Some people will never understand this. :noidea:
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nouseforaname

by nouseforaname

Cervelo Superprodigy...no dork disc comments, mechanic put it on like the dork he is, no longer on the bike

This is my best friends bike, he has

Time VXRS
Time VXR
Look 585

and he spends most his time on this steel tank, go figure. I ask him why and he says he doesnt know, he just likes it

Rippin

by Rippin

keithster wrote:
yourdaguy wrote:WHY???

why not?

hard to explain really, something about steel that is fun to ride, I ride an apollo frame that I've converted to single speed, weighs in at 25 pounds. I lopped off 5 pounds by changing wheels, brakes, etc

also you can rag on it and it won't brake, can't say that for CF frames

next bike will be steel with all ww parts.

Yes, my steel bike is still one of the most comfortable bikes to ride, more so than the aluminum, titanium or carbon bikes in my stable.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

keithster wrote:
next bike will be steel with all ww parts.

Some of us have learned the path to True Cycling Nirvana. :thumbup:

And some...

Time VXRS
Time VXR
Look 585

...have much yet to learn!

rascel

by rascel

Tommasini Steel Bike - Columbus SLX - smoothest ride ever

Light-Bikes - news for weightweenies

hari4270

by hari4270

Hi I have 2 steel Holdsworths and an aluminium Coppi KKL. All are cheep bargains for what they are.My handbuilt Holdsworth special is a 70's frame and fork 531 tubing and is almost as light as the allu Coppi with carbin fork.The other Holdsworth is 501 tubing again 1970's but I believe to be factory built.however it is heavier but handles just as sweet.I have picked up £300-£400 worth of allu crap in bike shops which weigh the same.Of course the old bikes have downtube shifters and don't have dual pivot brakes.I can live with the downtube shifters for winter training but have had cheep dual pivot brakes with bolt on fixings adapted to avoid brown shorts.A decent gel saddle and gel tape /gel gloves are fine for 2-3 hours of riding
Bikes are like beers there's no such thing as a bad one but some are better than others.

Miller

by Miller

This my Scapin EOS Pro with Look HSC3 forks, Campag drivetrain apart from TA Zephyr Light chainset, Open Pro/CX-Ray/Record wheels, Sh105 brakes (cos they're black), ITM Four bars and stem, Aliante saddle and FSA K-Force seatpost. This is my summer bike and as pictured it's around 8.5kg.

This 58cm frame dates from around 2000 and is made in welded Foco steel. It has many lovely details such as socketed rear dropouts, assymetric chainstays, elegant seatpost clamp, and ovoid tubing. The bike has a light, flickable ride and is supremely stable and accurate in big descents. I bought the frame second-hand but unused in 2003. It orginally came with a Wound-Up fork but that developed play in the steerer/crown joint so I replaced it with the Look fork.

Although I love it very much I'm also in the mood to try something new. So if anyone is interested in this frame and fork, drop me a note.
Attachments
Scapin EOS Pro DSCN0791a.JPG

onyourleft

by onyourleft

rascel wrote:Tommasini Steel Bike - Columbus SLX - smoothest ride ever

Hey! I think you stole my bar tape! :wink: :D Looks noice, rascel.

Except I wouldn't say those wheels are the smoothest ride. I've had black Shamal 38mm's and they could be on, let's say...the "stiff" side of "smooth". :wink:

Vreugdenhil

by Vreugdenhil

The steel bike from a friend of me. The Duell Vogue frame is 1600 gr. It where Dedacciai tube's

CP

by CP

Here is my steel bike. I'm going to put downshifters on it next week. ( (that will make it lighter and that's why I've dared to post it on the WW forum...)I like it a lot
CPP
Attachments
New Merckx 002.jpg

onyourleft

by onyourleft

CP wrote: (that will make it lighter and that's why I've dared to post it on the WW forum...)

I would say that a steel bike around 19 lbs. is very good, and at 18 lbs. or less is excellent. Qualifies for "WW" in my book. :D

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've still got a Lemond Gan Team bike and a Merckx Motorola team bike is almost as it was when it was used by the team. The stem, bar and saddle are the only things not original.(Though I have the original parts around somewhere.) The Merckx was used as a campus commuter then retired and now hangs from the ceiling in the shop, the Gan is just a frame with no plans to build it, as it's too big for me.

Though I think steel rides nice, I'd still take my carbon frames over it anyday.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

madcow wrote:
Though I think steel rides nice, I'd still take my carbon frames over it anyday.

Hey madcow, maybe you just haven't had the right steel bike yet? :wink:

I hate to sound like a retro-grouch because I'm really not against anything new or old that can improve some aspect of our cycling experience, but I've ridden a few very decent CF frames and I didn't like the muted feeling that all of them had. Some were better than others yes, but all had that same "family resemblance".

Of course, it all comes down to personal preferences, and there's no right or wrong. For me, it's either steel or Ti.

Flossie

by Flossie

Heres my steel bike. George Longstaff made in Stoke on Trent England.
Frame is fillet brazed Columbus Life. sincethe pictures were taken There have been loads of upgrades. 2005 record groupset nutron wheels etc. now weighs in at 19lb including the mudguards.
It rides like a dream.. Stiff, Nippy but super comfy.
Floss
(For more Photos click on my link below.)
Attachments
pics 085.jpg
Arms of a sprinter, legs of a climber, lungs of a smoker!
I cycle, therefore I am.
http://www.dukinfieldcc.org/ http://photobucket.com/albums/b32/clpowellbikes/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Choke

by Choke

This seems as good a place as any to make my first post :D

I don't own a road bike that isn't steel...

3 Ciocc (SL)
Bellesi (Genius)
Pinarello Prologo funny bike (Chromor)
Bianchi cyclocross (Zero Uno) -my wet weather road bike
Somec (SL)
Cramerotti (Oria)

And a Fondriest Status Plus (EOM 16.5 with a carbon rear triangle) waiting to be built up. That one might make it into WW territory...

I just like the way steel rides....
Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.