Cervelo R5ca 51cm 11.1 lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

personicus

by personicus

Gorgeous!

Cervelo is doing something wonderful for bike technology.

Pantani

by Pantani

Please post a ride report. I found the 51cm R3 to be very unstable handling wise so I'd be concerned that an even lighter bike that uses similar geometry would be worse.

I don't agree with Cervelo's theories on geometry. An unwillingness to make size specific moulds seems a more plausible explanation IMO.

BTW - I entirely support your rationale on tyres. I'd probably go for a GP4000 but I agree that when it comes to tubs, its not worth compromising on puncture resistance.

Nice bike anyway - congratulations.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RoadManiac

by RoadManiac

Beautiful bike. :thumbup:
One death is a tragedy- a million death is statistic.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Pantani wrote:Please post a ride report. I found the 51cm R3 to be very unstable handling wise so I'd be concerned that an even lighter bike that uses similar geometry would be worse.

I don't agree with Cervelo's theories on geometry. An unwillingness to make size specific moulds seems a more plausible explanation IMO.

That doesn't make sense at all, Cervelo would have to make multiple moulds for all the different sizes anyways. I have not noticed unstable handling for 51 cm like you have. Sure, the Cervelo has a kind of fast reactiveness with the short chainstays, but never has it become nervous or skittish when leaned over (stays on line, the rear doesn't step out, the turning radius doesn't vary around). The responsiveness may be making you nervous about the ultimate limit although the bike is entirely capable of its handling duties. Or, it could be that you just have more experience with bikes with crazy stability like Colnago, etc. with which you can literally descend and corner at 45+ mph with no hands :)

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Am i the only one that doesn't like this thing? nice attention to detail and a great build list but damn it's ugly.

Note: opinion only.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

You own a Dogma, your opinion doesn't count ;)

jdp211

by jdp211

justkeepedaling wrote:You own a Dogma, your opinion doesn't count ;)

seconded

g_doraz

by g_doraz

jdp211 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:You own a Dogma, your opinion doesn't count ;)

seconded

Note: opinion only.
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

ferrarista

by ferrarista

WOW really nice bike :thumbup:

That frame was painted by a friend of mine. He has a contract with cervelo now. He's painting all the R5ca that will be sold in the world 8)
██

spartan

by spartan

great build. i don't see any paint..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

buttrumpus

by buttrumpus

cervelo specs the frame to only allow for less than 30 grams of added weight from paint, so it's all very thin. funny thing is, the inside of these frames like where the chain stays plug into the front triangle, is a mess of errant carbon threads. could've easily saved some weight from cleaning those up....

ferrarista

by ferrarista

buttrumpus wrote:cervelo specs the frame to only allow for less than 30 grams of added weight from paint, so it's all very thin. funny thing is, the inside of these frames like where the chain stays plug into the front triangle, is a mess of errant carbon threads. could've easily saved some weight from cleaning those up....

I've seen these frame bare when they arrive at my friend's paint shop and its not pretty.
He has to do alot of sanding , preping before he can paint. the surface has to be perfect or else it doesn't come out nice. Like you said, he has to follow cervelo's requests on the amount of paint used. I remember he did alot of tests last year on getting it right untill cervelo was happy with the end result.
██

sedluk

by sedluk

It would be interesting to know how many of the frames he has painted.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

sedluk wrote:It would be interesting to know how many of the frames he has painted.

I don't know how many he has painted till now, but I know he still has some left to do. I will
ask him next time.

I remember late last year he received all the boxes from cervelo. I think around 300 frames, but i'm not sure.
██

erotero

by erotero

interesting...
MASTER says... FASTER!!! ...but my leg still hurts...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com