Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

THUNDERHORSE wrote:Why did UK riders ride fixed in winter?

I think the idea behind it was that it made riders more supple, i.e., you had to pedal fast on the flat, but the gearing was a bit high for tackling hills, therefore providing strength. I never subscribed to that view myself.

If you want a nice steel fixie, Dave Yates still builds exclusively in steel and there are a few others as well.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Can't lie.

Been thinking of a stainless bike for a little while now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JWolf

by JWolf

Love steel bikes. Thinking of starting a project by finding a complete Camy 90's record set - pre carbon era, with ergo shifters, and building them on a Colnago Master or Cinelli SuperCorsa. Bike will not be light by modern standards, but I think it would be beautiful.

mm1

by mm1

KB wrote:

I think the idea behind it was that it made riders more supple, i.e., you had to pedal fast on the flat, but the gearing was a bit high for tackling hills, therefore providing strength. I never subscribed to that view myself.

Probably simpler than that, before the rise in mass car ownership and growth of continental style mass start racing starting in the 1950's most club riders rode the same bike to work, on the track and in TTs. I once heard Hugh Porter (4 times pro-pursuit workd champion and current BBC commentator) say that one shouldn't ride fixed, but should ride a single speed freewheel unless training round Heathrow (i.e. somewhere pan flat).

Werdna

by Werdna

THUNDERHORSE wrote:From what I can see: Its a fixed with carbon rims, Spare tubby under the seat, levers & hood set but just a front brake, and computer...

I'm pretty sure the Campagnolo Pista wheelset features aluminum rims, hence the ~1900g weight.

KB

by KB

mm1 wrote:

Probably simpler than that, before the rise in mass car ownership and growth of continental style mass start racing starting in the 1950's most club riders rode the same bike to work, on the track and in TTs.[/quote]
I joined a club in the late 60's. So, my comments post date the 50's and I remember seeing riders up to the 80's riding fixed even though they all had geared race bikes that they put away for the winter. There was a long discourse on riding fixed on Veloriders a few years ago, so some people still argued for it!

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

Thank you all. It is cool to learn so much from one site and have it applicable to your everyday.
On Plastic Existence

mickey
in the industry

by mickey

I love selling the bikes we make, obviously but there are so many cool options for steel right now with some young guns just killing it!
I have a semi-chubby for a bike from this dude who builds bikes in Maine under the Dornbox(http://www.dornboxbikes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) name
He builds good shit and sells bikes with wicked cool paint much cheaper than he should.
Give that dude a tip if you buy one of his bikes- at that pricing he's giving you a bike for free!

Also- Mike Zacanato is doing tig work now, and damn well to boot. Zank knows his shit! He likes lower, slacker and longer compared to me but a double oversized or Max-mix frame from him should be on anybodies list, especially if you want something capital-S stable. He makes some sweet lugged steel forks- I'm partial to the straight bladed stuff personally.

There are so many options for tig steel bikes here in New England these days. It's hard to build a bad one, go with your heart and buy as local as possible.

We do have 2 pretty sweet models(although I never make 2 bikes exactly the same) that are conceived to do what you want.
I try to use downtube shifter bosses on all of our bikes. Having the ability to throw a pair of cheap shifters on a bike let's you have a lot more bikes!

My personal version of a pretty lightweight but stiff and durable steel bike looks like this-

Schweet looking steel fork made with MTB blades for plenty of strength, Columbus MAX tubes mixed in with Spirit, parts from the parts bin(a nice parts bin) really strong brakes with lots of clearance(just barely wedge in some fenders or 34c cx tires) and a really fast set of durable wheels.
Last time I weighed it was floating around 18 pounds. DT shifters save SO MUCH weight.

It's a pretty strong and confidence inspiring bike...
I'm that skinny guy who runs Spooky Bikes
spookybikes.tumblr.com
facebook.com/spookybikes
twitter.com/spookybikes

roelez

by roelez

here's my steel bikes collection :)

there's a few changes on this one but i haven't shoot a single picture ;( , i'll post the update later

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Woot Spooky!
That Dornbox suggestion is a really good find, his paint is HOT.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Those lo-pro bikes are soooo cool, especially the Merckx one. I am thinking of getting one myself as a second bike.

@roelez: can you use a lo-pro for group rides, or is it just suited for time trialing?

roelez

by roelez

SWijland wrote:Those lo-pro bikes are soooo cool, especially the Merckx one. I am thinking of getting one myself as a second bike.

@roelez: can you use a lo-pro for group rides, or is it just suited for time trialing?

Hey i know you :D bought my self few frames last year from you via ebay last year :)

well honestly i never ride my rossin since i build it with all nos component and consider for keeping it as my private collection , but i often ride my merckx with group and its feels great !

ckyle

by ckyle

RollingGoat wrote:
ckyle wrote:Sorta cross-post from above. Nate Zukas custom frame.

Still need to do some adjusting to the bars and cut down the steerer tube. If the rain will ever stop I can ride....

Specs:
Lugged steel frame from Nate Zukas, True temper S3 top and downtube, OX Plat. headtube, Columbus chainstays, Aircraft 4130 seatstays and seat tube.
Chris King headset
Nokon black/gold brake/shift cables, internally routed
TRP R970SL JPS Limited Edition brakes
Campy Record
ENVE bars, 1.0 fork and 3.4 Smart tubulars laced to Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs

Weight 15lbs 10oz with heavy Schwalbe 300+g tubulars

I'm actually about to put down a deposit on a Zukas. If it ever stops raining is there a chance of a ride report?

Ride report: Awesome. I've done two 35 mile rides and a 75 mile ride. The frame is smooth and stable, absorbs road noise nicely. The ENVE wheelset is amazing, spins up very fast and is very stable. The last ride had nothing but headwind and crosswind and the bike was very stable. I'm very pleased with this build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Thought you might find this Pinarello Dyna interesting. The paint is in pretty bad condition, but what is really interesting about this frame is the weight: just 1695 grams for a 57 cm (C-C). Even by todays standards that is really light for a steel frame. It is built using Dedacciai 18MCDV6HT tubing.
Attachments
26.jpg