65051344.jpg
LA_LW 2002.JPG
image17.jpg
lance_lightweight.JPG
50.jpg
Lance-Armstrong-picture.jpg

kikkie

by kikkie

I love how a relatively cheep bike can be better looking and more awesome then mist 10k bikes you can buy today!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

munk93

by munk93

If you pay attention to details, you can do alot. Choosing the most expensive gear and building a bike doesn't quite make it. If you wan't the bike to be special, you'll have to do some work your self. Everything has to match. And I personally prefer when people keep it simple. Yes, some paintjobs are cool (example. Colnago), but a frameset in one beautyful color, along with a pair downtube stickers, and maybe a headtube sticker. That does the trick in my opinion.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Mate, I realise this was donkeys ago but hope you are still around to give me a hand.

Just bought a 1999 USPS frameset which come with 1 inch steerer fork on a cane creek s2 headset.

I haven't been able to remove the headset yet but wonder if you knew what is the I ternal headtube diameter for this frame.

I wanted to go for a cane creek 110 ec34, 34mm headtube diameter for a 1 1/8 fork. It might be that the frame will only have a 30mm headtube, restricting me to those now hard to find half decent 1' inch carbon steerer forks!

Thanks (btw, the headset removal tool and the digital caliper have been ordered, but with Xmas and all u should only receive them early next year).

Thanks!!!

martinko

by martinko

Sorry for off-topic, but only now I have noticed that the left lever is brake-only and FD shifter is on down tube, while right lever is integrated.

michel2

by michel2

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Mate, I realise this was donkeys ago but hope you are still around to give me a hand.

Just bought a 1999 USPS frameset which come with 1 inch steerer fork on a cane creek s2 headset.

I haven't been able to remove the headset yet but wonder if you knew what is the I ternal headtube diameter for this frame.

I wanted to go for a cane creek 110 ec34, 34mm headtube diameter for a 1 1/8 fork. It might be that the frame will only have a 30mm headtube, restricting me to those now hard to find half decent 1' inch carbon steerer forks!

Thanks (btw, the headset removal tool and the digital caliper have been ordered, but with Xmas and all u should only receive them early next year).

Thanks!!!

you wont be able to fit bigger cups in a frame, check this link below and scroll down a few pages youll see what the go is
http://www.canecreek.com/resources/prod ... -guide.pdf

you will need to stick with a 1 inch fork and headsets, columbus minamal comes in 1 inch, 45 mm rake and only weights she of 300 grams.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Wright weenie trick! Check this out:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... kes-34375/

"Armstrong's Trek 5900 shown in climbing trim for the 2001 Tour de France"
martinko wrote:Sorry for off-topic, but only now I have noticed that the left lever is brake-only and FD shifter is on down tube, while right lever is integrated.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

This is really helpful stuff, Michel. Thanks a lot! I had gone through the Cane Creek resources but hadnt found the file you shared. I'll put my eBay shopping on hold and wait for the caliper ruler I bought to arrive.

I guess I'll go ahead and search for the Columbus for the time being! Thanks!

michel2 wrote:
DWatkinsBSB wrote:Mate, I realise this was donkeys ago but hope you are still around to give me a hand.

Thanks!!!

you wont be able to fit bigger cups in a frame, check this link below and scroll down a few pages youll see what the go is
http://www.canecreek.com/resources/prod ... -guide.pdf

you will need to stick with a 1 inch fork and headsets, columbus minamal comes in 1 inch, 45 mm rake and only weights she of 300 grams.

michel2

by michel2

ceeway, www.framebuilding.com i think as them in stock im pretty sure otherwise old mate wiggle might just keep in mind the trek might have a 43 mm rake the minimal 45 meaning that the trek will increase stability but looses agility

terrible1

by terrible1

Yum! Great revitalisation of an iconic piece of equipment.

dcj9

by dcj9

hi DW

edit:
my memory might be suspect but i recall buying the original bike around september 2000 or 2001.
i guess trek changed the spec since my frame takes a 1 1/8 fork, so i don't think the following info is relevant to you.

the cup is 34mm outer diameter which fits inside the nominal size 1 1/8 headtube.

good luck with the build

dcj9

by dcj9

.....and since the thread is already revived, here is a relatively current pic of the bike:

ill principe

by ill principe

Very well composed build. Love the idea of keeping a bike for that long and keep refining it. Hope you still have the Lightweights, the brown kevlar spokes matched the bike perfect.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by 9734344

I don't mean to be a killjoy but did you ever weigh the bike with the Lightweights? You can't have everything surely? This is Weight-Weenies afterall.

6+ pages and not even one request now that is impressive, I have checked I didn't miss it honest.
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brahl

by brahl

What is the stem length?
2020 Litespeed T1sl
2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (SL5)
2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9