride those pedals off road?
2011 Trek Paragon 29er | Reba XX 120mm Fork | XX Drivetrain | 160mm White/Carbon Exiler CR Brakes | Thomson 90mm Stem & Post | Easton Monkey Lite Bar | X.9 Hubs to DT Swiss X470's | Schwalbe Rocket Rons

Doolop

by Doolop

Westifer12 wrote:Do you seriously ride those pedals off road?

I've done it, its not too bad.

schmiken

by schmiken

You could save some weight by going onto Rocket Rons and going tubeless. Eggbeaters would also save some weight.

Ghastly

by Ghastly

nice bike! If you cut off the excess steerer, you'll be under 10kg!

DanW

by DanW

Thanks for all the comments- she is slowly getting there! I've always struggled to get the aethetics of my previous bikes balanced but am fairly happy now.

It may already be under 10kg as the total weight was before I cut the steerer at all. A bit more cutting is on the agenda when I have my position dialled.

As for the post, it is in a tiny bit further than the min. insertion point so not really worth cutting.

I can't see what is wrong with the pedals. I can clip in fine and they feel very solid. I have been using them for over 6 months and they seem abolutely fine. They have developed the tiniest amount of play but nothing I didn't get using Time ATTACS (my favourite MTB pedal to date). The reason I am using them is for the greater control you have with the rotation and q-factor of the cleats compared to MTB cleats. Overall, it's the best solution for my knees to help get the correct fit so I am happy.

What can I change and not sacrifice function?
Cranks? There are many lighter
BB? Aim to change to an ACROS or maybe KCNC when the current one dies which will save a few g's (20g's?)
Chainrings. Ditch a ring and go double 50-70g saved
Tyres and Tubes. I will probably give Schwalbe Dirty Dan and Rocket Ron a go Tubeless when the current Maxxis wear out. 100-150g's saved?
Headset. Is there any thing light that is truely fit and forget? ACROS again maybe? 20g max saved?
Stem. KCNC Sc Wing Ti when I settle on the length. ~25g's saved
Bars? I don't think there is much cost effective weight to be saved here.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks again! DanW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com