WW Build for L'Eroica - Full Finished pics P4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Some would know from an earlier post that I am building a retro ww bike to ride the L'Eroica in 2013 - the earlier post contains details about the event including a great youtube link
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84744&hilit=l%27eroica" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In summary the conditions of entry are a steel pre-1987 bike, no STI's and no clip-in pedals
After many helpful suggestions from fellow ww's with knowledge of the previous era and a hint of nostalgia in their blood I have begun in earnest by sourcing the gruppo - Campy Super Record - not a single 'set' from a given year but rather assembled collection of mint / NOS components from 1978 to 1984 - the photos say it all
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44948571@N ... 5789/show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I should come clean at this point and declare that I am being very ably assisted in the project by Andy White from Fyxomatosis who was actually the one responsible for finding (and photographing) the gruppo - Andy is passionate about vintage bikes, is very pendantic and takes beautiful photos of his amazing creations - check out the gallery and blog on his website:

http://www.fyxomatosis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this stage the project is based upon a lightweight Italian made bike from the late 1970's with a couple of specific makes/models in mind and final choice really dependant upon what frameset actually comes available in my size in the right condition. I will post about the build as it is aquired / finalised - it won't be quick but will defintely be worth it.
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 am, edited 10 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

KB

by KB

If it's as good as your previous offerings it will be a beauty.

My favourite groupset was always the C-Record with the Delta brakes, but that may have been slightly after what you are putting together.

Looking forward to seeing the end product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Perhaps you should deviate a bit from the the all Campy aproach. For instance, consider use of Binda extra toe straps and Simplex Retrofircition shifters - those were highly authentic and considered top of the line - better than Campy. Although Simplex is not Italian.

SDP

by SDP

i got to agree re Binda straps ( with those little plastic buttons on the end ) & simplex levers ..
its what i started on ..big improvement over the campag levers..

dcj9

by dcj9

Mwaaaaaaa. lovely. nostalgia ain't what it used to be. and even better, you are building it up for a specific purpose 8)

tarz

by tarz

G'day dado,

How's the build coming along?
Andy did an awesome job on the groupset, and the photos are amazing!

Any luck on finding the right frameset?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Hi Tarz
Not yet - been searching everyday but finding the right frame is proving hard and the wait is killing me - especially since for the last 3 months I have been riding my new Ti Baum and loving the ride qualities of the Ti so much compared to carbon - can't wait to ride some classic Italian steel!!.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

tarz

by tarz

I could imagine the ride Dado, I have been thinking for a long time to change from carbon to steel but just haven't.
I wish you luck in your search!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I don't know what size you need, but there are some beautiful old steel Colnago framesets on ebay.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Yes there are a few Colnagos are around at present - unfortunately they are a little too mainstream and don't excite me that much - I have set my heart on either De Rosa or Cinelli pre 1978 when both companies were still mainly building smaller quantities for the racing community and the craftsmanship was beautiful to behold. It will be worth the wait!

KB

by KB

De Rosa and Cinelli are a good choice. Another to consider is Faliero Masi under the MASI marque. He sold the rights to his name in the 80's, but from the 50's onwards he was one of the go-to's for top end frames. He built for Van Looy, Merckx and Simpson among others. His workshop was under the Vigorelli track in Milan.

Personally, I don't have any wish for the 60's and 70's frames, but must admit I like to see something like this put together. Hope you find the right frame.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Very excited to see this project progress.

Do keep us updated.
:thumbup:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

tarz

by tarz

Good choice with the De Rosa or Cinelli, if you search the international eBay and rummage through some blogs you can find a few diamonds.

You've worked with andy already so I'm assuming your using fxyo to help, and maybe have a look at Shifter Bikes http://www.shifterbikes.com/ as well as they do a lot of those old school builds, geared and fixed.

Keep us posted Dado!

dallaghan

by dallaghan

This sounds really interesting - looking forward to seeing some drilled out components 70's/80's style!
Many Thanks

Martin Dallaghan

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

A frame at last!!!!
Finally found the frame I want that fits (well almost - actually a 57 x 57cm when I would ideally use a 56 x 56cm but given the scarcity of these frames I can live with it) - after searching worldwide EBay every day (you would not believe how many vintage bikes get posted every day) and searching by word of mouth I have finally located a 1972 Cinelli Speciale Corsa frame. It has been repainted in its lifetime (hence the Chrome has disappeared) and had slightly inaccurate decals applied but as I am planning a complete restoration of the frame with rechroming so they are minor issues - main thing is that it is straight, no dings and only very minor rust on the forks.
The significance of the frame is that it is a pre 1978 Cinelli which was the year Cino Cinelli sold part of the business to the Columbo family (of Columbus tubing fame) - which is when the now famouse winged 'C' Cinelli logo was introduced, mass production techniques were phased in and (in the eyes of many) quality dived and craftsmanship disappeared.
Have located some acurate replacement decals so now just need to decide on the (authentic range) colour!
More as things come together!

Last edited by dadoflam08 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com