2014 Cervelo R5 - 6.06kg/13.4lb

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rideintospace

by rideintospace

This is a warranty replacement for my 2013 R5
I really like the new tube shapes and internal routing, especially behind the bottom bracket. The frame without hardware was a few grams heavier than my 2013 R5. Cut fork is 314g

Cervelo R5 2014 61cm
Carbonsports Lightweight GenIII wheels
Continental Gatorskin tubular 25mm
3T ARX team stem 110mm 6deg
Bontrager XXX bars 44cm
Bontrager XXX 330mm/5mm offset seatpost
BBinfinite direct fit bottom bracket
SRAM Force 22 crank/S900 spider/Praxis 52/36/KCNC SL bolts
SRAM Red 22 chain
Campagnolo SR 2014 shifters/FD/RD/11-29 cassette
Campagnolo SR 2015 brakes
Campagnolo steel cables/housing
K Edge braze on chain catcher
Shimano DA7900 pedals
Arundel mandible cages
Fizik Arione 00 saddle
Fizik superlight bar tape w/ carbon bar end plugs
Tune top cap
Extralite Ultrastar 2 expander
ENVE Ti skewers

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Nice looking bike, weights and specs! May i ask how tall you are and what your inseam is? I'm a tall guy just like you, and considering a cervelo for my next bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

A big beauty!
Same weight as your 2013. I only notice the brake change and the fork cut.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Beautiful bike and it is huge!

brahl

by brahl

I'm not a Cervelo R5 fan, but this one looks quite nice.

I've got the same seatpost on my Madone. How is the 00 saddle? I've thought about buying one many times. Does it ride well?
2020 Litespeed T1sl
2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (SL5)
2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9

rideintospace

by rideintospace

danbjpa wrote:Same weight as your 2013. I only notice the brake change and the fork cut.

This bike is almost exactly the same weight as my 2013. Changes are brakes, BB, and the cut fork + top cap/expander area. The previous frame had the steel insert and star nut that cervelo provide, as well as the cervelo top cap, while with this one I used an extralite expander and tune top cap. I like the new look a ton!

Nejmann wrote:Nice looking bike, weights and specs! May i ask how tall you are and what your inseam is? I'm a tall guy just like you, and considering a cervelo for my next bike.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm 6'4" with a 36 inch inseam. I have 3 bikes: a Bianchi Giro 61, Felt F1X 61, and this bike. The Cervelo fits me the best out of all of them, and has the tallest head tube of them all (225mm). I use it mostly for long or super fast rides and it is much more comfortable than the Bianchi, primarily because of the stack height. I looked into a lot of different frames and this one came out trumps. I think you can't go wrong with an R series.

brahl wrote:I've got the same seatpost on my Madone. How is the 00 saddle? I've thought about buying one many times. Does it ride well?

Your madone looks fast!!! I really like this seatpost, much lighter and easier to adjust than most. I think if you like the shape of the arione saddle then you will love the 00. I have used a lot of ariones in the past, heavy and light, and this one is my favorite. If I could spec it on all my bikes I would. The others that I am using now are the Arione CX carbon series saddles. They advertise 135g for the 00 but mine is 147g.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, and keep building light bikes!

dchan1234

by dchan1234

Why the Sram Force 22 cranks instead of something more high end?

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Decent bike

But fix the bar tape, I can see the lever clamp. :(

rideintospace

by rideintospace

dchan1234 wrote:Why the Sram Force 22 cranks instead of something more high end?

The crank choice was a tough one for me. I wanted something with a 30x86mm spindle in a 177.5 or 180mm length. I did not like the ROTOR option because of the way they forge their cranks with such sharp edges. I don't want to lose some ankle by mistake. The Force 22 also has a 30x86mm spindle and comes in a 177.5 length, and is about the same weight as the ROTOR. I am pretty happy with it but would likely trade up if something better fit my criteria.

5DII

by 5DII

Do you need any spacers for the Force cranks? And what happened to your first R5 frame?

rideintospace

by rideintospace

5DII wrote:Do you need any spacers for the Force cranks? And what happened to your first R5 frame?

Yes, there is one 7mm spacer on the drive side with this setup. I have a BBRight bottom bracket (79mm wide) with an 86mm spindle crank, so a 7mm spacer fills that gap. There might be a couple of 0.5mm spacers in there as well to correctly preload the bearings. I don't use wavy washers. I think the best setup would be a THM bottom bracket for BBright, which sets the bearings 86mm apart. No spacers necessary. I initially thought the BBinfinite bottom bracket was also 86mm wide but it isn't. I'm sure I'll replace it with a THM and ditch the spacer in the future.

My first R5 frame had a dropout alignment issue causing tire rub on the DS chainstay and NDS seat stay, especially when under power. Cervelo replaced the frame and fork right away, and the new frame is perfectly aligned.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice bike and props on the large frame (I ride Cannondale 63cm).
My R3 (sold) was a 61cm.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

PSM

by PSM

Nice bike!

But why a Bontrager seat post? (Or what is wrong with me?)

akaricerocket

by akaricerocket

PSM wrote:Nice bike!

But why a Bontrager seat post? (Or what is wrong with me?)

I also run a Bontrager seat post on my Cervelo. for the weight and price you can't beat it. 155g and a zero offset. I also like the clamp and how easy it is to adjust. I actually have a full bontrager cockpit in mine, seat, saddle, stem, and bars. zero complaints and they are some of the lightest/strongest parts on the market for their value.

rideintospace

by rideintospace

The bontrager bars and seatpost are light and strong, and I think the color works with my bike. There are lighter parts on the market but all come with a rider weight limit that won't work for me. For reference I'm 85kg, but have been over 87kg in the past.

Seapost: 160g with 7x9 adapters
Bars: 190g

PS akaricerocket, nice R5ca and District. I love the district with the madfibers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com