HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:38 pm 

Think I've said the same thing about your bikes LionelB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 am 

Like the the dark Boras ... if the lighting was better showing the ghost graphics. Otherwise great monochrome color scheme. Would order one if the Mapei doesn't come as ordered.

Thx 4 the pix! Appreciate it.

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 am 

I've spent a lot of time looking at the dark labels on your thread and finally purchased a pair. I wanted to asks you a more general question about fitting tubs. Would you recommend glueing or taping? I wieght 68kg if that makes any difference.

Also have you changed your bars yet for an ally set?

Thanks 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 pm 

Hi @Bearman, Congrats on your new set of Boras. As for gluing, I use Vittoria Mastik One. I've never used tape so I can't really comment on it. I like the results I've been getting with glue, two thin layers on the rim itself, and one on the base tape of the tire, maybe two if it's a super absorbent base tape like Continentals use. Just follow Vittorias instructions. There's all kinds of folklore about tubulars, so read it, have a chuckle when appropriate, and adopt what makes sense to you. I have used more layers of glue, but the bond has not been any better than two properly applied thin layers on the rim. In fact, I'd say the bond is better with just two thin layers of glue. Think about it. What are you really doing when you add more layers... are you increasing it's bonding properties? No. What you're doing is just making a thicker pool of glue between the tire and the rim. Is that good? I doubt it. Especially if conditions actually got hot enough to start making the glue soft... it would just make it more squishy and even easier to roll a tire, which I've never had the misfortune of happening. Have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:41 pm 

:? Great bikes.
Here is the experience that I have with tape to install tubular tires for the last 2 years. A few people in my club and my self decided to give the Tufo tape a try and we have been using it exclusively for our tubular tires for some time now. I only used tubulars now, I have not since then used a pair of clinchers. Our experience is so far very positive. We like; ease to use, extremely easy to install the tires, very safe, we are in California with tons of climbs and fast descents in hot and cold weather, very durable, no mess installing. when you remove the old tire to install a new one, the "old" tape comes all together as a unit leaving the rim clean, like new, compare to using glue. We dislike; the only thing I can come with is that sometimes is very difficult to remove the old tire, to the point that you need two people to do it.
Hope that helps in your decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm 

Thanks guys - what I've done is bought some Tufo Tub Tape (TTT) and after application will physically see how well the tyres have adhered to the rim before going off and riding. I suppose I can use my hands to see how well bonded they have become.

Failing that I'll get the workshop to spread some glue on the rim and I'll go down that route. Thank you :D

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9