Colnago C59 Traditional 61 - UPDATED Page 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

StefanR

by StefanR

stem and handle bar look not harmonic here.. stem looks down and THIN, handlebar form strange, the shifters are so far.

try this one ;)

diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

StefanR wrote:stem and handle bar look not harmonic here.. stem looks down and THIN, handlebar form strange, the shifters are so far.

try this one ;)

Lol. You crack me up Stefan. I looked at that stem. Even mounted it on the bars. Don't like it at all. Big and clunky and completely destroyed the lines. Made it completely "inharmonic". I heard music when I destriped the 3T stem. In fact, I still hear the music. It's an Italian opera and I hate opera. But in this context, it's perfect.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StefanR

by StefanR

nah nah..... I think with that BIG headtube, it works ;) yours is too thin.

come on... I want to see how it looks like.

ahhah
diversity.....

kgt

by kgt

You are right about the red bits.

I am just thinking that when you choose this "ghost" color with those minimal decals, those Bora stickers do not seem to follow the same concept.
At the end what do you prefer? A "loud" and dynamic image or a understated one? In you place I would remove the big CAMPAGNOLO BORA stickers leaving just the small CULT etc. etc .stickers. But that is just my point of view.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

StefanR wrote:nah nah..... I think with that BIG headtube, it works ;) yours is too thin.
ahhah

That's what she said!

No... don't like that stem on this frame for these reasons: 1) I already mentioned, big and clunky imo 2) gloss finish clashes with matte frame and also would have been very difficult to remove the stripe, which even though it is silver, I don't like it on this stem any more than I didn't like the red stripe on the ARX TEAM stem 3) most importantly however, they do not make this stem in a -17 which I wanted.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

kgt wrote:You are right about the red bits.

I am just thinking that when you choose this "ghost" color with those minimal decals, those Bora stickers do not seem to follow the same concept.
At the end what do you prefer? A "loud" and dynamic image or a understated one? In you place I would remove the big CAMPAGNOLO BORA stickers leaving just the small CULT etc. etc .stickers. But that is just my point of view.

KGT... I think I understand what you're saying and I completely appreciate that. But for this build I was actually trying to showcase the wheels as much as the frame. It is all intentional. I wanted a "statement bike"... with an agressive look and even fit (for me), yet not completely stealth. I actually had the Boras since last spring and tried them on another of my bikes. Didn't work at all aesthetically but I really liked the wheels, so when I saw the matte black C59 I thought... THIS is the frame for those wheels. Then with the red graphic bits on the new 2011 Campy stuff... it was done. But now that it's done, it's a bike to be ridden and I don't worry too much about the weather or where and how I ride it. It's been in some terrible downpours as this spring has been our worst ever. I've pushed it into some corners at quite sketchy speeds and it is very very nice. Being a bigger guy, I really appreciate the beefier headtube, etc. So far so good. Of course... when it feels this good, you want to start really pushing it until you find that limit... crash! I'm trying not to do that, at least right away. Cuz I really hate when that happens :lol:

My next build will be an equally high end build, but totally different look. Summer some time...

majklnajt

by majklnajt

NO, to the "ghost" decals and fat stem!!! :D

LionelB

by LionelB

Calnago wrote:
eurperg wrote:Looks really good! Classy components and a classic fit.

In theory you could get rid of some spacers with a -6° stem, but I actually prefer the way it looks with -17°. The stem angle aligns nicely with the top tube.

Yes Eurperg, exactly right. I thought a lot about what I wanted to do here. I really wanted the look of the -17 but wasn't sure if I'd have to "build" up the height too much in order to end up with a "ridable" position for me. This is an agressive drop for me right now at 101mm. I actually have the exact same stem ("de-striped" and all) in a -6 and all I have to do is swap it out and I get an extra 18mm of height, putting the drop at 83mm which I know is all day comfort for me and it really looks good too. So far, I'm fine with the 101mm of drop as I wanted this bike to be a little more "aggressive" for the faster group days. The stem actually probably slopes down ever so slightly as the headtube is slightly steeper than 73 degrees, which the -17 angle is really designed around. But overall I'm very pleased with the resulting look and fit.

What is your saddle height in this picture?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Measurements, etc... Since I've had some requests like the above (saddle height etc.) I just figured I'd post all the relevant stuff here. Everyone is different however, so just remember... "your results may vary".

Once again, here's the bike and the measurements below relate to this setup. Nothing has changed from this picture and when the measurements were taken:

Rider Height: 185cm (just shy of 6'1" in bare feet).
Rider inseam: 91cm (Somewhat longer than average for my height I believe)
Rider Weight: 89kg (196lb)... been less, been more.

Bike Setup:
Saddle Height from center of BB to top of saddle along center line of seat tube: 805mm
Saddle Setback: 101mm
Tip of saddle nose to center of bars next to stem: 617mm
Saddle-to-bar drop (vertical): 101mm

And there you have it.

LionelB

by LionelB

Thanks. And you have 1cm of spacers below your stem I assume in the picture above.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lionel, there is actually an 8mm carbon spacer plus a 3mm anodized red alloy spacer for a total of 11mm of spacer stack above the top cap and below the stem. The C59 headset comes with two top covers... a shorter one about 7mm that sits underneath a taller one (which is what I'm using) that is about 16mm. I think the way they've done it is really nice.

On top of the stem I generally always will add a 5mm spacer so that the stem has full contact with the steerer. I think more than 5mm starts to look like a big nob on top and any less doesn't serve the purpose I'm intending. I'll cut the steer tube just enough over the top of the stem (no more than 1mm) to give something for the 5mm spacer to go over and prevent it from getting pushed off center.

Are you building an identical size bike or why the very specific size questions? Just curious?

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

He's considering stealing your bike but wants to be dead sure it'll fit him. Remember to post your address up too and your work hours. Shame it's too big for me or I would have swiped it myself.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

:lol:

StefanR

by StefanR

with that stem? no, you can leave it in middle of town alone when you go shopping ;)
diversity.....

LionelB

by LionelB

CrazyErrol wrote:He's considering stealing your bike but wants to be dead sure it'll fit him. Remember to post your address up too and your work hours. Shame it's too big for me or I would have swiped it myself.

You got me figured out :D

I have a 61cm C50 and was trying to figure out the differences in the size of the integrated HS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com