Mr. Black - 5kg Budget Build (New Pics Pg.6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nicholas2093

by nicholas2093

awesome project that you have on :-) ... cant wait to see the finish result..

djconnel

by djconnel

It's interesting: your bike and my bike are pretty close. You got lighter bars (I want 38 cm bars and that limits options without going out to 31.8 mm, which increases stem and bar weight both, so barely any point to that). You're also cheaper, going to swap meets. But your crank is heavier (20 g?) and wheels are 200 grams heavier. That's going to be a hard hole to crawl out from, since I barely beat 5 kg.

That is, unless you go to downtube shifters. Nothing wrong with downtube shifters, of course. But I think that's your only serious shot at this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raxel

by Raxel

If your brakeset is purchased secondhanded, I suspect they put a STEEL nuts instead of stock aluminium ones. (which will explain 14 gram weight difference) You can get some from torronto cycles or somewhere else.

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

djconnel:
At this point of the build with some items coming in over claimed weight and not using downtube shifters I will have to admit defeat with the goal of 5.0kg and have to settle for sub 5.1kg for the first build. Maybe later I will find a deal on a lighter fork and maybe do a glamor pose with some Tufo's to hit the weight, for now I will live with it. I am done buying parts for a little while and now just need to assemble and ride it. While I am for sure going to miss my goal on the weight, I can't feel too bad since my total money spent is $2612.12. Not too bad if I say so.

Raxel:
If you are talking about the nuts that hold the brakes onto the bike, the ones that are in the picture are aluminum, sadly. The only thing I can think of is that yellow swiss stops are heavier than the stock pads and the rest of the brake has a little extra material here and there.

Here are some of the final parts which includes more stuff that came in over claimed weight :cry:

KMC X10SL - links removed (232g) I am a little sad about this since I have seen this chain pictured on weight weenies lighter than mine without any links removed.

Some overweight Sram stuff and my attempt to fix it.
Sram Red Shifters Stock (294g) Kinda sad that to get them to claimed weight I would have to get BTP carbon clamps.
Stock Clamps (30g)
Modified Clamps (24g) - mods include Ti hardware and slightly lengthened slots in bands.
Tuned Sram Red shifters (288.5)

Sram Red FD Stock (70.5g)
Tuned Red FD with aluminum bolts (67.5g)

The only Red piece to come in at claimed weight.
Sram Red RD (145g)
Stock Red barrel adjuster (5.5g)
Aluminum barrel adjuster (1g)

Tuned Sram Red RD (134.5g) mods include KCNC jockey wheels, aluminum barrel adjuster, and removing excess cage material and logo removal.

Once I get the i-link housing put together I will get some pictures up of that.
Last edited by Comanche_man on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Weight Weenies:
Cannondale Evo HM (In Progress)
Cannondale CAAD 9 - 6.44kg
Cannondale CAAD 5 Track - 6.55kg
Kona Kula Supreme Mtb - 8.97kg

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

DamoRider

by DamoRider

This is looking great. You could get some BTP shift clamps to save even more weight. I am in the process of sanding my Ridley Damocles which is taking a long time...I thought I was going to leave it nude but now I don't know if that is a good idea. I have finished all the easy sanding now have to hit the BB and headtube. Did you do everything with 120 and move to finer; where did you stop?

giantdale

by giantdale

When every gram counts, surely you should use KMC X11SL chain. Shifting with 10 speed drivetrain could not be better IMO. My chain (105 + missing link) weighs 216 g.

MARLON

by MARLON

giantdale wrote:When every gram counts, surely you should use KMC X11SL chain. Shifting with 10 speed drivetrain could not be better IMO. My chain (105 + missing link) weighs 216 g.

Great chain..but last only about 1500 in good conditions on my bikes...
BACK IN BLACK

giantdale

by giantdale

Darn. I still hope mine does better, though. I developed a very special lubricating technique :D .

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

DamoRider:
I started with 220 grit and moved from there. I think 120 grit would be too rough and you could get some deep scratches with it. Since I was going to paint it I stopped at 400 grit.

giantdale:
I did not realize that the X11SL was lighter than the X10, nor did I realize that it was compatible with 10spd. Thanks for the tip. I will just ride the current chain until it wears out and then try out the X11 SL.

And now the final set of pictures before the build:

BB cable guide with aluminum bolt (3.5g)
Cane Creek ZS-3 Headset (66g) add the crown race and total comes to 73g.

Powercordz Shift cable pair (5.5g)
Alligator iLink mini shifter housing (24.5g)
Steel brake cables (26g)
Alligator iLink brake housing (32g)

Deda bartape (46g)
Deda remnants after taping (4.5g)
Total weight of bar tape used 42g

Items not pictured:
Carbon Spacers (9g)
Vittoria Mastik glue

I believe I have now shown all the parts required to build a bicycle, so now I just have to build it. Give me some time and I will take pictures of the finished product.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:
De Rosa Primato, 1988 Cannondale Criterium, Cannondale CAAD 8, Surly Steamroller, YETI ASR

djconnel

by djconnel

I still think you're only around 5.25 kg. Impressive work, however!

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Well the bike is finally built except for gluing the tires on. It's amazing how heavy my CAAD 9 feels when picking up it and the CR1 back to back. I am excited for the weather to get nice so I can actually ride the bike.

The final build list with weights based on individual parts. I will get some pictures of it on a hanging scale after I get the tires glued on.

There appears to be something lurking in my attic

Outdoor pictures to come when I have a chance to take them.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes:

Raxel

by Raxel

Great build (and picture as well!)

Aren't those tires TT only by the way? I'd put a little heavier tires and cassette for more ridable build though.

masters324

by masters324

Neat! more photos please!! How did you take the paint off the shifters etc... looks like it's still glossed?

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice work! I was wrong, obviously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Comanche_man

by Comanche_man

Raxel:
The tires on there are technically a TT/tri tire, but I figure that these wheels are more for special occasions anyway. I also have 3 other road bikes and tend to rotate a lot and I don't race road, so it is a non issue. I also just bought some deep section tubular wheels that I will use for more everyday use.

masters324:
The shifters were just sanded carefully and re clear coated. I think I used 320 then moved to 400 and finally 800 grit. To make things easy I just popped the brake lever blade off and did it separately and left the shift lever attached and just masked off everything.

djconnel:
You were close; as they say every gram counts. Now I just need to get some "Mt. Washington wheels" to get me under 5.0kg. :lol: I suspect those might cost a little more than what I paid for the KOM wheels though.

And now the bike on the scales. I got the tires glued up and did 5 coats for each wheel and still came in under my estimate of 25grams of glue, not sure if I should be concerned or not.

Hopefully Friday will be sunny and I am able to get home from work before the sun sets so I can get some real pictures posted.
Current Weight Weenies:

Other Bikes: