Trek 5500 Rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

This is a proper ww project. Love what you're doing here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

A friend of mine is riding the exact same frame, might try to convince him to do the same! :) Or at least let me do it!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

Thanks everyone.

A little update on progress:

I finally got the bottom bracket out and have weighed the frame in its full nude form, weight came in at 1050g!!
Obviously a little weight will be added with the new cable stops, clearcoat and decals, but for a 14yr old frame its pretty good.
The fork is still annoying me, weighing in at 503g, but hey you cant win them all and maybe I will upgrade this in the near future. On the bright side the expander came in at 9g which was a surprise.

Will hopefully pick up some cable stops later today and them i can get on with adding decals and clear-coating.

I have also been working on the seatpost.

Original form.

Out comes the hacksaw, Chop chop

Some work with the dremel, may lay up some additional carbon fibre to give a little extra support.

Still needs work, cutting out more material for the U-bit to sit securely. As you can see I have left part of the aluminium in so as to help spread the load of the U-part and will use part of a cork and some copydex(latex glue) to stop water getting in.

Current weight is a touch over 100g, I was hoping for around 150g complete but its looking like it will come out lighter :D .
I still need to drill the hole for the 'bar' and manufacture the bar and yokes and pick up some ti bolts. I think i will also layup some more CF around the top/where the holes are for the bar, just to make sure.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Woohoo! This is what WW is about!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

Look what I picked up on Friday

Very unexciting, Cable stops courtesy of argos cycles in bristol

Slightly more exciting, new decals. They aren't blue, that's just the backing. Just a white outline of trek so the carbon can be seen through the centre of the text

Got these done in visual impact on bath road in bristol. Very quick service, I only went in for a quote :shock:

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

Just a little update on progress.

The cable stops are now glued to the frame and are drying as I type, I plan to apply the decals and get the clear coating done within the week :D . Then I need to find some brakes, get down the workshop to finish the seatpost parts, Build up the wheels and put it all together. Simples :shock:

I am also currently making a top cap out of some carbon fibre, It was a rushed job, so it may well turn out rubbish but we shall see.

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

A little something from the weekend.

I think I will call it wasserogre.
Yes its light but trust me this thing is UGLY looking, and dont worry btp/tune, I know this looks a bit like your cages but im not planning on selling it and even if I did I wouldn't buy it as it looks like its been made by a child.

Seems to function well enough, I can imagine bottles getting stuck in being more of a problem than bottles falling out. And the best bit... It was virtually free.

If anyone is interested in how I made such a monstrosity it was as follows. I am a mechanical engineer and have studied composites design and manufacture, so I know this isnt pretty, using a mould would have given much better results but the more time I spend making moulds the less time riding.

1. Wrap bottle in clingfilm, glue on bolts in correct position
2. Lay up woven reinforcement in bolt area
3. wrap UD (as I had some for free, woven/1 layer woven probably better) around bottle
4. leave to cure 90%
5. Remove from bottle, peal off clingfilm
6. use dremel to make it look a little less scruffy and fix holes

The 'top-cap' I made the other day in a flurry of "ah i have so much resin left I must make something with it before it sets" Is only 2g so I'm questioning if it will be strong enough. I will see how it works out but currently its finish is poor and roundness is questionable, I may tension the headset with another top-cap, do up the stem then use this to hold it all down after, It could then be used on a ride if the headset ever comes lose whist riding.

And just in case anyone is interested the parts that were removed from the frame all weighed 100g exactly!

KB

by KB

Great work, keep it coming.

BmanX

by BmanX

I know something that will be coming from North America that will be shipping today that will lighten the build a fair bit. Should allow a ~200g drop in weight.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

North America is currently my favourite place!
Things are getting exciting now, the frame is done, I'm now just waiting on the final components.

Here is a teaser.

I have also been down the workshop today and have made the parts for the seatpost, final weight is 142g so a saving of 110g over the original! I hope to get some Ti bolts in the near future which should save a further 8g.

I also just weighed the saddle, 311g :unbelievable: I think I may need to do a sneaky swap at some point.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

You can buy mine Prologo Scratch Nack, 164 grams ;)

craigtheduck

by craigtheduck

You must be a god with the ladies if you can get them to sit on something called scratch nack :wink:

Whist waiting for the post man I have built up a not so weightweenie but very budgetweenie 15.2kg tandem this weekend, a project I have been wanting to do for ages. We went for a ride today and after 5mins i was told "I am never riding a bike again". Lets hope the finished trek changes her mind.

Does anyone want to buy a tandem? I'm only joking I had far to much fun to sell it yet

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Sorry, didnt realize the bike is for your lady!! :mrgreen:

SDP

by SDP

good saddle if your lady likes the JETT is the glamour Aspide TI - about 180gm IIRC ?
one on my wifes bike & she loves it ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

To quote Montey Python: GET ON WITH IT!

We demand opdates and photos 8)
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.