Cervelo R5ca 51cm 11.1 lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sawyer

by sawyer

Great to see one of these on here. Awesome weight on a high-end build and kudos for not putting tofus on for the shoot.

I agree with others re. the gatorskins - old hoses ... but you've made your defence.

And the ST angle wld never work for me but alas it's not mine.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Santoki

by Santoki

I love your attitude on this bike, go with what works for you. :thumbup:

I'm not one for "Sunday best" in my mind a bike is to be ridden regardless of whether it is $500 or $10k+ and using top spec parts is all the better so long as they don't let you down. So I'm all with you on gatorskins on lightweights. In my mind the way I get most value out of my bikes is to ride them as much as possible, I tend to want to replace parts before they wear out anyway.

ashley77

by ashley77

Why do you weenies compete against eachother who has the lightest bike?
Whats it all about?

Dov

by Dov

It's more 'mutual appreciation' than competition
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Dov

by Dov

Surely a website named weight-weenies should have deterred you if the pursuit of light bikes is not to your taste.

A bit daft eh?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

soriyu

by soriyu

:thumbup:

is all I can think of... :wink:

collegiateRacer

by collegiateRacer

kgt wrote:It also seems to me that using a non setback seatpost and a longer stem would be better.

I take it you have no knowledge of bike fit? :roll:

BTW, nice bike.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

kgt wrote:It also seems to me that using a non setback seatpost and a longer stem would be better.

And why so ? From an aesthetic viewpoint ?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ collegiateracer & Maxxevv,

Cervelo designed the bike to be used with a 0 setback post. The seat tube is noticeably slacker then on other bikes.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

BERNARDO

by BERNARDO

oh my gooooood!
What a beautiful bike!

Congratulations.

sedluk

by sedluk

To clear up some confusion. Cervelo did not design this bike so that it could ONLY accept a zero setback seatpost.

What they did was lower the angle of the seatpost tube to allow many more riders the use of a lighter zero setback seatposts.

In my case, I ordered the frame something like 7 months ago. I wanted to get my parts ready so that when I received the frame I could build it up. I wanted an Ax Lightness seatpost and had to decide between the premium setback model or the no setback.

I knew that even with a 72 degree seatpost angle I would be close. It is simple geometry, on the smaller frames like a 51cm, the 72 degree seatpost angle moves the post back something like 1cm. I am out of town, when I get back I can actually measure the distance compared to the R5. On a larger frame the 72 degree angle moves the seatpost back further.

I am 5"7" and wear size 11 Mavic Huez shoes and have a somewhat normal if not a little on the long side femur. Nothing really out of the ordinary but I thought it would be close. I knew that if I bought the more expensive setback seatpost I would be riding soon after I got the frame. If I bought the no setback seatpost and it did not work I would be ordering a new seatpost and waiting.

You can check yourself, Fairwheel is currently out of stock on both premium (setback and no setback) 27.2 mm L1 seatposts. And guess how long you could be waiting for a seatpost from Ax Lightness. I am not going to put them down, they make great products. But even if you order something directly out of Germany, you might be waiting a while and sitting around looking at that new frame.

Once I have the saddle position dialed in I will be able to decide if I can use a no setback seatpost. There is a good chance that I will be able to use a no setback seatpost, but I think it will be close. If I can use a no setback I will be waiting for a while, Ax Lightness makes great products but getting them can often take some time. In the meantime I will be riding with my perfectly acceptable seatpost.

Raxel

by Raxel

Super build and super photograph. 1Dsmk3 with 200mm 1.8?
:podium: :podium: :podium: :podium:

So the frameset alone weighs around 690gr for size 51?
That's almost the same weight as the lightest one I have ever seen. (I scaled the the ruegamer zen uberlight and it weighed 688gr w/o hanger) I think this frame is quite an achievement for big brand frame. Is the fork steerer tapered?

timintense

by timintense

I didnt realise when i first commented on this bike how much this total build would cost :shock: i mean i knew the ax-lightness kit and lightweights would make it expensive but i hadnt realised the cost of that frame. Truely Epic build on that note :thumbup:
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

djconnel

by djconnel

sedluk wrote:I knew that even with a 72 degree seatpost angle I would be close. It is simple geometry, on the smaller frames like a 51cm, the 72 degree seatpost angle moves the post back something like 1cm. I am out of town, when I get back I can actually measure the distance compared to the R5. On a larger frame the 72 degree angle moves the seatpost back further.

Don't sweat the seatpost. But this isn't correct. The amount the seat is moved back depends on the saddle-to-BB distance, not the frame size. And if the seat tube axis intersects the BB axis, then the you'd expect this to scale with rider height, anyway, so there's no reason to believe a smaller frame is more likely to use a setback post than a larger one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sedluk

by sedluk

What I was trying to say was I found it difficult to precisely calculate exactly how much further back the seatpost on the R5ca would meet the saddle compared to my R5. On a 51cm frame I estimated that it would work out to around 1cm, that the seatpost would hit the saddle around 1cm further back than on the R5. I could look at my R5 and see where the seatpost was hitting the saddle and knew that I would need the seatpost to hit at least 1cm further back and even that would be close.

If you had a 58cm frame and your current setup only required a small setback, something like 1cm then you could feel comfortable ordering a no setback seatpost and be confident that it would work. Moving from a 73 degree angle to 72 would move you back say 1.5cm.

Not to knock Cervelo but they gave very few details about the R5ca geometry. It is hard to tell from the photo, but it almost looks like the seat tube starts out by going up from the BB and then transitions into a 72 degree angle.

I hope that by posting my experience that others will be able to benefit.