Introducing / hi-end aluminium vs entry level carbon

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SpecCarbon

by SpecCarbon

20200221_152624.jpg
Hello, I'm new on the forum so I introduce myself: I'm from Portugal and I'm 37 years old, and started last year on road bike...
I currently have Btwin ultra AF 920, aluminium frame, ultrega r8000 and Prime Carbon 38mm with tubless tires, size XL.
I need some advice on choosing new bike...
The idea is to upgrade the frame for something more stiff and light being the stiffness more important for better use of my pedal power.

The frameset only are expensive so I will buy new bike with 105 shimano and swap the groupset, brakes and the wheels, and sell my btwin.

I'm between the Cannondale Caad 13, 2019 model (shimano 105, rim brake, size 58) or Focus Izalco Race 9.7 2020 (rim brake, shimano 105, size 60) ...
The price's are about the same (both with very GOOD discount).

My main doubt is the diference on riding caad and izalco race, carbon vs aluminium... all review i saw mention the caad 13 is the best of the best (Ok some will say the caad 12 is better) aluminium bike and better than entry level carbon...
Is there anyone that has ridden both bikes?

The Caad 13 takes advantage in braking, it has direct mount front and rear and better tire clearence.
The Focus wins in the weight but has less tire clearence.
The caad13 is new frame the focus is older frame...
Thank you for your advices!
Attachments
347326-00-d-740641.jpg
Cannondale_CAAD13_105_black_pearl[640x430].jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

You won't go wrong with either option. Both frames you will be able to fit? What type of riding do you usually do?
I honestly think if fit is not a factor, it comes down to personal preference. I would say CAAD13, but I am partial as I ride a caad12 and like the added benefit of D/M brakes.

SpecCarbon

by SpecCarbon

I'm 1,90m with 0,90m inseam. The Caad 13 geometry is very similar to my current bike, only has more 3mm reach (despite top tube is 2mm shorter) and less 18mm stack. The focus geometry is longer (+20mm reach) and lower (-25mm stack).
I currently ride with -8° 130mm stem, in both cases I can use positive angle stem. On the Caad 13 i could go with 120/130mm and on the focus with 100/110mm...
I currently (before confinement) ride 3 times a week between 1h30m to 3h30m, 40km to 80km +/-...
My current bike as the direct mount/dual pivot brake in the front and it is really good! Even on carbon rim... I'm afraid of down grading with single pivot on the focus...I never ride normal brake road bike so I can't compare if is big or litlle diference...

SpecCarbon

by SpecCarbon

wolfesquire wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:05 pm
You won't go wrong with either option. Both frames you will be able to fit? What type of riding do you usually do?
I honestly think if fit is not a factor, it comes down to personal preference. I would say CAAD13, but I am partial as I ride a caad12 and like the added benefit of D/M brakes.
I forgot to mention, the CAAD 12 was my choice! But I can't get it now on 60cm frame...