Colnago C59 - Special Order Gloss Black - Updated Page 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

duz10s

by duz10s

majklnajt wrote:Dude, where is the crank? ;)

just for you my man

2015 RCA with Di2

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Good!
I was afraid that you got some non-campy crank! ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Please, do not make your first ride with this beauty on gatorskins.
Put some veloflex or vittoria on in order to enjoy your bike 100%.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

kgt wrote:Please, do not make your first ride with this beauty on gatorskins.
Put some veloflex or vittoria on in order to enjoy your bike 100%.

Indeed! Riding this with gatorskins is a bit like ordering the most exquisite wagyu tenderloin and then having it served well done (sorry about the beef joke, there've been too many of those already, i know :wink: )

Blackwidow

by Blackwidow

I can't believe this! I've been talking about this frame for months on this forum, ordered mine back in April, have all my gear sitting waiting to build it up, and YOU get in before me! DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! :evil:

Just kidding. Sort of.

We're going to have twins! :beerchug:
"24/7 Im always in spandex, cut through the wind, cos Im aero-dy-na-mic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

Blackwidow

by Blackwidow

Oh, and sorry to do this, but have to mention the Gatorskins. Obviously they are not puncture proof - they are puncture resistant - as are many good quality tubular tyres. If you flat a Gatorskin tubular 100km from home, you still need a spare to make it home. So may as well go for a tyre that gives the ride quality you deserve, and just carry a spare...just a thought. Then again I'll be running Veloflex, so if you go with Contis on yours thats fine by me ;)

Congrats by the way, you'll love the Campag gear - I recently switched from Shimano, which is great in its own way - and I'm over the moon with Chorus, can't wait to see what the Super Record gear will be like on my C59 :thumbup:
"24/7 Im always in spandex, cut through the wind, cos Im aero-dy-na-mic"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

Chip 'oyler

by Chip 'oyler

Great bike let down (pardon the pun) by the tyre choice.

Go for some Schwalble Ultremo's - in my opinion a great rolling, grippy tyre with good puncture resistance.
The blog for Viner owners and lovers everywhere http://vineristi.wordpress.com

Smera

by Smera

Is this a Record or Super Record cranckset ?

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

Superb build list (save the tires of course). Just curious though why you expect a "huge" step up in quality?

duz10s

by duz10s

Smera wrote:Is this a Record or Super Record cranckset ?

Super Record

Huge step up because I have always wanted a euro built bike and always been a huge fan of Colnago's, owned one in my teen years, and found a way to build it up saving plenty money ordering it all online :D
2015 RCA with Di2

duz10s

by duz10s

ok experts if you are so convinced Gatorskins should not be put on this build, instead of bagging it maybe make some suggestions, I know no tyres are complete puncture proof however my experience with Gatorskins on my clinchers I ride now is awesome, not one puncture in 14 months.

what is the best options for me should I consider another tubular tyre that gives great roll, has good puncture resistance and looks good????
2015 RCA with Di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

My build was very close to yours, and I also have the Bora Ultra Twos and decided upon Continental Competitions for my first foray into the Tubular experience. I chose them because around where I ride a lot of people seem to like them and they just seemed like they'd be more durable to me, than say the Vittorias (I used the Vittoria EVO CX clinchers a lot before switching to Continental 4000s and definitely flatted or cut the Vittorias way more frequently than the 4000s). Anyway, at around 1300 miles, I got my first flat on the Contis. It was on the rear and was the result of something finally getting in the one and only little cut that I received early on. The tire was getting to the point of replacement anyway and I am not unhappy about the wear I received. I weigh close to 200lbs. The front is still fine and I'm going to use as a spare.

But on this site, there seems to be a lot of hate for the Conti Comps, at least when compared to the likes of say a Veloflex Carbon for example. So... today I just finished glueing up my first set of Veloflex Carbons on my Boras and am anxious to try them out this weekend. I'll keep track of the mileage, flats, etc. If I seem to get flats a lot more readily then I'd be very inclined to go back to the Competitions because they seemed fine to me, although admittedly my experience riding tubulars is pretty limited so far. Barring any freak punctures early on (they can happen to any tire), I'll keep track of the mileage on the Veloflex to see how they wear compared to the Contis.

I might try something from Vitorria next time in a slightly wider width next time (23-24mm), then decide on a favorite after that.

One things for sure, you can always change your tires down the road, so it's not the end of the world if you choose something durable for peace of mind while you enjoy your new ride. Then, down the road, you'll have something to look forward to in trying a really nice tire just for comparison sake and be able to decide for yourself which you prefer. Have fun.

Like I said before... looking forward to the finished build. I am excited for you.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

duz10s

by duz10s

Calnago wrote:My build was very close to yours, and I also have the Bora Ultra Twos and decided upon Continental Competitions for my first foray into the Tubular experience. I chose them because around where I ride a lot of people seem to like them and they just seemed like they'd be more durable to me, than say the Vittorias (I used the Vittoria EVO CX clinchers a lot before switching to Continental 4000s and definitely flatted or cut the Vittorias way more frequently than the 4000s). Anyway, at around 1300 miles, I got my first flat on the Contis. It was on the rear and was the result of something finally getting in the one and only little cut that I received early on. The tire was getting to the point of replacement anyway and I am not unhappy about the wear I received. I weigh close to 200lbs. The front is still fine and I'm going to use as a spare.

But on this site, there seems to be a lot of hate for the Conti Comps, at least when compared to the likes of say a Veloflex Carbon for example. So... today I just finished glueing up my first set of Veloflex Carbons on my Boras and am anxious to try them out this weekend. I'll keep track of the mileage, flats, etc. If I seem to get flats a lot more readily then I'd be very inclined to go back to the Competitions because they seemed fine to me, although admittedly my experience riding tubulars is pretty limited so far. Barring any freak punctures early on (they can happen to any tire), I'll keep track of the mileage on the Veloflex to see how they wear compared to the Contis.

I might try something from Vitorria next time in a slightly wider width next time (23-24mm), then decide on a favorite after that.

One things for sure, you can always change your tires down the road, so it's not the end of the world if you choose something durable for peace of mind while you enjoy your new ride. Then, down the road, you'll have something to look forward to in trying a really nice tire just for comparison sake and be able to decide for yourself which you prefer. Have fun.

Like I said before... looking forward to the finished build. I am excited for you.

Calnago, really love your build look at plenty pics of yours well done

Yes so far the 2 tubulars I am considering are the ones you have mentioned and thanks for the advice and not just bagging my choices so far, the Conti's seem weight wise a lot less and seem a very popular tyre both for the pro's and also general riders
2015 RCA with Di2

duz10s

by duz10s

Please see updated build list with

Conti Competition 700c x 22 Tubulars :)
2015 RCA with Di2

Smera

by Smera

duz10s wrote:
Smera wrote:Is this a Record or Super Record cranckset ?

Super Record

Huge step up because I have always wanted a euro built bike and always been a huge fan of Colnago's, owned one in my teen years, and found a way to build it up saving plenty money ordering it all online :D

Congratulations !

I'm sure your bike will be perfect. Why not choose the cranckset with titanium parts and red logos ? Don't you think it would be a great match for the rest of the parts ?

By the way, I'm also in the right path regarding the assembly of mine. Take a look here. http://www.pbase.com/smera/colnago_c59_mtbk

All the luck and best regards.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com