My 1996 'Classic' Klein Quantum Pro

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

The_Don

by The_Don

Updates!

So due to popular demand, I have a black saddle and bar tape now! I hope you like!

I want to change the bars, but need to get the MC2 collet tool before i can change the stem and bars as I want to have 31.8mm.

I haven't weighed the bike properly yet, but I think it's around the 8kg mark according to my stand on the bathroom scales and minus my weight from the combined weight.

I haven't removed the pie plate yet. i know it doesn't really do much, and the chain isn't going to come off, but it doesn't offend me, so it has survived thus far.

These first photos were after changing the saddle.

It was daytime and the light was nice so the pearl yellow paint really shows!

After new tape is was night and the iPhone camera doesn't do so well in this light...

Hopefully I will have time to take some better photos during the day!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Only found out by chance the other day that the tool for fitting/removing Cannondale Hologram spiders has the same tooth profile as the MC2 collet tool :D
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

The_Don

by The_Don

Is that really true? Is that the road version of the MC2?

And how did you find out?

What is the name of the tool for the cannondale? I have been watching eBay and there is one seller with lots of MC2 tools, but the auctions keep finishing around $50. A bit much for a tool I will once. If it's a standard tool, then most shops should have it and I can finally swap! :beerchug:

I have a shim to make up the difference of the Klein 1-1/16th head tube to regular 1-1/8th size for stems.

soriyu

by soriyu

one of the most beautiful frames I've ever seen.
take care of her! :smartass:

and man am I jealous...

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I do bike repairs and a guy brought in a Klein Androit for a service, not realizing his Judy SL forks had been on backwards for the last 10 years+ :shock: Any way I removed the rubber cover off the collet and scratched my head because I'd never worked on a Klein lol, went through all my tools and what do you know, my Hollowgram tool fitted! I can't imagine the road version is different? Here's his bike after I'd turned the forks around and serviced it. Now after seeing one in the flesh I want one!

The_Don wrote:Is that really true? Is that the road version of the MC2?

And how did you find out?

What is the name of the tool for the cannondale? I have been watching eBay and there is one seller with lots of MC2 tools, but the auctions keep finishing around $50. A bit much for a tool I will once. If it's a standard tool, then most shops should have it and I can finally swap! :beerchug:

I have a shim to make up the difference of the Klein 1-1/16th head tube to regular 1-1/8th size for stems.
Last edited by BeeBee30 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

The_Don

by The_Don

Hi CAADHEAD.

hummm. The MTB one is bigger, and uses a bigger diameter.

Here are road and MTB tools side-by-side

EDIT:

I have actually found that reset racing now produce more parts for the MC2 clad bike.

They have tools, and stem adaptors now. Last time I looked on their site, they only had headsets for using 1 1\8th forks in Klein frames.

RESET KLEIN MC2 Tool | 5274

Befestigungsschlüssel für die Original KLEIN Lenker-Vorbau-Einheit (LVE) bei MC2-Steuersätzen.

Material: Aluminium 7075 eloxiert Farben: Violett und Schwarz 14,90 Euro
inkl. 19% Mwst

RESET Hülse | 1114-4

für KLEIN Quantum Gabelschäfte auf 1 1/8" 11,90 Euro
inkl. 19% Mwst

The_Don

by The_Don

Sorry to add more photos of my bike. :? Black tape and nice light, plus I had just washed it! :roll:

Once I get the MC2 Collet tool, I will get a Specialized Pro-Set Stem and their Shallow Bend Expert Alloy Bars. The question is, "is it worth spending the extra ¥ on the S-Works models? :twisted: or will the Alu bars and 50g heavier stem be fine?" The Alu bars are 250g (about $40) and the carbon are about 200g (about $350) the stems are 180g ($35) vs 120g ($85). This being Weight Weenies, I think I know what you will say :beerchug: , but the prices are very different.