Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

sex

secularist

by secularist

Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel representin!!!

as much as I drool over all the cool carbon framesets, I take my baby out and let the steel fork (!!!) sing over the pavement in perfect harmony with the frame and it's just the right thing for me.

maybe someday I'll get a Scott CR1, but for now I'm happy with a 19lb steel couch.
I miss my IndyFab Crown Jewel...

onyourleft

by onyourleft

What do you mean, "still have" a steel bike?? :P :D Darned RIGHT I do!

Mine is an '03 Raleigh Professional:

~ Bar Tape: Stella Azzurra Tecno Spugna #3, Sunflower Yellow
~ BB: Token TK-872-SC, 108mm x Eng.
~ Bottle Cage: n/a (use Camelbaks), Ti bolts
~ Brakes: '03 Centaur
~ Cables: Campagnolo
~ Cassette: Veloce 12-23 10v, w. PedalSoft Cirque lockring
~ Chain: Record Ultra 10
~ Chainrings: FSA Pro Road, 52/38
~ Computer: Cateye Micro Wireless, Model CC-MC100W
~ Crankset: FSA Team Pro Issue, 175mm
~ Fork: Columbus Muscle, 45 deg. carbon monocoque, 1 1/8", 15mm carbon spacer
~ Frame Geometry: 56.13cm Top Tube, 40.39cm Chainstay, 98.81cm Wheelbase, 73.0d Head Tube Angle, 73.0d Seat Tube Angle, 81.03cm Stand Over.
~ Front Derailleur: '03 Chorus, braze-on
~ Handlebar: ITM The Bar 26.0, 46 o-o
~ Headset: Columbus/FSA Intellaset Pro w. Stainless Steel bearings
~ Pedals: Time RXE
~ Paint: Heritage Champagne/Black
~ Rear Derailleur: '03 Chorus short cage, 10v, w. Fiberlyte carbon backplate
~ Rim Tape: Velox, trimmed to cover spoke & valve holes only
~ Saddle: Brooks Swift
~ Seat Clamp: OEM
~ Seatpost: Kalloy Guizzo Carbon, 27.2 x 200mm.
~ Shifters/Brake Levers: '05 Chorus Ergo
~ Skewers: '02 Record
~ Stem: Oval Concepts R700, 110mm/84d
~ Tires: Vredestein Fortezza Road 23c rear, Fortezza Pro 21c front
~ Tube: Specialized Turbo Road LVS 18/25, butyl, 48mm valve
~ Tubing: Columbus Zona Megatube steel
~ Wheels: '03 Zonda G3 rear, '02 Bora front

Weight as listed: 18.8 lbs.

Frame-wise, this thing is stiff! I'm 5' 11.5" and 195 lb. range. Columbus Muscle seat stays would tame the sometimes "too stiff" rear end. It would fit me better with about 7 mm. added to the TT length with a 110mm stem. Maybe a different paint scheme some day.

Component-wise, eventually I'm changing calipers, skewers, crankset, pedals, cassette, and saddle.

* Will update specs and pix as they change. This pic does not show new Easton bar & Ritchey stem, shorter steerer tube, Record Ultra Narrow chain, Zonda rear wheel, and mounted tubulars.

Attachments
8-18-05 010.jpg
Last edited by onyourleft on Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:49 am, edited 22 times in total.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

As the following pic shows.......alu all the way :lol:
Attachments
p24.jpg
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

Figue

by Figue

Hello,

Here is mine

It is a CUSTOM 650 deda SAT 14.5.
Attachments
COPY.jpg
Please, leave your car at home every time it's possible.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

KB wrote:Caygill Ultra Foco with Lightweight wheels, love it and it's very comfortable. Approx 6.6 - 6.7 kg. Ialso have two bikes with Reynolds 853, but the Ultra Foco's better.

:shock: this is one stunning machine :shock:

KB

by KB

Rich_W wrote:
KB wrote:Caygill Ultra Foco with Lightweight wheels, love it and it's very comfortable. Approx 6.6 - 6.7 kg. Ialso have two bikes with Reynolds 853, but the Ultra Foco's better.

:shock: this is one stunning machine :shock:
Thanks. I have a Storck Scenario 0.9 that's bang on 6kg, but I like the Caygill better.

butted spoke

by butted spoke

mises wrote:I've decided to get a steel frame made for vacation and other non-goal oriented use so I am curious what people's steel bikes are like. What components are on it, what you would change, like or dislike?

I am thinking of going with downtube shifters and a steel fork in one version of it.

Seeing that you are curious, I'll show you mine. (Any excuse!)

Fillet brazed frame, custom geometry to my own spec. 1.69kg (Approx. size 55cm)
ITM Millenium 1" fork 400g
Dura Ace 9spd, Cinelli Eubios, ITM Millenium stem, SLR/Carbon Alien, Keo pedals, Open Pro rims 32h 3X with DT Revs, Conti GP 3000 + Supersonic, FRM QRs.
Total weight currently 8.07kg / 17.8 lbs.
There's nothing really about the frame that I would change, since I put a lot of thought into the design in the light of many years experience of cycling. But, if I did want anything changed, it would be an option.
I am constantly upgrading components to reduce weight and increase performance, though I do have an underlying rule of not compromising it's rideability ie functioning and comfort.
Down tube levers are certainly an option to simplify a bike and reduce weight, though it may limit your choice of more up to date components.
Nothing rides quite like a good steel fork, but there is a large weight penalty.
Attachments
Argos 853 Custom 1.JPG

martin

by martin

:shock: Eek, what's the length of that front tire's valve? :shock:
i'm old enough to still remember the time when the frame had to fit and one didn't need to push the saddle to the rear end and mount a stem as long as a grown man's arm. Nice bike, otherwise :) i like the paintjob! but just one bottlecage?

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

KB

by KB

martin wrote:

:shock: Eek, what's the length of that front tire's valve? :shock:
i'm old enough to still remember the time when the frame had to fit and one didn't need to push the saddle to the rear end and mount a stem as long as a grown man's arm. Nice bike, otherwise :) i like the paintjob! but just one bottlecage?
Martin
The frame does fit, I've actually changed the stem to a 12cm, it was a bit stretched. The top tube is quite short, but I prefer it that way. The saddle is not that far back; I've seen them much further. One bottle cage on the bike, but it has one that's not used on the seat tube. The valve came from my LBS, the wheels of course from our hosts.

jahknob

by jahknob

There are reasons for having a steel bike that haven't been considered here - if you're a weight weenie and you like to travel with your pride and joy, one convenient way to do it is with S&S Machine BTCs (which are for steel and Ti frames, though these won't work with the ultralight Ti tubesets), unless you want to go for smaller wheels...

There's a separate post with the detailed specs of my Roberts ULT Compact here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3170&highlight=

Since last year, when it was featured on the Cycling Plus stand at the London Cycle Show (lightest bike at the show at 5.5kg) it has been lightened a bit more, with new AX seatpost and saddle, BTP Campy Record FD, cork brake pads, lighter cable splitters and lighter Tune hubs (wheels are now under 1kg for the pair and can be happily ridden up and down mountains).

Sensibly set up for actual riding, with "real-life" tubulars (and chainrings and cassette) etc it comes in at 5.8kgs and is still a mind-blowing ride.

But best of all, within an hour I can pack/unpack it into a 26x26x10" suitcase, along with all my related cycling gear, carry it on my back/use public transport to get to the airport and squeeze under Ryanair's pitiful 15kg baggage allowance (and the standard airline checked baggage size limit).
Attachments
RobertsULTHome.jpg

Pego

by Pego

This is my Marcelo. I love it.

Pego.
Attachments
toda.jpg

ryanholio

by ryanholio

Concorde with Colombus MAX tubeset. I also have a Concorde Giro with Columbus Brain. It is really sweet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keithster

by keithster

yourdaguy wrote:WHY???

why not?

hard to explain really, something about steel that is fun to ride, I ride an apollo frame that I've converted to single speed, weighs in at 25 pounds. I lopped off 5 pounds by changing wheels, brakes, etc

also you can rag on it and it won't brake, can't say that for CF frames

next bike will be steel with all ww parts.
Jack of all trades, master of none.