Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sakic wrote:alienator, it is 61 * 59cm. I have the fsa post with lots of setback as it's just small by around 1cm in the TT.

I am around 195cm tall. Cranks are 180mm & stem 140mm.

EDIT: I think the older steel bikes tend to put you more over the bars? The set back gets the postion better due to the seat tube angle.

How much setback does that post have? What's the diameter?

sakic

by sakic

it's dia = 27.2 and I belive the setback was something around 22mm.

I also have the Campagnolo record carbon post + arione and with the saddle just a tiny bit further back on the rails there is not much difference than this FSA post.

The record and Arione set-up does flex a bit more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hyde

by Hyde

mises wrote:I've decided to get a steel frame made for vacation and other non-goal oriented use so I am curious what people's steel bikes are like. What components are on it, what you would change, like or dislike?

I am thinking of going with downtube shifters and a steel fork in one version of it.

I built up a Pinarello Montello from the mid 80's with Downtube friction shifters & vista wheels. Took it out on a 65 mile group ride this weekend, climbed mulholland, rode great! It's a lot of fun to roll with the carbon crowd on the only steel bike 8) The bike rides like a champ, weight is the only real complaint but doesn't really make that much of a difference. The only thing I'd like to change at this point are the front deraileur for a vintage piece & the rear cassette which is a shimano budget steel 8 speed for somehing a little lighter.
This is her before the Real bars & the Storika saddle arrived . Image

MikesBike

by MikesBike

This is my Giro d'Italia pink Gios, the sweetest ride ever.
Campagnolo Chorus/Centaur 10 speed at with new wheels (not on picture) chorus hubs and open pro rims

I also own an old steel Koga Miyata which is in use as my commuting bike

Müsing

by Müsing

I have one, too :D
Attachments
Berg klein.jpg

danjammin

by danjammin

I've been watching this thread grow to 8 pages without seeing any bikes with mudguards - is anyone here from England/Belgium/anywhere in Northern Europe?

I also ride a steel bike - in the winter - but don't think I have any photos of it. I suppose I would only take a picture of the 'best bike', the new carbon beauty with shiny gruppo. No-one rides their steel bikes in the rain?

Hyde

by Hyde

THat's the main reason I built mine up. I knew thew rainy season was at hand & I wanted something I could put on the road for under a $1000. THe dilema now is that it is such a nice ride that I don't want to ride it in the rain either :lol: I guess it only rains a few days anyway :wink: here in Southern California Mudgaurds? Aren't those for mountain bikes? :shock:

onyourleft

by onyourleft

It can be fun riding in the rain on a warm summer day. Fenders or steel frame or not though, I try to avoid rain rides b/c I hate the cleaning & maintenance after. Makes no sense to chew up a Chorus/Record level group and wheels with road sludge.

I have an alu Schwinn SuperSport frame that I'll eventually build up with low-end Shimano for rain/beater duties. I'd like to put on a Mirage flat-bar group if I can find it cheap enough.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

Müsing

by Müsing

danjammin wrote:I've been watching this thread grow to 8 pages without seeing any bikes with mudguards - is anyone here from England/Belgium/anywhere in Northern Europe?

I also ride a steel bike - in the winter - but don't think I have any photos of it. I suppose I would only take a picture of the 'best bike', the new carbon beauty with shiny gruppo. No-one rides their steel bikes in the rain?

well Germany is pretty much in the northern part of Europe I guess.

I did not buy that frame for the bad weather. And I do not need a carbon frame to have a beautiful bike - mine is made of steel and it is real and pretty :D

wogamax

by wogamax

I swapped the carbon into the trainer last night, finally commissioning the 853 steel for winter duty now that the roads are keeping their salt. Go figure. I could probably leave the carbon frame soaking on a beach and yet I (and probably others, here...admit it) tuck the dainty trophy away and reach for ferris material.

Its twisted, man. Twisted.

Mr. Mer

by Mr. Mer

I will try and get a pic of my trusty Pinarello Sestriere up which is specially adapted for mudguards...

It is just coming up to 17,000 miles..... NOT kms and going strong... 8)

Trained on, and raced...without the guards of course :wink:
mmm......shiny

rapidcarbon

by rapidcarbon

Rippin wrote:Definitely not lightweight, but what a beauty...

yup, mine is over 17lbs but I love it

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=267450

and my friend has one too

Last edited by rapidcarbon on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rippin

by Rippin

Nice DeRosa build there, rapidcarbon :wink:

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

danjammin wrote:I've been watching this thread grow to 8 pages without seeing any bikes with mudguards - is anyone here from England/Belgium/anywhere in Northern Europe?

Here's one. 10.4kg of rolling fury.

Condor 531 frame from 70s or early 80s I think. Unfortunately I had to use shimaNO long reach calipers to accomodate the 27" wheel clearance but it made mudguards less of a hassle.

Have had the 44x18 up to 55kph (over 150rpm) on the old commuting route drafting trucks.

Narrowly beat my brothers ss in the weight stakes - had to add tyre strips to take the heaviest crown (anti weenism).
Attachments
ss 002.jpg

onyourleft

by onyourleft

More acciaio please!
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com