Blurr's Skunkworks turns corporate. The big S. Updated6/20!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Well, it was never really skunkworks but since that's what I said in my first build thread I stuck with it. A lot of you have seen my older Wilier ( http://seanblurr.com/2013/10/20/w-lital ... e-redenta/) and then my FM-069 build ( http://seanblurr.com/2014/01/03/skunkworks/). I recently got rid of the 69 and swapped all of my parts onto my old Wilier frame for the time being. I wasn't super happy with the 69 for reasons that I have mentioned in other threads. The Wilier is a blast to ride now, but with team obligations I made the jump to the big S. I'll be riding an S-Works Venge in 2015, this will also be my intro into the aero bike market. I'm pretty pumped.

So to start, here is my current bike, an older Wilier Mortirolo.

(Don't mind the stem, I had to do it to get my current fit transferred to this frame =P)

So most likely what I will be doing is swapping over all my parts onto the new Venge. That will include Campy SR groupset, 3T cockpit etc. HOWEVER... I have access to a DA9000 groupset to use for the summer if I want instead. But something about using Super Record on an S-Works Venge really appeals to me, I think it would be awesome. So before I build it up I will have to think on that.

What do you guys think?

Finally, here is the new beast for 2015. S-Works Venge in Rocket Red, size 52. It's a bit heavier then I wanted, but I'm hoping I can still make this a 15 pound bike. Frame weight WITH bottom bracket was 1240g.

As I start to build her up, I will update the thread. Stay tuned!
Last edited by seanblurr on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zulu695

by zulu695

wow the color looks really nice!

Dalzhel

by Dalzhel

Nice frame and nice photo.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I'm loving the colour as well, looks smick! :up:

Personally I would go DA9000 but I am more of a fan of Shimano groupos than anything else.

stormur

by stormur

Color is simply fabulous !!!

I wonder only why Venge is so …. heavy :?: :shock:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

locktopus

by locktopus

That paint work is fantastic. Can't wait to see this built up!

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Thanks!

So my thinking on the rather obese frame weight has to do with the paint. You can tell it's pretty thick, and it took a lot to get this thing coated. Just like white, which is notorious for being heavy. I bet to get this type of color they had to lay down a white primer prior to the actual color going on. Thats probably where 200g is..
Instagram @seanblurr

JasperGr

by JasperGr

I like those neon look frames! I can't wait to see the full build! If I understand it right your drop is a way lesser then on the willier? Are you already picked a 17dgr stem?

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That is a serious colour!! Should look nice when built though

seanblurr

by seanblurr

JasperGr wrote:I like those neon look frames! I can't wait to see the full build! If I understand it right your drop is a way lesser then on the willier? Are you already picked a 17dgr stem?

My first guess without measurements is that I will be running a 90mm -6 and probably 10mm of spacers. Truth be told I could easily be using a 49 Venge, but this 52 was available months ahead of the 49 and it's got very similar geo to the FM069 I raced last year, so the 52 works as well. The Wilier right now is a shorter reach with a +6 100mm stem. Unfortunately the steerer was cut flush prior to transferring my fit numbers over. The only way to achieve similar stack/reach numbers was to flip the stem. Since I will be able to run a regular -6 stem on the Venge with spacers to reach my numbers, I will most likely be back on a 90mm stem since the frame is slightly longer. This could change slightly once I actually take measurements, but probably not by much. It's going to be a HUGE early season change because I also changed out my crank arm length. I went from 172.5 (I'm 5'6, not sure why I ever had these) to 165mm. I spent a couple days with multiple fitters testing crank arm length and the data supported the huge jump to 165's. I also went from compact to mid compact. It'll be very interesting!
Instagram @seanblurr

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Little teaser shot

Instagram @seanblurr

Krull

by Krull

The sl5 with the nibali-colour-scheme, here on the board, (small framesize) is weighing 1213 gr. w. bb, so i think, 1240 for a venge is absolutely ok. specialized-framesets simply are not the lightest-ones.

This is the biggest-possible contrast to your previous bike. :)
nevertheless i am not a fan of the venge, i am very curious about finished bike in this case. :thumbup:

upside

by upside

Love the paint... have fun.

headwind816

by headwind816

Great color! I love color on bikes (and running gear) likely because my professional outfits are so boring.

I will be interested in hearing your experience on the aero bike. I am aero-curious; if I can find an aero bike with ideal geometry, I just may have to try it out as my next bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ak47

by ak47

Never been a fan of Specialized bicycles, but that Venge in this colorway looks superb (altough quality of the picture probably adds a lot)