Colnago M10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ruffrider

by ruffrider

Just reviving an old thread.....
well must admit whilst Ive been very happy with the ride of my M10's (yes plural) both have suffered cracks in the chainstays about 100mm back from the bottom bracket.
So not impressed with the longevity of the frame....should have gone with a C59 in hindsight.

The first was replaced under warranty which took 5-6 months and the second I'm having repaired now.
Apparently its not a structural issue (at least for the second frame) as once ground back its just some filler in the frame that obviously hasn't been up to the job of the flex in the chainstays and it cracks in a vertical line along the chainstay.
The first frame had cracks on the outside of the frame, the second on the inside (so not visible unless you remove the rear wheel).

Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue although you won't find it mentioned on the web much....<sigh>

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Say what? Warranty issue?

ruffrider

by ruffrider

@psm yes it would be a warranty issue but the frame is out of warranty and it took about 6 months to get a replacement frame last time it was just easier to get it fixed properly as the cost to send it back was only a bit less than the repair....so those with M10 frames check your chainstays for vertical cracking (ok its only the filler not coping with flex so nothing structural but still) if its within warranty (its only 2 years these days).

ruffrider

by ruffrider

for those who are interested...the M10 isnt a full monocoque...its a two-piece monocoque that is bonded together...its at this join on the chainstays that the vertical cracking was evident...as mentioned before the frame is structurally sound, its just the filler used at the chainstays doesn't cope with a bit of flex and a vertical crack is experienced.
My first frame had it on the outside of the chainstays and was replaced...although it took a while.
The second frame had it on the inside of the chainstays...not visible until you remove the rear wheel.
I still like riding it but a bit disappointed in the design...imo a two piece monocoque isnt a monocoque at all!!

liam7020

by liam7020

Sorry to about your bad luck Ruffrider. Soon as I saw your post I dashed out to check my M10 but it seems ok so far! Out of interest can I ask your weight and what your road conditions are like? Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ruffrider

by ruffrider

Not sure about bad luck, poor design more likely!
I'm 84kgs, 6'1 and a bit, on a 54 sloping frame, road conditions are good here in Oz, about 98% of my riding is on the flat too.
The disappointing thing is on each frame I'd only done around 4,000kms before evidence of the vertical cracking showed (yeah I don't ride it as much as I should but I use a different bike for commutes). I'd like to think that it was due to my immense power in take off and sprints that it occurred but that would be wishful thinking!! haha.
The carbon repair guy said its not uncommon for 'monocoques' to have two pieces as it makes it cheaper to make (not real helpful when you've shelled out significant cash for a top end frame).The M10s are allegedly made by Giant so guess its no surprise really that its done this way.....
Interestingly he was repairing another M10 at the same time with the same issue..

Franklin

by Franklin

ruffrider wrote:The M10s are allegedly made by Giant so guess its no surprise really that its done this way.....

If there's one company with a long and solid experience with top quality Carbon Fibre it's Giant. Your thinly veiled accusations is utterly clueless.

ruffrider

by ruffrider

@Franklin obviously you havent had 2 M10s that have both cracked in the same area....not that I was saying it was Giants fault...rather that the method used is 2 piece and no surprises they have used this method as its cheaper to make.

Franklin

by Franklin

ruffrider wrote:not that I was saying it was Giants fault...

ruffrider wrote:The M10s are allegedly made by Giant so guess its no surprise really that its done this way.....

Yes, you were actually saying it was no surprise they choose this cheaper method as it is done by Giant. So you are indeed saying that if they hadn't chosen for Giant it would be up to perfect Italian standards :mrgreen:

I can't help it that you put it down like that :wink:

PSM

by PSM

"ruffrider"?

sastre

by sastre

Franklin wrote:
ruffrider wrote:not that I was saying it was Giants fault...

Yes, you were actually saying it was no surprise they choose this cheaper method as it is done by Giant. So you are indeed saying that if they hadn't chosen for Giant it would be up to perfect Italian standards :mrgreen:

I can't help it that you put it down like that :wink:

I didn't read it like that think you should calm down franklin just a statement.

R.E damage / but lightning doesn't strike twice right.

I thought the m10 was a one piece frame you learn something new everyday.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

ruffrider

by ruffrider

I'm not really into forum flame wars so take it whichever way you like!

Yes its happened twice to me..so not impressed. Poor design IMO.
Would I buy another m10?....whilst I like the ride, the cracking issue is a design fault that shouldn't occur..maybe the m10s has addressed it but I don't know the difference between the two frames to know this. In hindsight I would have gone a C59 (I see C60 is out now)...but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'd probably buy another Colnago that isn't a monocoque but for now I'm still keeping the repaired m10.

As for the ruffrider alias...bit of a joke really as over here its a novelty condom rather than how I ride!

Franklin

by Franklin

ruffrider wrote:I'm not really into forum flame wars so take it whichever way you like!

The reason why I reacted is because I'm not to fond about over generalisations about out-sourcing as both the economic as the cultural ends of those generalisations are often iffy.

Yes its happened twice to me..so not impressed. Poor design IMO.
Would I buy another m10?....whilst I like the ride, the cracking issue is a design fault that shouldn't occur..maybe the m10s has addressed it but I don't know the difference between the two frames to know this.

I'd say that given your experiences you are right about that. Also, I am 99.99% sure the M10s and the M!0 are made the same way, otherwise Colnago would have paraded it as a new model (M11? M20?)

PSM

by PSM

Any news here?

After 4 seasons on my M10 it is still the best road bike I have own. Amazing in all respects.