Cannondale SuperSix with SRAM Force

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Hi everyone!

This is my new Cannondale SuperSix with Shimano 105 5700 grouppo in Team Replica colors. I know it isn't exactly the same color scheme as the Liquigas-Cannondale riders use but luckily I like this better with the blue paint on the top tube. As a student with limited funds I wanted to prioritize the frame instead of the grouppo and I think the 105 grouppo is great value for money. The saved money will go to fund a better wheelset instead. According to Cannondale this bike should come with Tektro brakes but was delivered with a Shimano 105 brakes. Anyway, I'm not complaning. The steerer needs to be cut but coming from a 54cm CAAD and this is a 52cm I need to figure out where to cut it. The weight of the bike (without pedals, bottle holders, computer) is around 7.9 kilos. I'm not having any plans at this moment to make it a true WW but maybe get the weight down to around 7-7.2 kilos.

INITIAL RIDE IMPRESSION
I took it out for a short ride and my initial impression is very good. This bike is much more alive than my CAAD9 according to my memory. Maybe it's because of the frame or the wheelset. I feel even the lightest pedal stroke is transformed in speed. My former CAAD9 came with Shimano RS10 wheels and this one features Mavic Aksium Race. For the short ride it was, this wheelset seems to be great value for money. The SuperSix is much more alive and when mastered I think it offers great and very precise cornering. The CAAD9 was more neutral in cornering. I will take it out for a longer ride later today and see how it performs in sprints and going uphill :)

Ride impression from the second ride and bad news :( 5 kilometers into the ride my inner sit bone started to hurt like he**. And going over bumps just made it even worse. At some points the pain were so severe that I couldn't even sit and had to stand up. I don't know if this is because I haven't been riding any kind of bike in 1½ year between my CAAD9 and my SS or due to the saddle. The Prologo Scratch Pro is 11 mm wider than the Prologo Choice that I used on my CAAD9. However, this has to be solved ASAP as it takes every joy out of riding :(

RIDE IMPRESSION (April 23, 2011)
Went on a very short ride just to see if anything had changed and it had. No pain, just a small discomfort which I would say is due to me not being on a road bike for 1½ year. But the extreme pain that I experienced before is gone, at least on this ride. I didn't change anything on the bike. Although I was willing to change the saddle for one that didn't neccessarily fit my bike color-wise, I'm glad I hopefully can keep my current saddle. And best of all, the pain seems to be gone for now :)

However, I'm very happy about the bike :)

BUILD LIST
Frame: Cannondale SuperSix BB30, size 52
Fork: Cannondale SuperSix (full carbon)
Headset: Cannondale
Shifters: Shimano 105 5700
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Pro BB30 (50/34)
Front derailleur: Shimano 105 5700
Rear derailleur: Shimano 105 5700
Brakes: Shimano 105 5700
Cassette: Shimano 105 5700 (11-25)
Chain: Shimano 105 5700
Handlebar: Cannondale C2 Compact (420 mm center-to-center)
Stem: Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse (110 mm)
Seatpost: Cannondale C2 UD Carbon (31,6 mm x 300 mm)
Saddle: Prologo Scratch Pro
Wheelset: Mavic Aksium Race
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Pro III (lime)
Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race (matte black)
Bottles: High 5 (500ml)
Computer: Garmin Edge 500 (without pulse and cadence)

Stay safe everyone...

Regards,
Greenduck :)
Last edited by Greenduck on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Greenduck wrote:...
Anyway, it's not a true weight weenie at around 7900 kilograms

No kidding, I didn't know those things weighed 17,380 lbs :wink:

Be sure to post pics when you get it.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

fa63 wrote:No kidding, I didn't know those things weighed 17,380 lbs :wink:

Whoops... Guess I have the record for heaviest bike on WW:) I tell you, it's hell going uphill ;)

I have edited the text now to 7.9 kilograms :)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That is a sweet looking ride! I have the 105 spec'd Six Carbon, and let me tell you something......105 shifts through all 20 gears the same as ultegra or dura ace.

Post pics soon! I am envious of the paint scheme, for sure! :thumbup:

Greenduck

by Greenduck

btompkins0112 wrote:That is a sweet looking ride! I have the 105 spec'd Six Carbon, and let me tell you something......105 shifts through all 20 gears the same as ultegra or dura ace.

Post pics soon! I am envious of the paint scheme, for sure! :thumbup:

Thanks... I would have liked to have seen Dura-Ace or Red on the bike to try it. Never having ridden any of the top grouppos. But being on a tight budget I thought I'd save the money and then be able to buy a better wheelset sooner.
Last edited by Greenduck on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Easy on the vignetting, eh?

The matching saddle is a nice touch. Wonder if Prologo makes anymore Liquigas colored saddles.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

ricerocket wrote:Easy on the vignetting, eh?

The matching saddle is a nice touch. Wonder if Prologo makes anymore Liquigas colored saddles.

I threw the images through a batch editing program which resizes, increase contrast and uploads them to my website etc. Didn't notice the vignetting before they were posted and were in a hurry so no time for a do over :) But I need to do some better images and will probably not use any vignetting :)

I don't think Prologo makes any Liquigas colored saddles anymore. I was looking for some on the Internet, but could only find som older ones.
Last edited by Greenduck on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Inspired by the images of the Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod with two-colored handlebar tape I thought I'd give it a try on my SuperSix 105.

And here's the result:

I think it looks pretty good. The next "project" is to try this with blue handlebar tape. Already bought and ready in the same blue color as on the top tube.
Last edited by Greenduck on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fl8216

by fl8216

bike looks great, here's away to add a little more color to the bar tape. :D
Attachments
SS20.jpg

Greenduck

by Greenduck

fl8216 wrote:bike looks great, here's away to add a little more color to the bar tape. :D

A blue/green combination might work :) Haven't thought of that before now! Thanks.

ciccone376

by ciccone376

I absolutely love the color combos and lines of that bike. Your pictures, with the saturated colors, look amazing too. Well done!!

Greenduck

by Greenduck

This is how my bike looks at the moment.

I'm still thinking about trying to replace the green handlebar tape with blue or maybe the white and then go with a green/blue look. The blue handlebar tape I have is the same color as the blue color on the bike. Any thoughts??

Also 4 weeks ago I discovered a paint flaw on the front of the right blade of the fork. The green paint didn't wasn't applied properly so you could see through to the white paint underneath. Today I've just received a phone call from my LBS that they've received a replacement fork, luckily in the correct Team Replica color.
Last edited by Greenduck on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Great looking bike. Will be perfect with some nice racing wheels.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Peter_E wrote:Great looking bike. Will be perfect with some nice racing wheels.

I would love some new wheels although I'm pretty impressed with the Mavic Aksiums. They actually do a pretty good job.

But I would love some carbon wheels, maybe Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Got some new Vittoria Rubino Pro III tires in lime and a new Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse stem in 110mm. Also the steerer tube got cut and the 15mm top cap removed so I only use the 5mm top cap for minimal stack height. The white part of the handlebar tape got switched to blue but I'm thinking of going all white again now I got some lime colored tires.

Last edited by Greenduck on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.