Cannondale 2007 SuperSix

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

Thought I'd show my good weather bike. The frame was bought on eBay as ex-Barloworld, and it turns out that it's the frame Geraint Thomas did the 2007 TdF on...

Total weight as it stands on the picture is 6.65kg. Would be easy taking further weight off it by changing the seat clamp (but that has also done the Tour) and going for lighter tubes and tyres.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Kvaksalver wrote: The frame was bought on eBay as ex-Barloworld, and it turns out that it's the frame Geraint Thomas did the 2007 TdF on...

My mate's got one of these as well, he fell for the same trick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

Valbrona wrote:
Kvaksalver wrote: The frame was bought on eBay as ex-Barloworld, and it turns out that it's the frame Geraint Thomas did the 2007 TdF on...

My mate's got one of these as well, he fell for the same trick.

There were a couple of weird little things about the frame and the hardware that it came with, combined with a photo of GT in Paris (not provided buy the seller) that makes me pretty sure this is the actual frame...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Good looking rig either way you slice it!! Not sure how you could authenticate fully either way unless the serial number matched.......

:thumbup: :beerchug:

tinchy

by tinchy

Ex-pro or not, this bike is looking sharp. Only thing I would change is go back to black hoods, to much of a white/black contrast between front and rear at the moment, in my eyes anyway. :thumbup:

What bar by the way? Looks perfect in the drops.

WillT

by WillT

Looks great! Always cool to see a frame with some history behind it.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Interesting that a Tour ridden bike still has the frame size decal on it......

:noidea: :beerchug: :thumbup:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

crohnsy wrote:Interesting that a Tour ridden bike still has the frame size decal on it......

:noidea: :beerchug: :thumbup:

Good point.......think we have our answer right there.

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

Arw, you make me all warm and fuzzy...

If you look at the attached picture (can we agree that it's GT on a bike?), you'll see a size decal on the frame. There's also a Cannondale sticker on the fork (the fork had it's wheel retention tabs filed off, btw) that was on when I first got the frame. If you look at the first headset spacer, it's not from a SuperSix, but from a SystemSix. That came with the frame instead of the one i put on. The seatpost collar isn't the Cannondale item, but rather the aforementioned Campagnolo. And last, but not least: If you look very closely at the picture, you'll see the Barloworld decal on the top tube has a little chip on the right side of the last "d". That's still on the frame. Under clearcoat...

And I can hear you say "Yeah, but It's just a guy in sneakers on a bike with a number on it?". Here's a link to a picture of a guy in cleats on a bike with the same number: GT TdF 2007.

Last edited by Kvaksalver on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

tinchy wrote:
What bar by the way? Looks perfect in the drops.

Bar is an Easton EC90 Equipe SLX. 82mm reach, 140mm drop.

Edit: 200g and 80£ from CRC as far as I remember...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Touche! Very compelling proof you have there!

This is just a question, no malicious intent.......does there exist a database of serial numbers for tour ridden bikes?? I am sure the UCI documents the serial numbers of pro ridden bikes, right??

If I were you, I would want to completely validate the piece of history that you appear to have there!!

Nice ride! :beerchug:

Kvaksalver

by Kvaksalver

I don't think there's a record of bikes ridden in the Tour (or any other race, for that matter). AFAIK the UCI is there with tape measures and scales but other than that, really don't care whats ridden.

I'm following Geraint on Twitter, maybe I should get him to confirm that it's his old ride :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Kvaksalver wrote:I don't think there's a record of bikes ridden in the Tour (or any other race, for that matter). AFAIK the UCI is there with tape measures and scales but other than that, really don't care whats ridden.

I'm following Geraint on Twitter, maybe I should get him to confirm that it's his old ride :mrgreen:

Shoot him a pic and see!! :thumbup: