HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Slippery slope
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:46 pm 

Hello everybody!

The story starts with my doctor telling me that running was becoming a bad idea with a repeating back injury, due to pounding the pavement. She suggested something lower impact like an elliptical. Yuck!!! It is now a few months later (and many a frustrated day on gym ellipticals and bikes), and I have just pulled the trigger on my first bike (unless we are counting my mini sized bike when I was 10!). A friend (Sucycling88) suggested this forum. After looking around, it seems as if I am a bit out of my league, but I would love to start learning.

My purchase is a 2012 Trek 1.1, which comes in early next week!!! (I will post pictures later in this thread upon arrival.) Like my title says, I think this is going to be one slippery slope. The weather has been so nice here that many of the bikes I was looking at were not in stock, and at the shop I was sized up on some higher end bikes. Of course, I am a bit envious already.

So, again, hello hello! :-P

-Nick (staminator)

Post subject: Re: Slippery slope
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:49 pm 

:welcome: All of us started somewhere! :thumbup:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:49 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 pm 

Welcome Nick. Starting with a "heavier" bike only means you'll have more fun lightening her up :twisted:

I personally find riding to be a much more enjoyable workout than running. You just don't see many smiling runners out on the roads :)

The one thing I can suggest to a beginner is to purchase your own tools and learn how to build and maintain your own bike. It's all pretty easy to learn with all the information and videos out on the web these days!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:05 pm 

+1 on the tools, especially if you are an engineer/gear head kinda person.

Part of the joy for me is that my bike is wholly mine. I bought the parts, put it together, built the wheels, etc. It's a feeling that is hard to find elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

Welcome from a fellow ex-runner. I had to stop running as well -- because of a knee injury, and I don't regret the move at all. My biggest transition issue was riding in bad weather, because you produce more heat when running. Anyway let me tell you once you're accustomed to riding at a higher intensity continuously, and maybe a bit of dialling in of the outfit, it works just as well. :welcome:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 pm 

billspreston wrote:
It's all pretty easy to learn with all the information and videos out on the web these days!

I didn't notice any sticky's about DIY repairs here. Is there anything on this site?

And, thanks for the welcome! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:03 am 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 am 

I worked at a bike shop for 4 years during college and I can't tell you how many times I heard "well, my doctor says I can no longer run, so hear I am!" Cycling is amazing you will love it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 am 

johnsonj718 wrote:
I worked at a bike shop for 4 years during college and I can't tell you how many times I heard "well, my doctor says I can no longer run, so hear I am!" Cycling is amazing you will love it!

Seriously. But getting into weight weenie'ism is going to be one hell of a shock for your wallet compared to running. I hope you enjoy riding, just enjoy your bike and don't jump into the weight race too soon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 am 
Administrator

:welcome: Another ex-runner here, well I'll still run on occasion when traveling or on vacation but my bikes now own my heart. Laterally bulging disc's at S1 and C5 ended my marathoning days quite some time ago. Have fun with your bike. One bike usually leads to another, then another..... :shock:

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 pm 

fallen86 wrote:
Seriously. But getting into weight weenie'ism is going to be one hell of a shock for your wallet compared to running. I hope you enjoy riding, just enjoy your bike and don't jump into the weight race too soon.
Very true. My main cost with running was the quarterly shoe purchase, at $100 a pop. Not too bad, but it seems with cycling prices get scary, very quickly. No matter what, my "heavy" 1.1 still felt like a dream to ride on, and I can't wait for it to come in! Looks like Monday or Tuesday at this point....... :doh:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:46 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
Based on the Trek website, it appears that the 1.1 comes with toe clip style pedals. In any event, do you plan on using clipless pedals? If so, and you plan to commute you might consider getting SPD (compatible) mountain pedals which give you the option of either rigid cycling shoes or recessed cleat shoes which are good for walking (and perhaps commuting), but still good for riding.

You can always change pedals later, but pedal choice will affect your position and fit on the bike.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:15 am 

HammerTime2 wrote:
Based on the Trek website, it appears that the 1.1 comes with toe clip style pedals. In any event, do you plan on using clipless pedals? If so, and you plan to commute you might consider getting SPD (compatible) mountain pedals which give you the option of either rigid cycling shoes or recessed cleat shoes which are good for walking (and perhaps commuting), but still good for riding.

You can always change pedals later, but pedal choice will affect your position and fit on the bike.
These look nice, and I will almost definitely spring for them, but I may have to wait to purchase. I suppose this means being refitted as well....Blahhhh. Thanks for the idea. It just went on the wish list.

Post subject: Slippery slope
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:41 am 

HammerTime2 wrote:

He will when I get done with him :D

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jez3hb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am 

SUCycling88 wrote:
He will when I get done with him :D
If your knee holds up, that is! :roll:

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next